PDA

View Full Version : What version of Kinect will work for Lightwave an Mac ?

moremetall
07-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi !
Not to clear but what version of Kinect will work with Mac and NeronMotion? (XBOX or Windows)
Br
Micael

wesleycorgi
07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Apparently none, because they are using Microsoft's Kinect drivers which are Win only.

CaptainMarlowe
07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
So it means that if you want to do mocap+kinect on Mac, you'll need fastmocap to capture your bvh's and nevronmotion for retargeting ? It is not 399, but 399+149$ (kinect not included...) - or just go with bootcamp.
I'll pass. Too expensive for a hobbyist, even enthusiastic about LW.
Or peharps give a go to fastmocap and retarget with animeeple would be enough ?

lwanmtr
07-24-2013, 02:38 AM
I would hope that by the official release of nevron, they will have a mac implementation...would seem like a bit of a snub if they dont even attempt it. Specially since everything else they are doing is on both platforms.

moremetall
07-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Lets hope we get support in Mac as well ( should be possible, others did it so why not Newtek) ... Did order the PC version of Kinect today, I have to try it via BootCamp and Win 7.

lwanmtr
07-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Hopefully it works fine.

RebelHill
07-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Kinect itself ISNT and NT product... there's LOADS of these kinect capture apps now, and only one with mac support. Maybe NT can do something, or maybe given the implementation/driver access they basing their system off they can't. But I dont think you can blame them if this turns out to be a no-go for mac users. I mean... kinect is a MICROSOFT thing... whattaya expect?

lwanmtr
07-24-2013, 03:42 AM
Well, they made a promise long ago that LW on both platforms would be equal in ability...since nevron is a plugin for LW, then it needs to have the same functionality on both platforms. Just my opinion.

RebelHill
07-24-2013, 03:48 AM
But... if they're LIMITED by things outside of their control... what do you expect them to do?? The only way to keep parity in such a situation would be to not include features for the side of the fence that can use them. Its like the nvidia 3D vision stuff that's new in 11.6... good luck with that on a mac.

MentalFish
07-24-2013, 03:49 AM
If they want it to work on Mac they can: http://www.alan-pipitone.com/index.php/en/blogeng/apple-mac/item/84-use-kinect-with-mac-osx

The makers of the technology behind Kinect, PrimeSense, also stated that: "Commercial apps are allowed and they can be packaged with OpenNI/NITE."

wesleycorgi
07-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Using OpenNI, I've gotten my Mac to work with Kinect and was able to use some of the freely available Kinect apps. Therefore, I had assumed LW would go this route with Nevron when I purchased (and hopefully they still will).

I've gotten used to "cross-platform" apps not having feature parity on the Mac side. But if they do not ultimately include a way for Macs to connect to Kinect, they need to explicitly state and reduce the cost of the Mac version.

wesleycorgi
07-24-2013, 04:32 AM
I heard this rumor last week about Apple buying Primesense, the company behind the Kinect technology: http://www.express.co.uk/news/science-technology/415284/Apple-in-talks-to-buy-developer-of-technology-used-in-Xbox-360-gadget-Kinect

The ultimate FU would be Apple buying the tech and making it Mac only.

lwanmtr
07-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Why would that not surprise me...Apple has a way of doing some bonehead things.

Yes, if they do not include a way for mac users to use kinect, they should state it clearly. While I have Win7 also on my Mac, I dont often go there, unless I need 3dMax or Motion Builder for something, since I have most of what I need on mac.

LW_Will
07-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Okay... got this from Dave Vrba today at the show.
Lightwave doesn't support the Kinect sensor on the Mac version of the program.
You can still use the other part of the program, mocap retargeting.
You just need to get the mocap from somewhere... like a PC version of LW running Nevron Motion. ;-)

Or, you could use Kinect for PC (not for the 360) with a Mac. (My idea, not Dave's) It goes like this, the PC version of the Kinect (Kinect for PC... $150 on the Microsoft store) uses drivers that are built in to Nevron Motion plugin. The 360 requires drivers... only available on the PC.

