PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Plugin Database Now Live!

Matt
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Just a heads up, the LightWave plugin database is now live:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

Cageman
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
NIIICE!!!!! :) :thumbsup:

MSherak
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
just a heads up, the lightwave plugin database is now live:

this is fantastic!!!!!!!!

Nicolas Jordan
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice! :thumbsup: Now the challenge will be to maintain this database. :D

Matt
07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Nice! :thumbsup: Now the challenge will be to maintain this database. :D

We're gonna be adding more functionality to this, like the gallery, which is kept up to date quite easily.

nickdigital
07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Very cool!

MAUROCOR
07-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Very nice indeed! It is more than welcome!;)

50one
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Awesome! Now, please add some Ajax category switcher so it will be easier to categorize - Layout / Modeler / Commercial :)

xchrisx
07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
How might the devs update description, links, etc?

pinkmouse
07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Excellent. It would be nice if we could filter by OS. Possibly depressing for us Mac users though...:)

Cageman
07-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I do hope that active third party devs can request a login to update their set of plugins and add new ones.

What would be really cool is if as soon as a dev updates a plugin or adds a new one, it goes out as a news item on the main page in a "third-party news" slot, or something. :)

Skorp
07-19-2013, 03:15 PM
It's great !!!!! Bravo

Lewis
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Excellent news and nice looking, kudos to all involved.

MarcusM
07-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Great idea to add plugins database directly on LW website. New users will se that something going on around LW :]
Cool thing would be during adding plugin to Modeler or Layout, in the same time you can add plugin to menu tab. Not specialy go to configure menu and looking new plugin by name etc.

sukardi
07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Matt,

This is great. Let's hope to the return of good old days of flay.com (upgraded with current tech, of course)...

3dworks
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
QUOTE=Cageman;1332495]I do hope that active third party devs can request a login to update their set of plugins and add new ones.

What would be really cool is if as soon as a dev updates a plugin or adds a new one, it goes out as a news item on the main page in a "third-party news" slot, or something. :)[/QUOTE]

brilliant idea! and yes for a bit more filtering options. thanks matt, this is a milestone...

EDIT: ok, there are the tags, found out now. :thumbsup:[

DuneBoy
07-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Awesome! Great job Matt. :D :thumbsup:

erikals
07-19-2013, 07:07 PM
I do hope that active third party devs can request a login to update their set of plugins and add new ones.

What would be really cool is if as soon as a dev updates a plugin or adds a new one, it goes out as a news item on the main page in a "third-party news" slot, or something. :)

ditto that!

looks nice. also comment fields would be very welcome. and maybe integration of youtube videos?

xchrisx
07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
one other nice thing would be a contact the author button or something, either email or pm on the forum. often times a bug happens and devs dont know about it because no one ever reports it.

Shiny_Mike
07-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Awesome! Great job Matt. :D :thumbsup:

Heh, thanks to all those who worked on this for sure! :thumbsup:

UnCommonGrafx
07-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I need to go away from the computer more often.

Excellent.

allabulle
07-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice! At last! Thanks, LWG.

saranine
07-19-2013, 10:31 PM
OK. For the exercise I tried out a plug in on the list. I installed the lscript one for notepad++.

Seems to work OK.

Matt
07-19-2013, 11:44 PM
All good suggestions guys, many are on the list, after SIGGRAPH though.

Ztreem
07-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Nice! Thanks!

Kuzey
07-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Lovely..things are looking oh so cool..great work LW team :P

ps..I sent an email about my surfaces for the third party section.

Kuzey

djwaterman
07-20-2013, 04:01 AM
And I checked the entry for PX UV Creeper and it shows only the 32 bit version. It has recently been updated to 64 bit and this is the better link

http://www.pictrix.jp/?s=UV_Creeper&submit=Search

hrgiger
07-20-2013, 09:06 AM
looks great.

stobbs
07-20-2013, 09:20 AM
I notice www.lwplugindb.com now points to this 'official' DB so presumably NT has taken over Ken Nign's site? Either way thanks to everyone involved as LWDB has been a life safer in the past.. :thumbsup:

ivanze
07-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Nice work Matt and LW3DG!!

Netvudu
07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
and the ball keeps rolling!

jasonwestmas
07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Daaaaaang! Never thought I'd see that. It definitely improves the image of NT's commitment to the 3D game.

Ryan Roye
07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Get your layout coord tools on that database Matt! Probably one of the best plugins ever for animators.

