PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 Unknown Scene File Format on .lws file?

keyran
07-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Hey guys! This is my first post here, partly because I had no idea where else to ask for help about this. :)
(I think this is in the right spot, but if its not please go ahead and move it!)

So to make a long story short, I was working on an animation for fun last night. I saved the scene, no problems or errors at all while saving.

Later that night, I still have the file open because I'm adding more to it, and my computer just freezes on me for no reason at all.

When I finally restart my computer, I try to reopen the file in Layout and it tells me "Unknown Scene File Format" even though I'm trying to open a .LWS file. I loaded all the objects separately in Modeller and then on their own in Layout, and neither had any problems with the models. I had a scene that wasn't animated that I had saved before, and it loaded fine too.

My question then is, what happened to my file? Is it totally ruined or is there some way I can get Lightwave to recognize it again and open it up?

nickdigital
07-19-2013, 11:57 PM
It sounds like your file got corrupted. If you were using the Hub you might be able to find an autosaved version. You could also try posting the lws file here. It's possible to open the file in a text editor, but you have to be familiar with the file structure to know how to fix it.

The other issue would be what caused your computer to freeze. Did Layout crash or did your computer crash on its own?

keyran
07-22-2013, 02:28 PM
It sounds like your file got corrupted. If you were using the Hub you might be able to find an autosaved version. You could also try posting the lws file here. It's possible to open the file in a text editor, but you have to be familiar with the file structure to know how to fix it.

The other issue would be what caused your computer to freeze. Did Layout crash or did your computer crash on its own?

Thanks for the reply!

It was just the computer freezing on its own. How do I find an autosaved version with the Hub?

Also I just attached the lws file to this post. I did a little browsing and saw stuff about people opening files up with text editors but since I know nothing about that I'm too afraid i'll make it worse.

Areyos Alektor
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
"o" for "Preferences / General", at the bottom you have "Auto Save Objects" and "Auto Save Scene" and you choose the time you want instead of "Never".