PDA

View Full Version : tools disappear - keep having to reinstall, help?

Reis
07-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi guys,
It only happens every now and again, but sometimes lightwave's interface doesn't show certain tools.
For example the most recent reason I've had to reinstall was because the Layout >I/O >Export menu didn't have any buttons in and was completely empty so I couldn't export FBX files.

A previous reason was under my selection menu in Modeler, I wasn't able to "Select Points". If there is a reason behind this or it's a common issue how can I work around this?

Thanks in advance,
Reis.

MarcusM
07-11-2013, 03:30 AM
Hi guys,
It only happens every now and again, but sometimes lightwave's interface doesn't show certain tools.
For example the most recent reason I've had to reinstall was because the Layout >I/O >Export menu didn't have any buttons in and was completely empty so I couldn't export FBX files.

A previous reason was under my selection menu in Modeler, I wasn't able to "Select Points". If there is a reason behind this or it's a common issue how can I work around this?

Thanks in advance,
Reis.

First time i see that strange ;] For sure you have set up F10 -> Default preset?

JonW
07-11-2013, 05:53 AM
You may need to reinstall the config files.

most likely in C\Documents and settings\"user"\.NewTek\Lightwave\11.5.1

LWEXT11-64.CFG
LWM11-64.CGF
LW11-64.CFG
etc.

Once you have LW working you can copy these files & keep them in a spare folder. Also point another Shortcut to that folder so you can launch from another set of config files. The config files can even be on another computer.

and/or

You can also copy the whole LW folder to have a second/third/fourth or however many copies of LW you want! LW is very daunting but it is very flexible. If you are rendering frames & you find WTM says that your CPU is averaging 85% usage. You just launch LW a second time, a second, third etc.... instance of LW will launch. Easy!

So now you load another copy of your scene in the second instance of LW. Render all the even frames on the first & all the odd frames on the second. So now your CPU will in general run at 100% usage! If you have days of rendering this can save many hours by having a second copy of LW rendering.

I alway keep a whole spare LW folder ready to go so if things bugger up & I'm in a rush I can start another copy of LW, easy!

It does take time to get your head around LW (years!) but you will get there!

Have a look in the manual "Lightwave 10-Surface and Rendering.pdf" Page 327 Organising Configuration Files. The sooner you get your head around this and Screamernet, the better. It is daunting but well worth understanding what is going on.

Reis
07-12-2013, 08:29 AM
thanks for that guys appreicate it!
I have took a screenshot of what happens, happened to me like 3 times, I shall copy the config files, thanks for that tip!

And I like the rendering idea too, I just do visualisation renders for the time being but good to know!