Megalodon2.0
07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
This is an excellent move! :thumbsup:

I certainly have missed Flay.

lardbros
07-20-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm really glad this has happened... yet another step in the direction us users have been asking for for years! It makes us all feel very warm on the inside! (and no, not because it's 30 degrees here in the UK, and has been for nearly 2 weeks)

khan973
07-20-2013, 05:59 PM
ditto that!

looks nice. also comment fields would be very welcome. and maybe integration of youtube videos?

+10 for Erikals videos links on Youtube!

Great work Matt & the Team! I was looking forward to seeing that and also a page for Presets.
It's heading to the right direction, where this website becomes a hub for all LightWave artists.

Matt
07-20-2013, 07:55 PM
+10 for Erikals videos links on Youtube!

Great work Matt & the Team! I was looking forward to seeing that and also a page for Presets.
It's heading to the right direction, where this website becomes a hub for all LightWave artists.

YouTube links are already there, for example:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/coord-tools-pack/

We will be opening up submissions etc. but they will need to be moderated, like the gallery, to avoid spam/abuse etc.

And definitely this will not stop at just plugins, note the "asset/plugin" URL. Key word being "asset"! ;)

probiner
07-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Nice move! To me some "small" changes would make a nice differenct to the current system:
- Plugin that browses and downloads plugins.
- Give the option to assign Menu or Shortcurts to newly added plugins.

Cheers

alexs3d
07-22-2013, 12:54 AM
wow, awesome, thanks for the work...

evenflcw
07-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Wow, that is great! I like the date sorting. However it is unclear what date it is - date of first release or date of latest release/update. It would indeed be a good way to track the plugin scene by simply sorting and filtering plugins which have been added or updated within say the last month. Possibly something LWG newsletters could include as standard aswell (a link to a search query might suffice even). Well done!

MarcusM
07-22-2013, 09:13 AM
YouTube links are already there, for example:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/coord-tools-pack/

We will be opening up submissions etc. but they will need to be moderated, like the gallery, to avoid spam/abuse etc.

And definitely this will not stop at just plugins, note the "asset/plugin" URL. Key word being "asset"! ;)

That means we should expect presets database soon ;]

Areyos Alektor
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
After "LW Plugin DB", "Preset Central" ? :)

erikals
07-30-2013, 06:14 PM
that would be a good call... :phone_cal

literally http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

allabulle
07-31-2013, 02:53 AM
Yup. Who's got the number?

sami
07-31-2013, 03:31 AM
one other nice thing would be a contact the author button or something, either email or pm on the forum. often times a bug happens and devs dont know about it because no one ever reports it.

I put a spam-free email plus twitter handle in the description of my plugins, but yes, a formal non-spammable field or two for twitter, email etc would be useful.

sami
07-31-2013, 03:41 AM
All good suggestions guys, many are on the list, after SIGGRAPH though.

Thanks for doing this / incorporating the excellent lwplugindb!! Very nice, and about time Newtek took the reins on this! :)

Please do give us authors logins like on the old lwplugindb so we can easily update descriptions, screenshots, logos and links to download. It will be much less likely for me to go to the trouble of emailing and awaiting a response to ask for a change of something of mine in the db, but if you give me my author db as before, then it's way easier to keep plugins up to date and actually encourages me to make updates and add new plugins.

I'd prefer if the author logins were not necessarily tied to our lw3d registrations for our software downloads but kept separate if that is possible...

dpont
12-06-2013, 12:09 AM
I thought that this database could be opened one day,
with a kind of explicit process for adding plugin entry properly,
and possible legitimate access for authors themselves.

Denis.

DuneBoy
12-06-2013, 12:34 AM
It will be when time permits. It's number 3 on my list of tasks.

When it is ready, I'll post in here allowing the Closed Beta 3rd party devs early access to the posting/editing system.

dpont
12-06-2013, 12:38 AM
It will be when time permits. It's number 3 on my list of tasks.

When it is ready, I'll post in here allowing the Closed Beta 3rd party devs early access to the posting/editing system.

Don't understand what you are saying exactly,
but thanks for fast reply.

Denis.

robertoortiz
12-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Just a heads up, the LightWave plugin database is now live:

Matt you are a live saver. We are going to be using this at a work A LOT.
EDIT: I am blown away I did not notice this before.
I have not had time to read the whole thread, but may I suggest

Add a "3rd party Plug In" tab into Lightwave (In both Modeller and Layout) and allow people to search for 3rd party plug in solutions within the program.

imshadi
12-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I think it is vital for the Lightwave community that the plugins section be payed some attention. It used to be with lwplugindb that we could post reviews, notify of new plugins, etc. But now it's just been too long without any new plugins added or listed. Extremely important and excellent plugins like those by 3DPowers have been out for more than a year but are stilll not mentioned and this really must be damaging the developing community. Take a look at this: http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/12/3rd-powers-ships-five-new-lightwave-modelling-plugins/

Please Newtek don't lose sight of what's important because of those things that are just urgent.

