07-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Downloading the pre-release now :-)

mummyman
07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome! From page 282 of the PDF: Workflow Enhancements
Matching Perspective to Camera or Light View

evolross
07-23-2013, 10:16 AM
:i_agree: That's a much needed enhancement. So is DPX support! VFX people in film and TV have needed this for YEARS. No more converting image sequences before bringing them into LW (as long as the DPX-support CC's the DPX's correctly).

Elliot Ave
07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
where do you download the pre-release?

mummyman
07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
If you own LW already... you should have an account in the Lightwave3d.com store. It's in your download section.

vncnt
07-23-2013, 12:11 PM

I could not find this in the new features list. Does it involve shape manipulation inside Layout? I'm reading on (limited to) my cell phone right now.

Earl
07-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Glad to see the Jovian Color Picker has been integrated into LW! That's been needed for a while now.

Ma3rk
07-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Found a minor Glitch...

In all previous versions, I've generally turned OFF AutoScan plug-ins; had an issue of older previous versions of some plugs getting loaded and causing problems. So, after installing, registering, etc.ing LW11.6 I did the same.

Installed the 11.6 Content and loaded a scene from the new SplineControl Learning folder and was immediately confronted with unknown plug-in type for LW_ItemComment. Huh? Why should it have a problem with that?

Canceled out and tried a different scene under Props, the KatanaBeautyShots scene. Immediatley got an error of unsupported file type for a png image.

Double Huh.

Cleared & tried a third scene, the Raycast_Camshat scene. No plug-in type of EnvironmentHandler LW_TexturedEnvironment. Huh, Huh, Huh?

OK, what's going on here? What did I do different? Remembered turning of AutoScan of plug-ins so turned it back ON & restarted Layout.

Now everything loaded w/o a problem. OK, but let me test something. So, turned Autoscan back OFF and restarted Layout.

Back to the same problems.

Fortunately a minor issue but thought I should mention it even though this is a Pre-Release.

M.

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-23-2013, 05:58 PM

There is a plugin that does this and a lot more, like rendering directly from a Pesrpective/Light view, or creating a camera from those views and exist since version 7 or 8, if i'm not mistaken. Couldn't live without it when working in Layout...

prometheus
07-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Yes, I just noticed that when browsing through the vpr display options...I had that on my own prometheus lw 12 enhancehments list, Houdini had itīs tie perspective view to camera, and now we have similar.
I didnīt notice that presented as a workflow enhancement presentation, it should be in there. match perspective to camera, thumbs up for that, now I can uncheck that from my list.
And yes we had plugin before, but this is much easier to work with.

I know a guy did a script for adding camera target, could we now soon get a simple checkbox next to camera properties that adds a dynamic camera target, and also a camera type that can be added in the drop down with
the name camera target or something like that.

Oh...throw in a built in subdiv wireframe render checkbox, even though we have a plugin..done right it will boost workflow even more:)
"Big things have small beginnings..."

Michael

MSherak
07-23-2013, 09:05 PM
There is a plugin that does this and a lot more, like rendering directly from a Pesrpective/Light view, or creating a camera from those views and exist since version 7 or 8, if i'm not mistaken. Couldn't live without it when working in Layout...

Here is the update to PViewMC script for 11.x
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?98790-make-camera-keyframe-what-I-see-in-perspective-view&p=1324371&viewfull=1#post1324371

Clemens
07-24-2013, 02:54 AM
Gave it a test run and was really looking forward to the new 3D Printing Tools... unfortunately they are still disabled?

prometheus
07-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Gave it a test run and was really looking forward to the new 3D Printing Tools... unfortunately they are still disabled?
dont have a printer, but they seem to be working, I imported, and test export, you have to click ok on the first requester wich has only non manifold edges checked, that will open a new requester.

Michael

Clemens
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
That's what i meant - all those Mesh Repair Functionalites are greyed out :/

prometheus
07-24-2013, 07:13 AM
That's what i meant - all those Mesh Repair Functionalites are greyed out :/

I think it is an automatic recognizion of that, add a box, delete one side and run the exporter and youll see that it automaticly adds the checked cap hole option.
think it must be the same with other faulty geometry.

