PDA

View Full Version : Need some help to find out if LW will work for me.....

NoseGoblin
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi all,

I currently use Rhino 3.0, but I'm having some problems with their software... there is a bug that creates bad objects when meshed from a polysurface..

I am now looking for other software that could be used for my application.

What I need is a modeler that can create models with NURBS and then be meshed, or create models with a simple mesh, converted to NURBS and then meshed again with a VERY fine mesh .0002 pole height/max distance to edge and export as a .STL

Will LW work for this?

Thanks for your input!!!!

Mark-

WizCraker
11-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Lightwave does not have NURBS.

gjjackson
11-11-2003, 07:38 PM
You could get the Discover Edition and try it out. LW doesn't have Nurbs but you can get much the same with LW's Subpatch models and freezing. This creates a nice mesh.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/misc/LWDE.zip

NoseGoblin
11-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, strictly speaking it does not have to be a NURBS modeler.. I just find it easier to work in NURBS..

The end result I am after would be a high-density polymesh; I could even export it to Rhino to create the .STL file.

Rhino is a horrid modeler for organic shapes and with it's current bug it's useless for creating meshes for .STL files... but with a mesh created in another software and simply converted to an STL in Rhino I think it should work fine?

I have heard of some people freezing the mesh and importing to Z-brush and deviding/smoothing the mesh and then exporting to Rhino... but thats a bit of work and a lot of possible problems