PDA

View Full Version : Creating cells?

lightmax7
07-19-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm trying to make a simulation of a section of an arm. I have most of the internals, like veins, venules and capillaries. but I want to fill up the extra space with cells that will be separate enough to go in and around my other items without going through them. Then I want them to shift and squash to be packed in there and stay as a solid. Maybe this could be ascript that you could define the shape of the cells based on your input.

I want this because I will be creating sort of a game simulation of this and the user will be able to navigate in and around the features of the arm and be able to be like a submersible. The cells will be seen but transparent and moving around the bubble that the viewer will be in.

Any Ideas?

nickdigital
07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Do you have a sketch of what you want?

If you need a wall of cells you could build one, clone it via a grid array and then use the magnet tool to deform them a little so it'll look more organic. If you need them to flow through a vein you could do a particle simulation with the animation path wind control and then Fxlinker a cell to a particle. You could also make a cell with hypervoxels.

lightmax7
07-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, the cells that I'm thinking about are fibroblast cells. These make the connective tissue of the whole body, there are many types, but mainly they are cells that have strands of collagen the connect to each other. Now I know that seeing the strands connected to all the other cells would be difficult to show within lightwave. It's fun recreating the human body. LoL. Very organic. ;)

Take a look at this link: http://fibroblast.org/

So if I had something that looked like an hexagonal shape, in 3D, that is transparent enough to see the nucleus in each one with maybe some fibers jutting out like bunches of frayed ropes that disappear behind the other cells so you cant see that that they aren't all connected.

That might work.

What to you think now?

Nice Reel by the way!

nickdigital
07-20-2013, 08:26 PM
You could use the bridge tool to make the strand connections. Offhand I can't think of an automatic way to automate this. You could make a cluster of connected cells, clone that group and connect them to your original group. Keep repeating that and you should be able to make a giant group pretty quickly.

Thanks!

mummyman
07-22-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to make a simulation of a section of an arm. I have most of the internals, like veins, venules and capillaries. but I want to fill up the extra space with cells that will be separate enough to go in and around my other items without going through them. Then I want them to shift and squash to be packed in there and stay as a solid. Maybe this could be ascript that you could define the shape of the cells based on your input.

I want this because I will be creating sort of a game simulation of this and the user will be able to navigate in and around the features of the arm and be able to be like a submersible. The cells will be seen but transparent and moving around the bubble that the viewer will be in.

Any Ideas?

Make a few different types and instance! Or place them all by hand. If you need to mesh them, then, yes... bridge them in modeler, but then you're confined to one giant model

lightmax7
07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks nickdigital and mummyman, those are good ideas, I think I will try the instancing and see what I get. It seems to me that lightwave could really improve it's market share and credibility by creating more tools that cater to the medical simulation world. They have some good organic tools that I believe they could build on and develop a line of scripts and tools for this.

Thanks for your help!

nickdigital
07-22-2013, 11:56 AM
If you have suggestions you should submit them as Feature Requests.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?73226-Bug-Report-and-Feature-Request-System-Instructions

lightmax7
07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
mummyman, excellent work on the xvivo site. I have been looking at that site for many months and marveling at the wonders created there.

Awesome detail!

mummyman
07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
mummyman, excellent work on the xvivo site. I have been looking at that site for many months and marveling at the wonders created there.

Awesome detail!

Thank you!!!!!