Michael

Clemens
07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Wow - thanks, you are right. So it seems my meshes are correct :)

prometheus
07-24-2013, 10:06 AM
I have an issue with the new color picker, I canīt get realtime update in the vpr when changing colors, tried a lot of settings, but it doesnt update vpr until I close the color picker, from the video shown, it is updating so it must be there.

Michael

eKalb
07-24-2013, 11:10 AM

What is this used for? I'm trying to think of things you can do in perspective view that you can't do from camera or light view. Or am I not understanding what the new functionality is supposed to do?

prometheus
07-24-2013, 11:24 AM
try and spin and view your items from a camera point of view and spin around it until you get the desired view, you cant get the same fast feedback unless setting up a null and target the camera towards that, in such
case you can spin around similar, but you have to set that up first, I would like to see additional cam targe options to just check ..an voila we have that too. thereīs a plugin script helping with that too.

but as mentioned perspective view gives limitless rotation viewing angles and zooming,paning wich is more cumbersome to arrive to when just moving and rotating the cam, sometimes you might want to tumle in nice view from perspective, then
have that matched to a cam point of view, thereīs been a lot of us wanting that..a plugin was made for it, and now itīs built in, so thereīs definitly a reason why itīs there.

As mentioned try and spin around your item 360 degrees to find that perfect spot view with the cam view, youll find out that you cant.

eKalb
07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Ok, I see now, it matches the camera or light to the perspective view. I thought it was doing the opposite (Moving perspective view to where camera or light is) It was the way it is worded. "Matching Perspective to Camera or Light" to me means changing the perspective view to match the camera view or light view. I was wondering why someone would need to have the perspective view match a camera or light view exactly when they could just do what they needed to from camera or light view.

prometheus
07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Ok, I see now, it matches the camera or light to the perspective view. I thought it was doing the opposite (Moving perspective view to where camera or light is) It was the way it is worded. "Matching Perspective to Camera or Light" to me means changing the perspective view to match the camera view or light view. I was wondering why someone would need to have the perspective view match a camera or light view exactly when they could just do what they needed to from camera or light view.

well you said it yourself, quite unlogic otherwise? the thing is that you cant in camera viewpoint match to perspective, thereīs no option for that, in perspective view you can match it to a camera view.

Babylon was never finished...to many languages and the people building it coulnīt understand each other, I think that communication in every aspect of life is a huge bug causing a lot of errors, isnīt it? :):)

Michael

Ma3rk
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
I have an issue with the new color picker, I canīt get realtime update in the vpr when changing colors, tried a lot of settings, but it doesnt update vpr until I close the color picker, from the video shown, it is updating so it must be there.

Michael

The original Jovian Color Picker works that way as well (doesn't update until you click OK) no matter which application you're using it with. I'll have to take another look at the new features vid now though.

M.

prometheus
07-24-2013, 05:27 PM
The original Jovian Color Picker works that way as well (doesn't update until you click OK) no matter which application you're using it with. I'll have to take another look at the new features vid now though.

M.

weird..in the video I could swear I saw vpr update the color of a car when the color wheel changed, without closing it, and thatīs how I thought it should work, otherwise it is a little of a let down actually.

eKalb
07-24-2013, 06:20 PM
In the video, it shows it not updating until they close the color picker. Then later it looks like it is updating without closing it, but I think it's video editing. They cut the part where they click Ok to update, then open the color picker again and resume the demo. It's about 54 seconds into the 11.6 teaser video.

They need to make it update without closing the picker.

prometheus
07-24-2013, 07:38 PM
In the video, it shows it not updating until they close the color picker. Then later it looks like it is updating without closing it, but I think it's video editing. They cut the part where they click Ok to update, then open the color picker again and resume the demo. It's about 54 seconds into the 11.6 teaser video.

They need to make it update without closing the picker.

