PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer Item Channels Mass Edit?

sukardi
07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Just hoping somebody can help me with this.

Is there any way, plugin or whatever that can mass select and modify the motion mixer item channels. This is driving me crazy having to go into edit actor map and switching the channels on and off one by one.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Roye
07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
I haven't found a way to do it in Motion Mixer. No documentation or video content that I've read/watched through has ever covered it... if someone has info on this I'd love to hear it.

However, I can direct you to my Map Motion (http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/map-motion2/)/HMOT Saver (http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/hmot-saver/) tutorial (video below, links go to plugin download). These plugins have tools to edit desired channels en-masse using Motion Mixer's HMOT file format. You will still have to save out per-character HMOTs in order to utilize saved motions with motion mixer, but it's better than nothing. If all you are doing is saving/loading animations, then just ditch motion mixer and use these plugins instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7pyLdSIp4Y

sukardi
07-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks Chazriker,

I have seen your video and it was really helpful. I am just hoping that someone knows a way to work directly on motion mixer.

It is really a shame. Simple things like this could really help motion mixer become a truly useful tool. There is always motion builder of course but nowadays I am trying to limit the number of softwares I use. 3D and VFX softwares are becoming really complex and I am not looking forward to managing 5 or 6 different upgrades in a year.

Dodgy
07-16-2013, 01:03 AM
There is a tool which will turn off all channels except rotation for bones, but this only works under 32bit as far as I'm aware. Not sure I can post it here though, even though it's kind of defunct.

sukardi
07-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi Mike,

I got your renaming plugin. Very, very useful. Thanks a lot.

Ryan Roye
07-16-2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks Chazriker,It is really a shame. Simple things like this could really help motion mixer become a truly useful tool.

No argument there. I'm not sure how high on the priority scale animation systems are to the development team, but if they were ever to re-visit Motion Mixer (or if easier, replace it entirely) the following would need to be changed:

-Multi-channel management tools. Dstorm's plugins are a great example of how it could work quite intuitively.
-Adding an Actor should by default add all of the bones/items in the rig. A manual-add option should be available, but in nearly all cases one wants all items to be in the mix. This would save the user about 6-15 clicks.
-Bulk actions in general. They are ironically non-existent for a tool meant to be used with libraries of animations. In particular, loading more than 1 motion at a time would sure have been handy.
-It appears impossible to actually use .map files as the only opportunity you get to save or load them comes with a dialogue where no editing can be done, rendering it useless.

I feel if the above were fixed, Motion Mixer would be a more production-worthy tool. It can still be handy in specific situations, but it's really is a tool that should be usable for many more things animation-related.

Dodgy
07-16-2013, 04:57 AM
Actually you'd really not want all the bones in the rig. I tend to only have certain controllers in the actor, otherwise it becomes unwieldy. It would certainly be useful if you could select multiple items and toggle channels off all at once. Clicking all those tick boxes is a chore.