PDA

View Full Version : 11.5.1 hanging issues.

ActionBob
07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Ok all... I have been pulling out my hair for a couple of evenings. I have installed 11.5.1 and when I run layout, enter the key, things are fine. If I open modeler up, it runs fine (for a bit). The issue I am having is that when I try to switch between the apps, both will hang as if the HUB is not working correctly. I have even turned off my firewalls temporarily to see if it helps. It does, but only for a bit - I can switch between the two apps a few times and then BOOM.... HANG...

I have read that some have had issue with AVG's firewall being an issue, but I have added the .exe's to the allow applications list in both Windows Firewall and AVG.

11.5 was running just a couple of days ago on same machine just fine.

So... Shall I go back to 11.5 for now or has someone else with similar issues found a way to get these programs to NOT HANG?

I could add the -0 at the end of the shortcuts I guess.... But I do use the hub to communicate between the apps from time to time.

Please refrain from talking about "we need a unified app." That sentiment doesn't fix my current problem - and again, 11.5 was working fine under the same conditions.

Thanks!

-Adrian

shrox
07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Is it running under Win8? I have the same problem with 9.6.

ActionBob
07-21-2013, 11:53 AM
No, I am running under windows 7 64-bit. 11.5 was running fine. However, as some plugins recently had updates as well, I decided to go ahead and install new version of Lightwave and update the plug as well (LWcad, Octane). I have narrowed it down to the HUB and nework comm issues. I can run Layout and Modeler by adding the "-0" at the end of the target string in the programs properties. But if you do this, you get no connectivity between the apps. Granted, I don't switch back and forth constantly between then when I am working on something, but occasionally I do.......

I think it might have something to do with AVG's more aggressive stance with it's firewall policy not liking a new HUB. Previous version of Lightwave (11.5) was installed and given communication rights under windows firewall with a different anti-virus program running at the time. When the anti-virus expired, I bought AVG to try something different and Lightwave was already installed; the firewall settings must have just been inherited from Windows settings - so no issue. Now with new install, it must not like it.

Dunno..... Damn it, I want to check out my new Octane!!!

-Adrian

OnlineRender
07-21-2013, 01:55 PM
same issue here ... esp when you goto save I found this is generally caused when there is no mac/internet connection I need to run layout via windows + R command
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5.1\bin\Modeler.exe -0"
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5.1\bin\Layout.exe -0" or -i

dwburman
07-22-2013, 03:07 PM
With the -0 option does layout update the objects when they are saved in modeler? I thought that was how it's supposed to work, but I haven't actually tried it out.

GoatDude
07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Recent versions of AVG has problems with Lightwave. See thread.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134705-Strange-Issue-affecting-communications-within-Lightwave

LW_Will
07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Recent versions of AVG has problems with Lightwave. See thread.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134705-Strange-Issue-affecting-communications-within-Lightwave

I've had some recent problems with AVG myself. The current advice is, load the Microsoft Security Essentials and leave it at that. Seems as good as other Virus protectors, and the owners aren't trying to get you to spend another $50 with their company.

Just my .02 cents.

nickdigital
07-22-2013, 11:37 PM
With the -0 option does layout update the objects when they are saved in modeler? I thought that was how it's supposed to work, but I haven't actually tried it out.

I believe it still will. If you want to disable all communication between Modeler and Layout use -i.

ActionBob
07-23-2013, 07:51 AM
As I have always used the hub in the past, I don't know if I will update layout when a model is saved. I will have to try that out.

Yeah, I am thinking of using my serial for AVG on my laptop and going back to eSET NOD32 or something as Lightwave worked fine under those other options. AVG just doesn't seem to like it even when you tell it that the 3 parts of Lightwave are allowed to communicate how they want... Fortunately (or unfortunately), this laptop is ripe for taking my AVG license as Macaffe is due to expire very soon. So, it was going to be money spent in any case. Of course, there is the Microsoft Security Essentials option, which I have used in the past and it seems ok; my commercial anti-virus solutions have picked up some tracking cookies and really really OLD .exe files that looked funny...

I can get by without the hub working for now - this weekend will be a day of tinkering. Thanks for the input all...

-Adrian

OnlineRender
07-23-2013, 09:27 AM
FYi i have eset and commodo

evolross
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I used to get a LONG hang between Modeler in Layout when I did any of the following:

Running a Modeler with a Layout from two DIFFERENT versions of LW. For example if you have multiple versions of LW installed and you accidentally have shortcuts set to different versions. Sometimes Modeler or Layout will also accidentally start the wrong version when you click "Go To Layout" or "Go To Modeler". I find it best to open Layout first and then press "Go To Modeler" to get the right version running. But definitely check this.
Running multple Layout/Modeler instances will cause weird HUB hangs