DuneBoy
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I think it is vital for the Lightwave community that the plugins section be payed some attention.

I agree.

It used to be with lwplugindb that we could post reviews, notify of new plugins, etc.

It also used to be my sole job, filling the free time of unemployment. It's now one of my many tasks.

Extremely important and excellent plugins like those by 3DPowers have been out for more than a year but are stilll not mentioned...

They are now. (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/author/3rd-powers/) :)

If there are other missing plugins, please email the plugins' details to [email protected]

I can address bite-size requests a lot quicker than, 'add everything on the internet.'

meatycheesyboy
12-11-2014, 12:02 PM
I agree.

It also used to be my sole job, filling the free time of unemployment. It's now one of my many tasks.

They are now. (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/author/3rd-powers/) :)

If there are other missing plugins, please email the plugins' details to [email protected]

I can address bite-size requests a lot quicker than, 'add everything on the internet.'

Thanks DuneBoy. Where is the appropriate place to ask if the plugin list can be made filterable? Obviously this is a job for the web devs but for example, making them filtered to only see commercial plugins or modeler only or free layout plugins, etc.?

DuneBoy
12-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks DuneBoy. Where is the appropriate place to ask if the plugin list can be made filterable? Obviously this is a job for the web devs but for example, making them filtered to only see commercial plugins or modeler only or free layout plugins, etc.?

Currently the list can be filtered by Author:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/author/

Or by Tags:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/tag/

There are tags for Commercial and Modeler and so on. When viewing a plugin of the type you'd like to see more of, the tags at the bottom of the entry can be clicked to view the list of other plugins with that tag. Multiple tags can be used at once, the URL parser can handle that (just + them together), for example (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/tag/Open%20Source+mdd/).

There's also the search field on the right hand-side of the pages for doing textual searches, the text of a tag IS included in that search.

the web devs

That would be me. :)

prometheus
12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
finally they have updated with 3rd powers toolset, I recall looking for it from time to time, and it is a little hard to google search it, if you donīt know exactly his name etc...now it is in the place it should have been ...several months ago, better late than never.

maybe the Lightwave UI interface should be up there too with recent improvements, and octane and the rest of the stuff that the crazy juangon is cooking up for lightwave extending and bridging to other renderers.

I think someone..maybe me should mail 3rd powers though, since I think he should link the "videos" showcasing directly on that store page ..which the plugin database links too, if you go to that page, you will loose interest if you
donīt know there is videos of it, it is hidden in the top 3dpowers logo, or you need to know that it is the main page you have to enter to find out more about it.

prometheus
12-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I think it is vital for the Lightwave community that the plugins section be payed some attention. It used to be with lwplugindb that we could post reviews, notify of new plugins, etc. But now it's just been too long without any new plugins added or listed. Extremely important and excellent plugins like those by 3DPowers have been out for more than a year but are stilll not mentioned and this really must be damaging the developing community. Take a look at this: http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/12/3rd-powers-ships-five-new-lightwave-modelling-plugins/

Please Newtek don't lose sight of what's important because of those things that are just urgent.

how come you mentioned it today, and those plugins from 3d powers showed up in the database this very day, I have been screaming about that since the plugins were available, a year ago I think, Is costa rica closer to texas than stockholm?..must be it and that is why they heard you clearly:) or I may simply need to scream louder.

Michael

DuneBoy
12-11-2014, 01:34 PM
or I may simply need to scream louder

Not louder, just in the right place. :) Emails sent to [email protected] become support system issues that can be assigned to me.

I do ask that each email be distinctly about one plugin or one author's plugins. An email with a huge list of plugins and no details about them doesn't help as much.

Ernest
12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
But also, yes, Costa Rica is about 4 hours from Dallas, according to the AA website. Stockholm is about 9, via London.

imshadi
12-12-2014, 12:23 AM
All I can say is LOL. I'm sure there is a real reason that doesn't have to do with me being from the land of sloths!

imshadi
12-12-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm impressed at the speed of the response. Thanks a lot. However I think I am not the only one out there willing to give back a little and post commentary and review plugins. Besides we the users usually face those weird circumstances that qualify us to explain what an Euler Filter is good for (for example). In the meantime I hope by addressing you / [email protected] we can get to make this information known to as many as possible. Thanks again!

jburford
12-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Looking Good! A nice addition and time saver having this in one place.