This is a Microsoft problem... of course, blame them...

CaptainMarlowe
07-25-2013, 12:54 AM
Yes, this is a microsoft problem, but there are also alternatives to official drivers like openkinect that are being used is a software like fastmocap and that LW3DG could use to keep Mac and PC versions on par. What's the point of paying the same price for a Mac user for a plug-in that only works at 50% and forces you to use workarounds like starting on boot camp (and thus buy a windows licence !) to use your plug-in.
If LW3DG is sincere on keeping PC and Mac versions equal, they, imho, should investigate the alternative solutions to use a kinect with a Mac, since we know they exist.

lwanmtr
07-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Or at the very least a price reduction on the mac version, if they choose to not dive into it.

Greenlaw
07-25-2013, 03:30 AM
FWIW, according to posts I've read at the iPi Soft forums and the FAQ page in the iPi Soft Wiki, Mac users are successfully running iPi Motion Capture 2.0 with Kinect under Boot Camp, and iPi Soft is using the standard Windows SDK drivers (currently 1.7) for Kinect support. Technically, I think this means Nevron Kinect should work under Boot Camp. Sorry, I have no way to test this myself though since I don't have a Mac here.

G.

wesleycorgi
07-25-2013, 03:48 AM
, you could use Kinect for PC (not for the 360) with a Mac. (My idea, not Dave's) It goes like this, the PC version of the Kinect (Kinect for PC... $150 on the Microsoft store) uses drivers that are built in to Nevron Motion plugin. The 360 requires drivers... only available on the PC.
Note: this is the price of the Academic version (meaning you have to be a student or teacher in higher education) to qualify. Everyone else it is $250.

lwanmtr
07-25-2013, 03:58 AM
Boot camp though, isnt exactly a valid workaround. Yes I have Win7 and it could be an option for me, but many dont run windows on their macs.
Its why they should be looking into openkinect or any solution they can to get this on mac.

mav3rick
07-25-2013, 04:00 AM
But... if they're LIMITED by things outside of their control... what do you expect them to do?? The only way to keep parity in such a situation would be to not include features for the side of the fence that can use them. Its like the nvidia 3D vision stuff that's new in 11.6... good luck with that on a mac.
imho... buying quadro cards is waste of money. on the other hand there is DX vs OPEN GL vs open cl vs .... and thank to MS/APPLE policy that is not gonna change.. in the end.. we artists suffer.. i have expensive but more affordable "gaming" gfx card GTX 680 with 2 gig ram. For ages we are waiting for serious boost in performance even though i know majority of issues comes from mesh system but display shaders that will help me with lightning, surfacing is something i look for. Enabling shaders inside lw is somethin i apploud but even more i would like to get OCC, LIGHTNING, Reflection, shadows to be implemented to use full potential of DX cards. So in that manner even though i appreciate MAC users reality is that we cant please all . Majority of us "PC" users suffer due OS limitations and we dont move anywhere so if you ask me . unless you run UBUNT on MAC based platform you should live up with limited features on MAC.

LW_Will
07-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Note: this is the price of the Academic version (meaning you have to be a student or teacher in higher education) to qualify. Everyone else it is $250.

Ah, yes. Sorry. Quick google search, early morning... dog ate it...

But also know that it is relatively easy to come by a child. Son or daughter, grandchild, even a niece or nephew... it is doable.

lwanmtr
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Haha...yep, you can just go to your local family dealer. or if you cant afford a new one, you can always find used kids at the thrift mart.

moremetall
07-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi!
Confirmation that Kinect windows support works in a bootcamp installation of win 7. ( got it to work this morning )

lwanmtr
07-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Thats good....now to hear if LW3DG is going to tap into the open source drivers and get it working on mac...lol