PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade to a faster PC. Does anyone know where the best deal is?

jesblood
07-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey all,

I desperately need to purchase a new computer for faster rendering and VPR. My budget is $1,000. Does anyone know where I should go to get a good deal? And if so what I need to make it a computer that has the most power possible for the price?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan Roye
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
The first question:

Can you build the computer from components? If yes, you can save yourself several hundred dollars by not purchasing from resellers. If you can find a direct-seller locally, you can also save on shipping and eliminate any hazards associated with DOA components.

After answering that, then it'll be easier to determine what you can get for what price.

Waves of light
07-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Building a PC from components can be a cheaper option (if you know what you're doing) but if not there are lots of 'we'll build a PC to you Spec' sites that can come in a little cheaper (because they buy the parts at trade and in bulk). $1000 is about £680, so you're not going to get a top end i7 rig for that price, but then again, I know that PC components seem to be a little cheaper over in the States.

Your main two 'wants' seem to be VPR speed and rendering. If that is in native Lightwave (so no external render e.g. Octane) then the more RAM the better. Also, remember that Lightwave's VPR uses CPU and not GPU. So the better your processor(s) the quicker your live renders.

If you're able to build for the future (as in, you may create additional revenue later on) then buy a motherboard that will allow you to upgrade components, like your RAM, from 16GB to say 32GB.

Also, it is rumoured that PC prices are going to fall soon, as the rise in tablet purchases as driven down PC sales. So there maybe some bargains from main PC builders like HP, Dell to watch out for.

jesblood
07-11-2013, 12:49 PM
The first question:

Can you build the computer from components? If yes, you can save yourself several hundred dollars by not purchasing from resellers. If you can find a direct-seller locally, you can also save on shipping and eliminate any hazards associated with DOA components.

After answering that, then it'll be easier to determine what you can get for what price.

Oh I'm definitely not a build it myself type. Maybe you could tell me the most important items I need to try and acquire through a 'we'll build a PC to you Spec' site, as another suggested. From there I'll see what I can obtain.

Thanks for the help. Been so busy and haven't upgraded in a while I'm a little behind on the times when it comes to the latest and greatest hardware out there for what we do. I just don't want to screw myself. My budget is limited as it is right now.

Again thanks for the help guys. Totally appreciate this.

nickdigital
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
It's pretty easy to build your own computer. The main parts are motherboard, RAM, hard drive and graphics card. From there it's like putting a puzzle together, albeit a delicate expensive one.

jesblood
07-11-2013, 01:36 PM
It's pretty easy to build your own computer. The main parts are motherboard, RAM, hard drive and graphics card. From there it's like putting a puzzle together, albeit a delicate expensive one.

Ok. Well what hardware do you think I should look into ordering?

(By the way, just saw your 2010 demo. Wow! Great stuff! Very humbled.)

pinkmouse
07-12-2013, 02:50 AM
If you can reuse your existing case, psu and drives for now, you only really need to look at RAM, MB and CPU. With Ivy Bridge being replaced by Haswell ATM, and clearance sales on, you should be able to pick up an i7 3770, miniATX MB and 16Gig of Ram for your budget. Haswell really isn't that much of a performance boost, Intel seem to have concentrated more on power efficiency this time around.

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Now see,that is what's bugging me over in the UK, the Ivy Bridge CPUs haven't come down in price yet... on some sites they are only 5-10 pounds less than the new Haswells.

pinkmouse
07-12-2013, 04:02 AM
I know, I'm in the UK as well, but the OP isn't. Still very happy with my i7 3770 Hackintosh though! :)

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 04:12 AM
I know, I'm in the UK as well, but the OP isn't. Still very happy with my i7 3770 Hackintosh though! :)

Nice. I'm keeping an eye on PC Desktop prices too, as I need a new rig. But I've seen some go down the i7 route and others get dual Zeon boards, allowing more threads (better for rendering) and up to 64GB of RAM... so we'll wait and see if the prices drop. But if Jesblood can grab a top end i7 rig for $1000, then that just shows the cost difference between here and the States.

jesblood
07-12-2013, 08:56 AM
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Do these specs work well for LW? I did a little research based on some of the things you guys mentioned I should look for. Could you all please look over this list and chime in with your opinions? Thanks.

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
First thing I noticed is your CPU is LGA 1155 so I don't think that will work with your stated 2011 motherboard.

secondly, I haven't personally, but I know a few people who have had nothing but trouble with Radeon cards.