Cheers

stiff paper
12-12-2014, 02:37 AM
An email with a huge list of plugins and no details about them doesn't help as much.
Isn't it possible to have a link on the site that says something along the lines of:
Want to add a plugin to the database? Click here.
...that then points to a page that has instructions for sending an email to the correct address, along with a list of "please include this information" items, such as:

Name of plugin:
Plugin website URL:
Function of plugin:

...and any of the other fields that used to be on the old lwplugindb submission form that you think would be necessary?

The old lwplugindb was "better" in the sense that plugins could be added by "volunteer" members of the LW community, and so any idiot (i.e. me) could add... well, a lot (no, really, a lot) of new entries when Flay went down, for instance. Having said that, I don't know if keeping up and filtering all that was a painful amount of work for you, so, yeah, I could be wrong. (If it was a lot of painful work... umm... sorry about that...)

erikals
12-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Want to add a plugin to the database? Click here.

Name of plugin:
Plugin website URL:
Function of plugin:
it'd be nice http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

prometheus
12-12-2014, 07:11 AM
But also, yes, Costa Rica is about 4 hours from Dallas, according to the AA website. Stockholm is about 9, via London.

I think Iīll do a wormhole and bend the space a little, I just need to find enough energi and then scream in the right frequence and the space will bend and sound will enter through it, and It will be faster even though stockholm is further away.
:D :D

another idea...perhaps a "notify me checkbox" so when a new plugin is added or updated in the database, we could get an email if we choose to check that, I think that would require matching it to our account perhaps..just as we get notifications when someone replies on the forums, and I donīt think we have to worry about overloaded mailboxes from plugin updates, with regards to how often that page has been updated.
Getting that to work, and everyone who is creating plugins will get attention quite fast, and also help the community faster with such news and resources more immediatly available, and for those
doing commercial plugins, it may boost their sales with faster notifications this way.

Michael

jeric_synergy
12-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Isn't it possible ...?
That's gotta be rhetorical.

Of course it's possible, but do they have the will to do it?

DuneBoy
12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
but do they have the will to do it?

Can't talk, busy working (on a submission form). :D

lardbros
12-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I was going to say... I do think they have the will to do it! Just that the LW3D Group programmer/dudes/genius people have to do LightWave magic, as well as all the website stuff too!
I'm sure they simply don't find the time.

jeric_synergy
12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
I was going to say... I do think they have the will to do it! Just that the LW3D Group programmer/dudes/genius people have to do LightWave magic, as well as all the website stuff too!
I'm sure they simply don't find the time.
You know it is possible to hire people to do that stuff, right? I bet Online_Render could use a job.

DuneBoy
12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
If we could keep this thread on-topic, that would be great.

An update on the plugin submission form. The initial version went into testing late Friday. And it should be able to go public this coming week.

jeric_synergy
12-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Good news.

It'd be nice to add evaluations and caveats to existing plugin entries, or links to translations, or whatever fellow animators might find useful.

OnlineRender
12-15-2014, 01:36 AM
If we could keep this thread on-topic, that would be great.

An update on the plugin submission form. The initial version went into testing late Friday. And it should be able to go public this coming week.

awesome Ken , if possible can you see about generating a RSS feed so I can pull the data

kopperdrake
12-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Just wanted to say a belated thanks for the plugin pages. I was directed there by a google search - I didn't know it existed before today, or it hadn't registered. Found a plugin I could use, installed it and it did the very thing I asked of it (renamed 47 veeeeeeeery long layers imported from CAD data), which I couldn't do manually as LW kept crashing that way. And I passed the link on to another company we work with who also use LightWave, and now they know about it. Brilliant little touches like this all add to the positive user experience. Nice one :D

jeric_synergy
12-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Good news.
It'd be nice to add evaluations and caveats to existing plugin entries, or links to translations, or whatever fellow animators might find useful.
BTW, I ask because IMO that was one of the very nicest features of the FLAY.COM plugin listings, that people could point out good/bad points in a plugin.

DuneBoy
12-18-2014, 06:41 PM
An update! The plugin submission form (and more) is now live. It requires that you be logged in (if you don't see the buttons when viewing the plugin list, be sure you're logged in).

