PDA

View Full Version : Mounting the XD855 Control Surface

digiview
07-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Hello all I seeking ideas on the best way to mount the XD855 Control Surface to my mobile production desk which is carried in our trailer to avoid movement during transport. We currently carry it in own flight box and I am now looking at installing it permanently to the desk. Unfortunately the control surface has no mounting hardware to allow it to be bolted down, it would be nice if it had rack ears or screw holes for mounting it.

Many thanks
Lance

PIZAZZ
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
We have simply cut a hole in the counter/desktop so that the CS sits down in it. You will need to notch out a space for the USB to have clearance. Then use some 3M double sided tape to give the CS a little extra hold in place. Use Industrial Velcro for a less permanent solution either in the desk or directly on top.

kltv
07-17-2013, 06:09 PM
We've got some industrial velcro on the bottom of ours as well. It doesn't move at all.

Kris

digiview
07-17-2013, 09:30 PM
The problem I have with Velcro is the glue base melts away, we live in a very hot climate during summer the inside of the trailer can be as high as 50C. We do not operate or work in the trailer it's just for transport only to and from gigs.
Just found a possible solution, I have some large hard disk drives that are due to be destroyed and I have removed the magnets. These suckers are really powerful and with the CS case and our table top all made from steel it looks like it will work. I am not sure if the magnetic field will interfere with anything.
The other option is to get picture large frame type corners made that can be anchor the desk to hold down the CS.

PIZAZZ
07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I can tell you that we use the Industrial Velcro all the time and we never run into that. I can't imagine you are getting any hotter than we are in Texas my friend. Our production trailer definitely gets hot during the summers here. I haven't measured the temp inside but let's just say the A/Cs have their work cut out for them.

I personally would stay away from using magnets as a solution. I stray away from using magnets anywhere around electronics in this day and age. Put a USB or hard drive too close and it is gone.

Good idea on the picture frame corners. Velcro should do you nicely though. cheap and clean. Put enough on the bottom of the CS and the table and I bet you pull the table top off before the velcro gives out.

digiview
07-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Ok the penny has just dropped your talking of some industrial grade velcro must be different to what I get from the local hardware store because the glue base on that product will dissolve with heat and make a real mess. I will have to make some enquires for industrial grade velcro I am not familiar with this product. I think your right about the magnets not a good idea.
Thanks for pointing the way Jef.

PIZAZZ
07-17-2013, 10:50 PM
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5751/Velcro-Hook-and-Loop-Tape/2-x-15-Velcro-Industrial-Strips-Black?pricode=WU351&gadtype=pla&id=34610388802&gclid=CIHdwsqRuLgCFYo7Ogod8ggAbw&gclsrc=aw.ds

We use this by the truckloads all the time. Great stuff

Here is the other stuff we use on occasion from 3M

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Profile-Reclosable-Fastener-10-Foot/dp/B0006HVM72/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

oh and of course:

digiview
07-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks Jef just ordered from Amazon.