Ricky.

jesblood
07-12-2013, 09:12 AM
What Video Card and Motherboard would you recommend?

(Please understand I'm totally ignorant of this stuff. Desperately trying to catch up and understand)

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
I have gone with Asus for my past 2 PC desktop builds... and when my brother asked me to spec up a laptop for him, he ended up going down the Asus route too. They are very stable and have good overclocking capabilities (but you don't need to know about that right now). This one (I found on a UK site) would work well with your stated CPU, and it's got good reviews: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

As for video cards, I must admit I'm not qualified to say. We'd all like to fork out money on a Titan, but we have a budget to stick too. So, if it were me, I would be looking at the high end Nvidia GTX 600 range, but I don't know what your Radeon cost. This looks good for the money, http://www.ebuyer.com/455280-asus-gtx660-ti-2gb-gddr5-6008mhz-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-gtx660-ti-dc2o-2gd5

Like I say, just my opinion and as there are so many opinions, I am sure someone more qualified will come along and offer theirs.

If you want to check this thread out, it shows people's render times for a benchmark marble scene. It has a link to an xls file that ranks their render times against system spec... maybe of help:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133251-11-5-s-BenchmarkMarbles-lws-share-your-machine-s-render-time-here

Hope it helps.

jesblood
07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I have gone with Asus for my past 2 PC desktop builds... and when my brother asked me to spec up a laptop for him, he ended up going down the Asus route too. They are very stable and have good overclocking capabilities (but you don't need to know about that right now). This one (I found on a UK site) would work well with your stated CPU, and it's got good reviews: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

Hey on that 'Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard' can you get 16 gb of ddr3-1600 Memory on that card? And could you please post an informational link to this particular Motherboard. I tried going to places like NewEgg.com and couldn't find it. I apologize if this is becoming an inconvenience but I really appreciate the help. I really feel like I've almost got a solid plan here thanks especially to you and the others who have helped.

Thanks.

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Sorry Jesblood - I was in the middle of something and thought that had posted as a link... here's a link to the UK ebuyer site I use, you may be able to make comparisons from it: http://www.ebuyer.com/363229-asus-p8z77-v-pro-z77-socket-1155-8-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-p8z77-v-pro - it will take 32GB, DDR3 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory.

Keep the questions coming mate.

jesblood
07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Sorry Jesblood - I was in the middle of something and thought that had posted as a link... here's a link to the UK ebuyer site I use, you may be able to make comparisons from it: http://www.ebuyer.com/363229-asus-p8z77-v-pro-z77-socket-1155-8-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-p8z77-v-pro - it will take 32GB, DDR3 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory.

Keep the questions coming mate.

Thank you so very much bro. Hey real quick question. Can Lightwave 10.1 or 10.5 run on Win8. Reason I ask is I haven't upgraded to 11 yet. Not sure when I'll be able to so for the meantime I'm stuck with the former. Do you know?

Thanks

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Thank you so very much bro. Hey real quick question. Can Lightwave 10.1 or 10.5 run on Win8. Reason I ask is I haven't upgraded to 11 yet. Not sure when I'll be able to so for the meantime I'm stuck with the former. Do you know?

Thanks

Yes it can. There is a thread on here somewhere which talks about Win7 v Win8... but as far as I know, LW11 (and 11.5) runs fine on Windows 8. I won't be for the time being, as my current PC is setup as I want and running Win7 without any issues (touch wood:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131402-LightWave-on-Windows-8

EDIT: Sorry, you mentioned LW 10.1 and Win 8... I can't see why it wouldn't but you may be better off asking elsewhere.

Ricky.

jasonwestmas
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Just an opinion. I've had too many problems with my built machines, it's not worth the frustration unless you really enjoy tinkering. I rather just create stuff using the computer.

I like these computers for highrez content creation and games stuff, extremely stable.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/WhyVM.php

If you do decide to build, make sure the mother board is top notch, that has been the most horrible part of the process is finding a solid mother board with good drivers. In the past anyway. Getting the right memory timing can be annoying too so double check everything before you buy it of course. Everything else is much easier to find ime.

Megalodon2.0
07-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I had MANY problems building systems with two CPU's, but only one or two problems problems with single CPU systems - out of probably more than five dozen builds.

Aside from that, I also agree that Asus products are VERY reliable. Never had any problems with their motherboards or graphics cards.

