PDA

View Full Version : Best HDRI Skies?

Nicolas Jordan
07-18-2013, 06:59 PM
I've been looking at the different HDRI sky libraries out there for arch-viz work and trying to figure out which ones have decent quality and the best bang for the buck. So far it appears that Dosch Skies V2 has the best price for quantity ratio but I'm not sure what the quality is like compared to others out there. Has anyone else here purchased and used Dosch HDRI Skies V2?

I have looked at some others out there as well like Viz-People and Hyperfocal Design but they seem much more pricey for less variety and quantity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Topster-71
07-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Try www.cgskies.com loads of choice.

You can purchase on a individual basis, so pick & mix the ones that work best for your current project. Size of images are 12,000 x 6000 pixels. There is a preview option to view the dynamic range, plus the option to download load a tiny HDRI preview file of each sky to try before you buy... Cost varies but the average is 25 Euros each.

I have found the site very useful and every possible sky available, too many options if you ask me.

These are the panoramic Skies that were on CGTextures by Marcel Vijfwinkel, but now have their own website.

Enjoy

djwaterman
07-19-2013, 02:05 AM
I agree with cgskies. You can even download usable lower res versions of the skies you want to purchase to see how they work in your scene before you buy them.

oxleyd
07-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Maxwell has a set of free HDRIs that include some nice skies. http://resources.maxwellrender.com/news_scripts.php?t=4 As it says on the website, "You can download materials without registering, but if you are not a registered member you cannot rate or upload materials." (I think this applies to HDRIs too).

Nicolas Jordan
07-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I visited CGskies but I didn't realize they had good samples to try out the maps before purchasing. Even though these cost more per HDRI you at least get a good idea of how it will look in the project before committing.

ActionBob
07-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Here is a suggestion... The reason I bought (although it didn't have it at the time, but does now - albeit a little steep for new buyer) Terragen was to have control over what kind of skies I could render. Terragen 3 now has a spherical camera and would make for an excellent way to make your OWN custom and beautiful HDRI skies...

Just another option.. If you only need a couple of skies, then buying them or finding free HDRI images is definitely more cost effective. However, if you want to make a library of custom, photo-real skies of pretty much ANY resolution (low res for lighting and hi-rez for back drops) then I think something like Terragen might be useful to you.

Check out their site if you haven't already....

http://www.planetside.co.uk/

-Adrian