Just like the Gallery, new submissions are vetted and must be approved before being published. But you'll see ALL of your submissions in the "My Plugins" list regardless of status.

The "My Plugins" button takes you to a list of the entries which you've posted. Much effort was made during the transition from LWPluginDB to LightWave3D to maintain that "ownership" but in many cases it wasn't possible.

Any plugin author that would like their plugin entries assigned to their own account, so that they can make edits, can simply contact [email protected] with the request.

ernpchan
12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Awesome! Thanks Ken.

prometheus
12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Great, things getting better.
Thanks for the work on it.

lardbros
12-19-2014, 01:00 AM
Cool stuff! Thanks for this Ken! :)

jeric_synergy
12-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Very good! GREAT to see progress on the "interacting with customers" and "using the LW hivemind" front. :thumbsup:

DuneBoy
12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Very good! GREAT to see progress on the "interacting with customers" and "using the LW hivemind" front. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, let me ask this. Which method is preferred (and why) as a rating system? A scaled measurement (like 1-5 stars), or a simple Up Vote/Down Vote system.

spherical
12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I'd say scaled. Black/white, with no shades in between, can give an incorrect impression.

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Speaking of which, let me ask this. Which method is preferred (and why) as a rating system? A scaled measurement (like 1-5 stars), or a simple Up Vote/Down Vote system.

If the plan is to add a rating system, allowing people to post feedback would help too.

DuneBoy
12-19-2014, 09:45 PM
If the plan is to add a rating system, allowing people to post feedback would help too.

A return of the comment system would be nice (useable code partially exists from LWPluginDB), but one of the downsides is the man-power needed to moderate the comments. That's why I thought getting the rating system in-place first might be better since it would, by design, not allow spamming or really need managing.

But I'll give it some more thought.

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah, don't need another platform for trolls.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2014, 12:25 AM
I'd say scaled. Black/white, with no shades in between, can give an incorrect impression.
I agree: especially if (moderated) comments are allowed to clarify the issues: for instance, a downvote may just be that the plugin is slow, but if it's the only one that does that function, well....

EDIT: I see the troll/jerkwad issue has been raised, which is why I included "moderated". My suggestion, since I value the comments quite a bit, is to allow scale votes ('stars') to register immediately, while comments go into moderation until such time as whoever is tasked with that job gets around to it. IOW, low priority.

So, we'd see the rating, and the fact that there are comments, but the comments would be cleared in their own sweet time, if ever.

ALSO, comments should NOT be anonymous: screw those people who need anonymity beyond what the website allows. Then we can take even non-trollish comments with whatever amount of 'grains of salt' we deem appropriate. EG, if RH says something, I'll probably believe it-- other posters, not so much.

spherical
12-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Well, there are also "trollish" star ratings. Some people delight in trashing whatever they can; even if they have zero knowledge of what it is that they are throwing under the bus. Seems to me that if a value is to be placed, and a troll comment is identified, their rating should be null and void. Of course, this isn't exactly a ... how should I put it ... life or death scenario, so snarky anomalies can be suffered, I suppose.

ncr100
12-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Re: Comments

Have a link to the plugin section (if none exists create a new one) on the forum, instead. Discussion, search, moderation - it's available here.

prometheus
12-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Have a link to the plugin section (if none exists create a new one) on the forum, instead. Discussion, search, moderation - it's available here.

+1

and there are ways to improve these forums, by removing some threads that is rarely posted in and forum sections that are so outdated, instead ..creating new ones like

Assets-presets
Assets-content
Assets-plugins
Assets-textures

maybe?
talkshow feels completly unnecessary, who are posting there and for what?
membership zone? why..all workshops should be moved to lightwave community or simply rename it, workshop with subfolders like nodes, bullet,genoma etc.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2014, 11:34 AM

That is a BRILLIANT idea! Leveraging existing assets!!! Very nice! *

re: Prometheus: yes, the forums need a bit of a tidy-up. Vintage and DEAD sticky threads should be sorted and expunged (really, just made UNsticky so they'll flow down the stack.). Needed forums should be added-- no modeling forum???? WTH?

Seriously, a half-hour of work would make a world of difference.

* plugin moderator workflow:
EVERY plugin added gets a new starter thread HERE on the forum, using the name of the plugin as the thread title.
A link to the forum thread is added to the plugin description.
TAGS are added (their disuse is one reason SEARCH is problematic here), starting with "PLUGIN, PLUGIN ASSET PAGE,..." +others as make sense.
A link is included back to the plugin asset page, making communication bi-directional.