If your motherboard supports it, I would sooner go with two 8gb RAM sticks than four 4gb ones - better for upgrading.

hazmat777
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I have had ZERO problems with their config. Plus great response when I had questions before purchase. Give 'em a look.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

LW_Will
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM
to recommend a video card, nVidia. I have a good, but cheapest card you can get (a 660 GTX). You can get any of the honking big cards like a Titan for $1k down to the 660 around $200. The 760 should be out in a couple of weeks at, I estimate, a $230 price.

I've had problems with the Asus boards... one seems to be failing at my right even as I type, damn. ;-(

The Gigabyte series of boards seem more robust than the Asus. I've had three Asus boards, two have died in a most horrific manner.

At Fry's here in CA, they let you pick the components and there is an assemble fee... I think it is $100 they build the computer for you.

Just a thought.

jesblood
07-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey all,

Thanks so much for all the very helpful advice you have given. It is truly safer to be in the presence of many councilors. That being said, I've found a great deal locally with a Lenovo machine. i7 4th generation 4770 with 12gb of DDR3 1600 RAM and a Nvidia GTX 650 video card. Nicely fits my budget and certainly hurls me way forward tech wise from where I currently am. Still looking at other options for the moment but this deal looks to be the best so far with the least amount of hassle.

Again thanks for all your help in leading me the right direction.

digitaldoc
07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Best of luck with your new machine.

When I have looked before there have been some really impressive specs on the Lenovo machines for a great price. I believe Walmart was even selling them.

If you saved enough, maybe you'll be able to get that LW 11 (or 12? have to wait til Siggraph) upgrade!

The only downside was that the power supply seemed to be a bit weak (280 watt). Not sure what your system has.

This looks like your specs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8176880&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=COLypd_jrLgCFUxo7Aod9y4ASg

Waves of light
07-13-2013, 09:28 AM
What price is that desktop coming in at?

JonW
07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
If you can stretch to a small SSD its well worth it.

pinkmouse
07-13-2013, 10:32 AM
If you can stretch to a small SSD its well worth it.

Indeed.

In fact, I'd drop that graphics card altogether, as it's performance isn't likely to be much of an improvement on the on-chip graphics for LW. Spend the money on more RAM or an SSD, then upgrade to something decent later if you need GPU power for any 3rd party plugins.

jesblood
07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
What price is that desktop coming in at?

Its coming in at $979.99. And yes that link posted by digitaldoc is the very same one. Its a tad bit cheaper through the Tiger Site but I can go and immediately pic this system up today. To me the extra $30 is worth it to have it now.

@JonW: I'd love to have an SSD but its just outside my budget. I've got real tight funding for my project. If I buy this setup its light years ahead of what I have now. Unless you know of a setup that comes with an SSD that doesnt exceed maybe $1,100.00. I really cant afford to stretch further.

If anyone has any leads, believe me, I'm all ears.

glebe digital
07-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I've just seen new 8-core Amd Bulldozer rigs starting from £256 on Ebay.......That's one cheap oven to cook pixels in.

tburbage
07-13-2013, 12:16 PM
What Video Card and Motherboard would you recommend?

(Please understand I'm totally ignorant of this stuff. Desperately trying to catch up and understand)

I've been building my own for the last 3-4 iterations, though I don't think I've ever gotten it done for less than $1,500 excluding monitor. The target was what I would describe as a no-compromises high-end consumer machine with up-to-date tech to use for CG, programming, gaming etc. etc., but what would be considered modest by workstation standards (single CPU socket, fairly high end GeForce card but not Quadro).

Although it is true you can assemble a machine from components for significantly less than a comparable pre-built one, it does take some knowledge and a fair amount of research to purchase the right parts and then go through the assembly and configuration process. Just worth mentioning. In my experience, it isn't painless...

One way to get your head around all of this which I use is to go to a custom builder site, check out the base systems, and start diddling the customizations to see how specific upgrades affect the bottom line. For example this is a builder I came up with by Google'ing (not making a personal recommendation specifically):

http://www.magicmicro.com/

If you decided to go that route and can find a builder close to you, I think that would be be better because if you have problems you would have physical access to the folks to get them to make it right.

As the others have stated, you should set a minimum spec of maybe 8GB RAM, and a Core i5 Quad Core. More is better in both cases. It just gets down to budget.

