PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Backgrounds

JimPaez
07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Hello i was wondering if there is a way to work with multiple backgrounds in layout, nodes or plugins and control their properties like radiosity visibility or reflections.

Thank you...

Sensei
07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
By background you mean what you set in Effects > Backdrop > Add Environment,
or background image controlled by Effects > Compositing.. ?

In either case, you can create f.e. 1 km radius sphere, with scene in center of it.
Or flat plane behind scene.

Ryan Roye
07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Hello i was wondering if there is a way to work with multiple backgrounds in layout, nodes or plugins and control their properties like radiosity visibility or reflections.

Thank you...

I think more context is needed to really give a clear answer. Is this for something animated? Are you thinking of backgrounds as taking a render and setting it as a 2-dimentional backdrop? Do you need your 2d background plates to cycle over time?

My first instinct is to say that compositing is the answer to your question... which is optimal to do with 3rd party plugins (DPkit for example), or usage of an external application like Blender (it does compositing quite well).

JimPaez
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Thank you for your answers guys, i'm looking for new techniques to work with the backgrounds, it would be nice if the environment plugins can be multiple tags to control them like in modo.

SteveH
07-15-2013, 04:49 PM
I've never tried this mind you so I'm not positive it will work ...but you could name your background images as a sequence - like background_01, background_02 etc - and the background plate would probably change at each frame.

nickdigital
07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Yeah that would work, it'd be the same as using an image sequence as video footage.

Another option would be to map the different bg images to geometry and have the various objects in the scene. It's a handy way to keep a background image in the scene without applying it in the compositing tab.

JimPaez
07-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Thank you for your answers and contributions, its a clever way to work a Little bit tedious but is practical

Silkrooster
07-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Another option create a sphere and apply a UV map to it. Create a pano on all your images. Now you can just rotate the sphere to show each image. It may not be elegant, but it is another option.