PDA

View Full Version : Proving to YouTube that you the right to use Lightwave to produce commercial content?

mwilcko
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Recently received an email from YouTube requesting proof that I have the commercial rights to use all the visuals in my videos. I explained that I created all the visuals, but that apparently isn't good enough. Their response seems to reference proving that am licensed to produce commercial content with software (Lightwave). How can I prove this? I can't seem to find anything online that specifically states that Lightwave can be used for commercial purposes. Can I somehow pull up a screen in Layout that shows my name as a licensed user? Tried Help/About but nothing there.

cresshead
07-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I had that with one of my videos..i just commented that i'm licensed to use the commercial software i purchased to create content.
It's clear now.

so might take a while for that.

Dexter2999
07-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Send them a screen shot of your downloads page? Demonstrating that you own the software (blur out dongle ID and part/all of activation code).

nickdigital
07-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Is this YouTube inquiry because they want to monetize the clip?

saranine
07-12-2013, 10:48 PM
That's an interesting issue. I don't think that youtube has any right to be involved in this issue. It's NOT a copyright issue. Because it's not about the content of your video. It's about what you used to make it. Piracy is wrong. But youtube has no right to enforce legal software.

That is weird. In my opinion youtube / Google are way out of line here, even if someone were using pirated software.

cresshead
07-13-2013, 05:33 AM
That's an interesting issue. I don't think that youtube has any right to be involved in this issue. It's NOT a copyright issue. Because it's not about the content of your video. It's about what you used to make it. Piracy is wrong. But youtube has no right to enforce legal software.

That is weird. In my opinion youtube / Google are way out of line here, even if someone were using pirated software.

their service is free to use, they make the rules, they are their own business not a charity or a govt funded thing for the general pubic...if you really don't like how they do business use someone else like vimeo.

cresshead
07-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Send them a screen shot of your downloads page? Demonstrating that you own the software (blur out dongle ID and part/all of activation code).

that's usually the case.

prometheus
07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
change to vimeo..
I think I have seen to much changes in youtube of my disliking, apart from conversions of videos being poor compared to vimeo.
I have my suspects that too much adds and difficulties like you describe might towering towards less people using youtube, just a feeling I have, could be completly wrong though.

dwburman
07-14-2013, 12:51 PM
The reasons I use youtube over vimeo mostly are the ability to monetize the videos, it's free, it seems to be more active/have more viewers, and there is no waiting or caps on how much I can upload like there are with Vimeo's free service.

In reality, having the videos monetized doesn't really bring in much money for me at the moment. I think having the videos up helps with my sales at Liberty3D, but I could probably have that same effect with videos on vimeo. Vimeo has the awesome feature of being able to replace a video file while keeping the same URL which is great if you need to make a correction or change after posting something. The annoying limitations go away if you pay for the service which isn't a huge amount per year and I think there are some special discounts to 3rd party products available to subscribers.

Those are my pros and cons in my thought process right now. :)

I got hit with one of those prove you own it things on YouTube this week too. If you look at their terms or "what can I post" page they do have a section on tutorials saying that you need to be licensed to use the software commercially or don't show the ui very much.

bobakabob
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
How ironic if not downright weird your original Lightwave work is called into question when copyright is flouted on that video site on a daily basis. There are entire Hollywood, British and World Cinema movies uploaded there.

Move to Vimeo. Their niche is all about creativity and original work. There's also a vibrant community and very much a Beevis and Butthead free zone.

prometheus
07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
The reasons I use youtube over vimeo mostly are the ability to monetize the videos, it's free, it seems to be more active/have more viewers, and there is no waiting or caps on how much I can upload like there are with Vimeo's free service.

In reality, having the videos monetized doesn't really bring in much money for me at the moment. I think having the videos up helps with my sales at Liberty3D, but I could probably have that same effect with videos on vimeo. Vimeo has the awesome feature of being able to replace a video file while keeping the same URL which is great if you need to make a correction or change after posting something. The annoying limitations go away if you pay for the service which isn't a huge amount per year and I think there are some special discounts to 3rd party products available to subscribers.

Those are my pros and cons in my thought process right now. :)

I got hit with one of those prove you own it things on YouTube this week too. If you look at their terms or "what can I post" page they do have a section on tutorials saying that you need to be licensed to use the software commercially or don't show the ui very much.

you might be right about your videos at youtube helps attracting people to liberty3d for the sales.
not directly towards you, but I think liberty videos needs to showcase a chapter or so from every video sales they have, that if any will probably help sale better than anything, so I believe it would be a good thing if they showcase that nextto their sales at liberty3d and perhaps in conjunction with the same intro´s at youtube And vimeo.

I have never bought in to any video from liberty3d, making a good showcase on how end results of projects will look like would gain my interest.
But that has been the problem with almost every video Ivé seen displayed(anyware), just a few images, and you can´t tell how the final results of the project will look like .
So my advice would be to showcase
1. end result of a project..
2. a small part of the chapter or an overview of the different sections without going in to the deeper details.

