PDA

View Full Version : Bleh! I just upgraded a week ago to 11.5, is it really going to be on sale next week?

Rilokin
07-18-2013, 04:17 AM
I know they haven't announced what the sale is, but what else could it be? I would have waited if I had known it was going to be on sale. :bangwall:

Qexit
07-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Newtek always have some kind of sale on during Siggraph. It's pretty much a given. The email I got yesterday states they 'will be offering show specials to both show attendees and online customers via the Lightwave 3D store. So everyone has the chance to save'. If I had been looking to buy an upgrade this month, I would have waited until Siggraph in the expectation that I would save money.

As for the Big News they have to share at the event, I can think of a few options:

1. Lightwave 12.0 (most likely just not sure if it will be a preview or an actual release)
2. They've bought some other useful product/company
3. They've been bought out by/merged with some other company ala Foundry/luxology not so long ago

All will be revealed in a few days time. I can't say I will be waiting with baited breath but I am interested to hear what they have to say :D

Meshbuilder
07-18-2013, 06:13 AM
I think you should lower your expectations.
11.6 with some new small features (free update).
But if we are lucky they may suprise us with a preview of 12, with a release the end of this year.

sukardi
07-18-2013, 06:35 AM
LW12 with unified workflow!
Yeah, I suppose we all can dream...

Triodin
07-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Kinect!

kopperdrake
07-18-2013, 08:18 AM
I know they haven't announced what the sale is, but what else could it be? I would have waited if I had known it was going to be on sale. :bangwall:

I'm not sure about NewTek, but most companies will allow very recent purchasers to the new version for free, to save upset such as yours. Don't fret until you know the facts :)

alexs3d
07-18-2013, 08:19 AM
hmmm...maybe alembic support and importance sampling... :) -> http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-state-of-rendering-part-2/#lightwave

blueshift
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I "am" waiting with baited breath. Did anyone notice at the bottom of the NewTek email about Siggraph they mentioned they would be giving away several Kinects for Windows? I have no inside info but I can't believe that it is just coincidental. I purchased a Kinect for Windows back in April and was going to purchase Iclone 5 as the MoCap software to drive it but then I saw the Demo of MoCap in LightWave that Rob Powers and Lino Grandi did and decided to wait for it to be implemented into LW. Again I could be wrong but my Kinect is just sitting here on the shelf waiting and hoping . MoCap is a Huge timesaver for an individual trying to be a one man band.

Marcia
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
But if we are lucky they may suprise us with a preview of 12, with a release the end of this year.

The end of this year = mid-Q1 2014. ;)

Qexit
07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I "am" waiting with baited breath. Did anyone notice at the bottom of the NewTek email about Siggraph they mentioned they would be giving away several Kinects for Windows? I have no inside info but I can't believe that it is just coincidental. Good spot. I had read it myself but didn't think to put two and two together which I blame on the suprisingly hot weather we are having here in the UK :D

MAUROCOR
07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I "am" waiting with baited breath. Did anyone notice at the bottom of the NewTek email about Siggraph they mentioned they would be giving away several Kinects for Windows? I have no inside info but I can't believe that it is just coincidental. I purchased a Kinect for Windows back in April and was going to purchase Iclone 5 as the MoCap software to drive it but then I saw the Demo of MoCap in LightWave that Rob Powers and Lino Grandi did and decided to wait for it to be implemented into LW. Again I could be wrong but my Kinect is just sitting here on the shelf waiting and hoping . MoCap is a Huge timesaver for an individual trying to be a one man band.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/04/lightwave-3d-and-kinect-presentation-from-nab-2013/

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/nab-2013-wrap-up-new-mocap-technology-and-mograph-features-highlighted/

tyrot
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I hope

1- it is a DUAL KINECT solution .
2- It does work with motion mixer
3- OR it does have it's own GenomaMotionMixer!

Otherwise we will wave hands with it! And trust me i have enough Kinect solutions to wave hands!

dwburman
07-18-2013, 04:16 PM
The LWG is on 11.6 internally, at least :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=501153683288545&set=a.370788189658429.81643.100001817522014