That looks a little like false advertising, maybe not intentional, canīt say to much about that since I get my free update, but others might complain if they see this and think it could update like that.
I wouldn mind if they make it work like that...a little downer as I mentioned if not.

prometheus
07-24-2013, 08:22 PM
I have some weird requesters showing up in lw 11.6 32 bit, canīt clear sceneīs without a reqester saying" cant find radiosity cache, select alternat file? and also when loading a scene with hv clouds, when clearing that it says, can find voxel cache select alternate file.
Same requesters shows up when loading scenes too.

Then I went in to paths options and was about to click on radiosity to set path, bang instant crash.

I also get a little too much crashes when working with procedural layers and vpr.

prometheus
07-25-2013, 08:49 AM
the crashes and requsters I had are now gone, might have helped when I closed lw 11.6 started 11.3 and worked with that for a while.

so back to 11.6 it loads and clears scenes fine again.
I was checking the raycast nodes, Ivé watched the siggraph presentation of it, I think it is a little to complicated having to set it up though, itīs getting a little like houdini with jumping in and out of nodes, I think that is generally
good, but I also think we need to be able to compile nodes as assets in a better way, and possible have a library preset for such things.

I was testing the raycast offset scene, adding the nodal motion alone wonīt get you any results, so that has to be setup..now I didnīt check that deep in to the functions of it all, math required:)
however..I thought I should simple select the whole node hiearchy and export as saved node, reload the nodes and see it that works, but it doesnīt bring in all the node connections as they were when exported, they are broken sort of and
some connections have to be made again.
Isnīt there a way to pack all nodes complety so they donīt break when imported again? I suspect I have missed that about nodes...is there a compound node needed or a container sort of?

Michael

BeeVee
07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
The main stumbling block for people with the RayCast node is not lifting the geom up enough to begin with to make sure it is "above" the floor object. The actual node network is extremely simple, just add Nodal Motion to the motion options, add the RayCast Geometry node, connect Intersect to Position and double click on the Ray Cast node to say what exactly you are intersecting.

B

prometheus
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
The main stumbling block for people with the RayCast node is not lifting the geom up enough to begin with to make sure it is "above" the floor object. The actual node network is extremely simple, just add Nodal Motion to the motion options, add the RayCast Geometry node, connect Intersect to Position and double click on the Ray Cast node to say what exactly you are intersecting.

B

Thanks for the heads up on that, I still feel that there must be a way to add such things as presets or that it contains the whole node when saved out, so you donīt have to redraw connections everytime.
understanding the nodes is of course helpful if you would want to make the best use of them, but as it is now ..it feels contra productive in workflow, I hope the node system in the future simply can allow us to "bake" or gather
all underlying nodes in to one main container asset node, easy to load in without doing new connections.
Best scenario would be to actually have an option to add such main container asset node in to a motion preset system.

Time is an asset:)

Michael

BeeVee
07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
You can do that in 11.6 with Compound nodes, or is that not what you meant?

B

prometheus
07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
You can do that in 11.6 with Compound nodes, or is that not what you meant?

B

yes...I noticed that node, I was testing it, but donīt know how to pack it in such node if possible...have to see if the compound node is documented well and read up on that.
Couldnīt find a way to copy the whole node network in the nodal motion and paste it inside of a compound node, must be doing it wrong.
Edit...found it documented, have to read up on it though.

Thanks

prometheus
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
i figured out the part of jumping in and out of the compound node by double clicking on the nodes in or out, is those just jump points? would be better if we could have a go to level above or in the nodeflow could have an exact representationof which node level you are in.

I expected it to copy all the nodes I select and simply paste those in to the compound node, but it leaves out the input node with item position/world position/frame/time and it leaves out the end node called nodal motion/position/rotation/scale..
so it is only the raycast geometry node and the convert hit normal node that is copied when pasted inside of the compound node...so I havenīt figured that out yet.