Waves of light
07-13-2013, 01:06 PM
You should be able to get a 120G SSD added to your $979 rig for less than $1100.. from what I hear, the boot speeds and program launch speeds are a lot quicker. You can always stick in an old 500GB or 1-2TB standard disk for other stuff.

Waves of light
07-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok, using the link tburbage gave, I was able to get the following (see the PDF) for $1127.00 - I can't believe what you guys can get for your money over in the States.

digitaldoc
07-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Jesblood,

Looks like a great system and the 12 gig RAM is a definite bonus over 8 GB.

I definitely WOULD NOT recommend to opt for no video card and yours will have 2 GB video RAM which is a bonus.

The Lenovos are medium sized boxes and really don't have a lot of room for expansion.

The SSD would only make LW boot up faster and 120 GB fills up fast even if you try to keep Windows from adding to it.

Looks like a very good deal for you!

You can get 2-3 and 4tb external hard drives for storage pretty cheap these days in the $100-120 range, and you will have USB 3 capability.

jesblood
07-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I've just seen new 8-core Amd Bulldozer rigs starting from £256 on Ebay.......That's one cheap oven to cook pixels in.

Could you post a link to what you saw? Thanks.

pinkmouse
07-13-2013, 03:01 PM
...I definitely WOULD NOT recommend to opt for no video card and yours will have 2 GB video RAM which is a bonus...

But why? Stock Lightwave has absolutely no use for a GPU, no matter how much RAM it has. It's all CPU based. I'm currently playing with a scene that has 1.5 million polys and is nearly 200Mb in size, and the HD4000 graphics handle it perfectly.

Now I admit, I'm currently looking at GTX760's, but that's only because Turbulence FD and Octane look so very tempting.

digitaldoc
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe if LW was your ONLY program, but chances are a compositing or photoshop type application may be useful now or in the future.

pinkmouse
07-13-2013, 03:15 PM
AE and Photoshop are both eminently usable with HD4000, though I admit AE could do better with a GPU. But you certainly don't need one if you're not in a heavy production pipeline, (and if you were, you'd be looking to spend a lot more than $1000 on your workstation)

glebe digital
07-13-2013, 04:09 PM
@jesblood

here you go......cheap as chips!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Desktops-AllinOnes-/171957/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amd+eight+core

jesblood
07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Ok, using the link tburbage gave, I was able to get the following (see the PDF) for $1127.00 - I can't believe what you guys can get for your money over in the States.

Here tell me what you think. I reworked it a little:

Price: $1107.00

CURRENT CONFIGURATION
PARTS : CPU : Intel i5/i7 Haswell CPUs - Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz (3.9GHz turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core 8000K
PARTS : Cooling Fans : Intel i5 / i7 CPU Fans - Intel Socket 1150/1155 CPU fan
PARTS : Motherboards : Intel i5/i7 Haswell Motherboards - ASUS B85M-G, Onboard Video, HD Audio, GB LAN, USB3.0, HDMI & DVI
PARTS : Memory : DDR3 Dual Channel memory - 16GB (2x8GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
PARTS : Video & TV Cards : PCI-Express Video cards - GeForce GTX 650 1GB PCI EXpress 16X Dual head, HDMI
PARTS : Video & TV Cards : TV Tuner & Capture cards - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Hard Drives - 120.0 GB SSD OCZ AGILITY-3 Solid State Drive, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, 525MBs
PARTS : Cooling Fans : Hard Drive Fans - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Hard Drives - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Cooling Fans : Hard Drive Fans - 2nd Hard drive Fan NONE SELECTED
PARTS : CD/DVD/R/RW Drives : DVD Recorders - LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
PARTS : CD/DVD/R/RW Drives : DVD Recorders - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Media Card Readers - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Sound Cards - Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
PARTS : Modems - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Networking : Network Cards - Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
PARTS : Controller Cards - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Cases / Power Supplies : Cases - PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
PARTS : Cooling Fans : Case Fans - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Cooling Fans : Power Supply - Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready
PARTS : Keyboards - Black Windows Keyboard, 104 key
PARTS : Mice - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Speakers - NONE SELECTED
SOFTWARE : Operating Systems - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD w/SP1
SOFTWARE : Office Software - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Monitors - NONE SELECTED
PARTS : Assembly and Test - Standard assembly and test 3-5 business days

digitaldoc
07-13-2013, 05:23 PM
It looks good except I'm not sure a 120 GB SSD is your best choice for a single hard drive system. On my 980x (6 core, 12 thread, 16 Gb memory, dual Dual ATI Radeon 5850 graphic cards) I had a primary 80 GB SSD which filled up very quickly despite having all my programs except Windows 7 Pro 64 on the secondary 2 tb hard drive and trying to keep everything besides the OS off the SSD. I have replaced it with a 500GB SSD which works great.

