PDA

View Full Version : Loading/Saving Scenes.

F1Racer
07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
This is an issue that has bugged me since Lightwave 3.0 on the Amiga so forgive me if it's been covered before but I would finally like some clarification on this....

Lets say I load up a scene. A scene that I may not have loaded up in a while and some of the assets and/or images have since moved location.
So when LW cannot find an object or image it will stop during loading and ask me where the files are. I then direct LW to where these 'missing' files now are and load up the scene successully and completely.
Why is it when I save the scene, these new paths are not updated ? Or are they ?

Yesterday this very thing happened. Loaded up a scene, it was missing an object and an image (maybe more once I told it which folder to look in).
Worked on the scene, saved it, rendered it out and saved it again just before exiting.

Today I load up the same scene and it is once again asking me to locate the same objects and images. Isn't this something that can be sorted out ?
Just by storing absolute paths of every asset in the scene right ? Or is it me that is doing something wrong. LW doesn't like assets outside of the normal folder structure ? Is this a rigid rule that everything must either be in the same folder or in the Scenes/Objects/Images folder structure ?

Thanks

Ryan Roye
07-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Lightwave's path/file detection still leaves a little to be desired even after all this time.

scallahan1
07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Did you try using "File/Package Scene" in Layout? I just did a quick test and it pulled some objects from out of the normal directory structure into the "Objects" directory where they belong, after I purposely moved them to the Desktop for the test.

Steve-o

F1Racer
07-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah I know that would work and in some cases thats a good thing to do. But if I can avoid having dupes of my objects and images that would be good too.

Ma3rk
07-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Generally, you need to save the scene AND objects, not just the scene.

F1Racer
07-21-2013, 11:40 AM
So, save the objects (before saving the scene) even though they have had no changes. And this makes the scene save the new object paths ? I`ll try that on this particular scene I ran today....

EDIT: Seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip. :)

zardoz
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
usually you don't think about these problems when you work alone...if you work in a network, alone or in a team you just can't be 'sloppy' with your files.lightwave works with a content folder so it needs the files in the right places. And I hope it stays like this. I work a place where most people uses 3ds max, and a lot of people tends to be sloppy with their files, so when you open a project it's a bit annoying when it starts asking for files that are located in someone else's desktop!.
So like they say tidy up! and keep those files in the right places. I do and I never had a problem, my projects are always complete, with all the needed files there, so if 10 years later you open a scene it opens fine.
cheers

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, lightwave lets you have two possible ways to organize your folders. check the manual for it.

F1Racer
07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh heaven help that someone should go against the grain of what LW wants.

zardoz, I am not sloppy ! The right place for the files are exactly where I decide to put them. We all work in different ways. Maybe it's time for LW to come off this 'you must put all your content in one place' idea. Sometimes HDDs get full or sometimes you want to store certain work in different places to others. A simple tweak can allow this. There can be many different reasons why people don't store all their content in c:\program files\newtek\LightwaveXX\Content
I have multiple content folders from older versions too. That is on top of a seperate folder where I keep other work.

Anyway the point is totally moot now as Ma3rk's suggestion solves the issue.

zardoz
07-22-2013, 02:41 AM
well,I have my projects everywhere...I don't use c:\program files...etc. I have projects in my computer, at work in the network, etc. I just respect the Project Name/ images, objects, scenes, etc structure. And this way I never have problems. Other software also use a content folder and are even more rigid than lightwave, like Softimage. Max isn't this rigid and at work we have problems all the time because we work in a team and people keep files everywhere. If you imagine how many times we have problems in te network because max can't find textures because someone left these textures in their own computer or somewhere lost in the network. When we are rendering with lightwave we never have these problems because all the files must be in the content folder.

F1Racer
07-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Well it's not strictly true when you say 'must be' Lightwave can work with files outside it's rigid folder structure quite nicely. However if by 'must be' you mean that you have rules for users to do that, then it should apply to the 3DMax people also.
All this fight for democracy and the we have the dictator that is Lightwave telling is where we should put things :) Well forgive me if I flout convention.

Sensei
07-22-2013, 07:31 AM
So, save the objects (before saving the scene) even though they have had no changes.

They HAVE changes. Images that are used as textures, have changed paths..

You can have surfacing/textures stored with scene, if you will use TrueArt's Global Materials (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/GlobalMaterials)
This would save you from copying and pasting objects over and over again between projects.

zardoz
07-22-2013, 08:22 AM
...Yesterday this very thing happened. Loaded up a scene, it was missing an object and an image (maybe more once I told it which folder to look in).Worked on the scene, saved it, rendered it out and saved it again just before exiting.
Today I load up the same scene and it is once again asking me to locate the same objects and images...

Well, you were asking how to stop having these problems...because I use lw's rules I never had this problem. I can easily take stuff from work, and back without a problem, simply copying the content folder for that project to a usbpen, or to skydrive, or whatever. If you want to keep your files everywhere, then you will keep having these issues.
cheers

F1Racer
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I am so glad you never had the problem but I am not such a conformist. There is no need to be.

But no I won't keep having these issues because, as I said, Ma3rk's tip works like a charm. Just a case of re-saving the objects before saving the scene.

I don't keep files 'everywhere'. I have multiple content folders from LW's 9.6, 10 and 11.5. On top of that I have a folder for my website work. That's it. Nowhere else. That's hardly everywhere.
In fact if the scene saved with absolute file-paths to all the scene's assets, you could put the files anywhere you want to. That's not to say be stupid about it and make it depend on files from other peoples desktops.

Each to his own. My issue was sorted by post #5 so I think we can leave this issue here before it deteriorates.

F1Racer
07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the link Sensei. That looks like an interesting plugin.