Michael

dwburman
07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I thought the same thing when I first read the title. I thought it was supposed to match a camera or light to the perspective view, but the text made it sound like the reverse, so I had to try it out and see it in action. Perhaps it'd be better to say "moves and rotates cameras and lights to match the perspective view" but that's too long for a feature name. :)

How about "Copy Perspective View to Cameras or Lights"?

zapper1998
07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
dont have a printer, but they seem to be working, I imported, and test export, you have to click ok on the first requester wich has only non manifold edges checked, that will open a new requester.

Michael

in modeler or layout??

prometheus
07-25-2013, 05:30 PM
in modeler or layout??

modeler

Cheers.

Michael

3dworks
08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
anyone knows whats about LW 11.6 placing an "input" node in every surface automatically. apparently this node cannot be removed. when opening the scene saved from 11.6 with 11.5.1, layout always is complaining about not finding that node. known bug/ issue? should i report by fogbugz?

nickdigital
08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Either a bug or something new they added. I'm not sure which.

spherical
08-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Anyone else seeing the built-in Jovian not displaying the color gradient in the upper left square window; only greyscale. Jovian works as expected. It's this way on both 32-bit and 64-bit. If that IS the way it's intended to work, what's the point of having a wide greyscale, that actually is changing colors as you blindly drag over it, and a narrow saturation gradient?

sukardi
08-03-2013, 08:00 PM
anyone knows whats about LW 11.6 placing an "input" node in every surface automatically. apparently this node cannot be removed. when opening the scene saved from 11.6 with 11.5.1, layout always is complaining about not finding that node. known bug/ issue? should i report by fogbugz?

I think it is a bug. It is after all, a pre-release...

However if you set your alert level to low, you will be able to open the scene in 15.1 (after clicking away the error) without problem. I just thought this may help some people...

dee
08-04-2013, 03:53 AM
It's a replacement for Spot Info which is gone in 11.6.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136865-Spot-Info-missing-from-Node-Editor-Displacement&p=1336976&viewfull=1#post1336976

jwiede
08-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I expected it to copy all the nodes I select and simply paste those in to the compound node, but it leaves out the input node with item position/world position/frame/time and it leaves out the end node called nodal motion/position/rotation/scale.

Right now, it works very similar to the TrueGroup plugin's group node, where you need to manually define the I/Os for the group.

However, from a workflow efficiency perspective I think there's still significant room for improvement, esp. in cut-n-paste cases like you describe. LW should be able to automatically "cull" the input node from the pasted network and instead add inputs corresponding with the connections from the input node. Likewise, if the "nodal output" node (name varies by nodal silo, f.e. for surfaces name is "Surface") is among the cut-n-pasted network, that should be culled and instead outputs created matching the connections to that output node instead. Put more directly, in cases where it knows certain nodes represent "edges" to the nodal network, it should step back from those edge nodes and manifest the connections to those edge nodes as the compound node's IOs.

The workflow needs to facilitate the easiest possible conversion of existing networks to compound nodes. Having a way to dump a text or XML manifest / representation of the contents of a compound node would also be highly useful (separate from saving/loading compounds). Still, all of that can wait for the next ordinal version, just having compounds at all is a great start -- so long as the existing save/load format supports automatic compound versioning or such so that later changes won't invalidate usability of existing compounds.

jwiede
08-07-2013, 02:08 AM
It's a replacement for Spot Info which is gone in 11.6.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136865-Spot-Info-missing-from-Node-Editor-Displacement&p=1336976&viewfull=1#post1336976

I think you may be confusing the "Input" node mentioned above with the "Info" node Matt described.

Nicolas Jordan
08-07-2013, 10:39 PM

I reported that one because it was really starting to drive me crazy!

MSherak
08-08-2013, 12:30 AM

I think this node has to be in here for the new raycasting available to the node editor. If you say no to all when the object is loaded back into 11.5.1 it will not harm the model from what I have tested.

Rajce
10-01-2013, 07:34 AM
@ MSherak: I do not know for you, but there I select "No to All" has not.

BeeVee
10-01-2013, 07:56 AM

It's not a node as such, more a context. Like the Surface destination "node" in the Surface Editor's node editor compared with the NodalMotion node in the Nodal Motion Node editor.

B