My secondary system has 2 2tb hard drives and the older i7-2600 quad chip, 16 gb memory and GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card which is older but similar to the Lenovo and works great.

Your Lenovo system specs were pretty good, a little less memory at 12 gig, but 2 gb of video ram and a bit cheaper.

If I'm not mistaken, the SSD would only speed up your system boot and the actual loading of Lightwave by a few seconds and not actually affect its performance.
You would definitely need another internal or external hard drive.

Will be interested to hear what the others say and what your final decision is.

jesblood
07-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your input Doc. I think I'm going with the Lenovo after all. It seems every time I look into these online order business on BBB they turn out to be disastrous customer service types.

digitaldoc
07-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Are they offering any kind of warranty where you will be buying it?

In all my years of buying computers, since the early mid-80's I have only had one failure where I needed service. It happened after one month with a Dell and they replaced it quickly, almost all of my old systems are still running with one relative or another.

jesblood
07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Im sure they do at the store. Id be suprised if they dont

BokadCastle
07-13-2013, 07:55 PM
I just bought this...hasn't been delivered yet.

Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked Quad Core @ 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) CPU - Intel Z87 Chipset - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory - 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card in SLI mode - 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive

It was a 24hr take it or leave it special - (2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770) - I took it.

2200 AUD.

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-ab49733-mwave_intel_sli_i7_2013_system_inteli716gb2tb2xgtx 770windows7

JonW
07-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Indeed.

In fact, I'd drop that graphics card altogether, as it's performance isn't likely to be much of an improvement on the on-chip graphics for LW. Spend the money on more RAM or an SSD, then upgrade to something decent later if you need GPU power for any 3rd party plugins.

Agree with this. Upgrade the graphics card later.

I am still running a GTX280 & GTX260 on another box. Anything which comes close to these is more than ok for LW (unless you are doing GPU rendering, but then you can't afford $1k for a GC!). I am actually looking at a new box for myself with 2 x 2687w CPUs. I will stick my old GTX280 it in for my 30" monitor. I am also putting in a 120GB SSD, & will move some of the old Velociraptor HDs over to the new box. If I do this the box as a whole works out at a fairly good frame rate output per whole box dollar.

A bit of scrimping & recycling will save quite a bit of money until one has the cash.

So.....

Buy more CPU than you can afford (within reason!)

Then SSD, a 120 GB is perfectly ok for system drive & running your current LW work from.

Do you actually really absolutely necessarily must have 16GB of ram right now! Get 8 now & put the few dollars towards an SSD.

The other stuff you can add later.

Use an old case.

Use an old CD/DVD (mine are all unplugged but still in the boxes as I don't use them)

jesblood
07-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, this is what I finally decided on buying:

HP - ENVY Phoenix Desktop

CPU: Intel® 4th Generation Core™ i7-4770 3.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 (Expandable to 32GB)

Hard drive: 1TB SATA (7200 rpm)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 2GB GDDR5 (dedicated)

Power Supply: 600W

Price: $1,063.98

I found this to be a better deal than the Lenovo. Plus its power supply is 600 watts as opposed to 280 w. It also came with a one year warranty.

Thank you all for your help. I wouldn't have felt confident about buying anything without everyone's generous advice. Thanks! God bless you guys.

digitaldoc
07-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Sounds like a winner!

Waves of light
07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
if you're happy and it's within budget then it's a winner.

jesblood
07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys

jesblood
07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Just wanted to update you all on the choice we made. The HP is beyond fantastic! It took a scene that rendered out at 50 mins on my old laptop and knocked it out at 30.9 seconds. My jaw hit the floor to say the least. Plus the viewports ran so much smoother and were able to handle way more objects on the screen in any one scene. Oh and the VPR is actually useful and a major time saver now. So thank you all for your extremely helpful suggestions and invaluable information. We would have made many mistakes without you all taking the time to contribute. So from the bottom of everyone's hearts on the team we say thank you.

Be blessed guys

digitaldoc
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Great to hear!

Waves of light
07-31-2013, 04:54 PM
that's one he'll of a drop in render times... money saved already! really glad you're happy.