07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
watch 'n learn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShjKRkV3sc

GoatDude
07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Wow

shadowshifter
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
I love watching people that know what they're doing.

H_Molla
07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Amazing Work...

djwaterman
07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't know, it still looked stiff and fake to me, although I never saw the final TVC in which it might be further refined.

OnlineRender
07-14-2013, 11:42 PM
its a bit ironic he promotes drinking .... as for the CG in some parts it looks stunning but there is a few give aways especially when they throw the focus "which they seem to do a lot " other than that its simply beautiful...

congrats to THE MILL

http://www.themill.com/work/johnnie-walker-change-the-game-(bruce-lee).aspx

tyrot
07-15-2013, 02:45 AM
i think it is a bit creepy.

gordonrobb
07-15-2013, 03:29 AM
Some of it is truly amazing. Some of it is in that creepy zone (can't remember what they're calling it). However, in the first link, they call it "the first fully CG walking, talking, human". Aside from whether it's the first or not, it seems all they were doing was replacing thehead/face of an existing actor. Hasn't that been done before. Isn't that what they did (better) in the likes of Benjamin Button? Not taking away from the achievement, but a bit of an over bold statement :)

Thomas Leitner
07-15-2013, 03:58 AM
And it is like always: the 3d artists did only their job. If they had not done it another would have done it.

Seriously: Itīs disrespectful towards Bruce Lee. Itīs just cannibalizing him and no one cares. Letīs make money!
And itīs not perfect.

ciao
Thomas
p.s.: Iīm not a Bruce Lee fan and I never was.

erikals
07-15-2013, 03:59 AM
bit uncanny... :]

nothing spectacular, but partly cool nonetheless... :o

50one
07-15-2013, 04:12 AM
bit uncanny... :]

nothing spectacular, but partly cool nonetheless... :o

Agree, to me it's funny to call this first CG human...this is just head replacement? No idea how long this technique is, but I suppose the the forst siccesfull attempt to use this technique was in in XXX with Vin diesel.

Waves of light
07-15-2013, 04:19 AM
I thought it was excellent, and very well executed. Yes, there are bits we'll all pick up on, but hats off to the CG guys as that looked like some really hard work e.g. 250 expressions and expressions in between those expressions. Also thought the lighting was very well done.

tyrot
07-15-2013, 04:48 AM
guys... come on it is really creepy ...

erikals
07-15-2013, 04:52 AM
nah...

Thomas Leitner
07-15-2013, 05:27 AM
...Yes, there are bits we'll all pick up on, but hats off to the CG guys as that looked like some really hard work e.g. 250 expressions and expressions in between those expressions....

250 expressions for less than 70 seconds, thatīs 3,5 expression per second, cool.
Thatīs more than Bruce Lee acted as he still was alive. ;)

guys... come on it is really creepy ...

Yeeeees!

ciao
Thomas

DogBoy
07-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I find it creepy and a little sick. It sure looks like head replacement, and not very believable at that.
What is wierd to me is that the modeling is excellent, but somewhere between there and the final image something went very wrong.

50one
07-15-2013, 07:08 AM
My favourite head -replacement character is Brad Pitt from "curious case of Benjamin Button", for me it's absolutely amazing.

I think the problem lies in fact that they used blendshapes, instead of marker capturing system, that's why the animation is not that great, for any believable results you still need marker capturing, see the video on digital domain website.

VonBon
07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
it looks weird, probly is the face mocap.

kfinla
07-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Interesting, but yes very shot by shot. Some look great, some look very cg.

glebe digital
07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
I doubt Bruce would be very impressed.....similar attitude to the following I would imagine.

DogBoy
07-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I think the problem lies in fact that they used blendshapes, instead of marker capturing system, that's why the animation is not that great, for any believable results you still need marker capturing, see the video on digital domain website.

Though i agree with you somewhat (though they did use marker capture), the reason they give for the blendshapes is they wanted to get Bruces' lip shapes correct. The problem is that the performance just doesn't "sit". Looking at DDs humans reel, you can see they also can't get it right on Tron Legacy. Everything is near perfect, but end result is lifeless. Benjamin Button is pretty close on some shots (I suspect David Fincher may have pushed them further to get it right), but even then there are some duff shots (and that is in the highlight reel).

The biggest issue (for me) is that DD had Brad Pitt to work with, so they could age him up, but it was still Pitt driving the action. The Mill on the other hand had a completely different actor, who talks differently, so they tinkered to try and make it look more "Bruce", which broke the naturalism. Frankly it was a waste of effort, as most people don't study Bruce Lees mouth shapes, so wouldn't notice ;)

I doubt Bruce would be very impressed.....similar attitude to the following I would imagine.

That is priceless.

JoePoe
07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
While an impressive piece of work, still firmly in THE UNCANNY VALLEY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley).....
(maybe starting to crawl up the far side, but not quite there....yet).

Davewriter
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
In other places (non 3d worlders) there was a huge negitive take on the use of the likeness and an uproar over his shilling for a product that he would never use. Myself it was at the creepy end of the pool... just didn't look "right". But it does seem as if it had gone through all of the proper licensing - which basicily takes it through three seperate companies that the family had set up.

My wife is Chinese. I asked her if anyone was angry or complaining about this back home. Other than her saying she thought it was a kool ad - there hasn't been anything in TV or papers about it. Just another day.

Snosrap
07-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Looked weird to me.

bazsa73
07-17-2013, 12:28 AM
strange

Dodgy
07-17-2013, 01:34 AM
I'm not overly impressed. There have been better, more realistic animations done, and I think he wouldn't have approved. Maybe if it was a fitness ad or self defence, but not alcohol.

AbstractTech3D
07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
this is cool!

- - - Updated - - -

this is cool!

gjjackson
07-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Bruce Lee was a health and fitness fanatic so I doubt if he'd approve. He would exercise even when relaxing. This would also go against his philosophical ideas.