As I said..I do not like the way youtube has turned out with everyone putting ads on their videos to gain some income from that, of course that depends on what is showcased within the free video, if someone does a good free tutorial
..then it might be justified, but so many things are not enjoyable or isn´t giving you as viewer any form of help or satisfaction from the video..so I am split about that.
Then the search results has gone haywire and do not display back proper search results, and the general UI in your account I do not like,the quality conversion isn´t good either.
Now youtube is were the masses are unfortunatly.

Otherwise, when I get to that stage when I need putting up a lot of videos I might really invest in a payed service from vimeo actually, that said ..it most likely serve companies better to be on youtube overall ..and having their channel like lightwave3d.

Michael

Cryonic
07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
How ironic if not downright weird your original Lightwave work is called into question when copyright is flouted on that video site on a daily basis. There are entire Hollywood, British and World Cinema movies uploaded there.

Move to Vimeo. Their niche is all about creativity and original work. There's also a vibrant community and very much a Beevis and Butthead free zone.

And youtube has addressed those issues by allowing copyright holders to provide samples that get loaded into a signature database. From that database they identify possible infringements and then based on the copyright holder's desire, either block or redirect monetization to the copyright holder. That way users can do things like upload wedding videos with music playing and not have the video or audio blocked.

mwilcko
07-27-2013, 07:52 AM
I did end up making it through this process. Here is what you need to do:

1) State that your created all visuals and are the copyright holder. If accurate, also state the video does not contain clip art, screen captures, etc..

2) Point to this FAQ that states Lightwave may be used to create commercial content. Special thanks to Newtek customer support for getting this up for me so fast! https://www.lightwave3d.com/support/faq/registration/?t=7;i=24;

3) Include a screenshot of your Account Details page. Call out these sections to them:
Account Details - (your name)
Registered Products: Lightwave 3D V11.5
Purchase Date and Register Date

Hope this makes the process go smoother for others. -Matt

DonJMyers
07-27-2013, 11:12 AM
It disgusts me that youtube is hassling you to the nth degree over copyright issues yet they allow every Hollywood film I've ever worked on to be upload there no problem. Want to hear the beatles for free? Everything they ever did? It's there no problem.

The Director's Guild is hurting for money because they aren't getting residuals. Why? Because everything is on youtube for free posted by pirates.

Google, firstly, don't be evil.

But they have no problem hassling you endlessly for creating original, even computer animated, content.

shrox
07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
I like vimeo because you can replace a video. That way people can just see your latest version of something without your having to post multiple links on a WIP.

bazsa73
07-27-2013, 01:39 PM
In the communist régime during the cold war it was the state who asked these questions, now when ubermegamulti corporate entities
have grown beyond their limits are doing the same. Interesting analogues these are, yess hmmm.

dwburman
07-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this, mwilcko.

LW_Will
07-27-2013, 11:14 PM
sorry

probiner
07-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Since I'm not getting money from them I would just tell them to get lost and make noise about like you're doing. I still have the videos I uploaded, or I can download the mp4 from youtube and easily change them to somewhere else. They have no right to police what you have in your possession or not, only police the content of the videos.
To me the states are a travesty since they're sold like they protect the population from oligarchs, but instead they create and catter them, all of course, with the authority of a nation's state and not of a private company, so you can't object much or have a day in court to solve it out. To me the most fundamental and maybe only role for the state is Justice. Without it, doesn't matter if you're progressive or conservative, authoritarian or libertarian, it will always be a playground for evil. More than Health, more than Education; Justice...

Cheers

shrox
07-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Since I'm not getting money from them I would just tell them to get lost and make noise about like you're doing. I still have the videos I uploaded, or I can download the mp4 from youtube and easily change them to somewhere else. They have no right to police what you have in your possession or not, only police the content of the videos.
To me the states are a travesty since they're sold like they protect the population from oligarchs, but instead they create and catter them, all of course, with the authority of a nation's state and not of a private company, so you can't object much or have a day in court to solve it out. To me the most fundamental and maybe only role for the state is Justice. Without it, doesn't matter if you're progressive or conservative, authoritarian or libertarian, it will always be a playground for evil. More than Health, more than Education; Justice...

Cheers

Correct.

dwburman
07-28-2013, 04:19 PM
In my case I am making money off of (many) of the videos I post, and many of my videos show the application UI. Granted, the money I'm making now is a tiny amount. I really should try making info/entertainment for an audience that's bigger than LightWave users. :) If I didn't monetize the videos then I don't think I would've gotten contacted to show I own the software license. With some commercial music, there is a system in place for paying the copyright owners... that is ads will get put on your videos as well as links to where you can buy the music from. You cannot, however, monetize those videos so the ad revenue comes to you.

There's no doubt that piracy is rampant on YouTube, but they are trying to do something about it although they don't seem to be very effective. I've seen people going so far as to put several minutes of black before the copyrighted material or putting the copyrighted material as an insert in another picture in order to beat YouTube's automated copyrighted material detection. I would've flagged those videos for copyright infringement, but it looks like YT only wants the copyright owners themselves to flag videos.