PDA

View Full Version : A 3D world for a Gen X person

saranine
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
On another thread I read that Lightwave 12 might use in some way a Kinect.

Right. This is where technology leaves me for dead.

To me a computer game is this: get a disk, put it in a PC, install it, run it and play it. That is the only way of computer gaming, for better or worse, that I understand. All of this X Box, Wii, console, dreamcast, playstation, kinect stff is beyond me. I don't know what any of it is. I am not in any clique that does.

So, am I correct in saying that Lightwave 12 plans to use a kinect to put 3D images from a kinect into the Lightwave software?

If I am right then where does this leave me? Will I be left for dead? I won't be getting a Kinect. I don't understand it. Isn't it that box that connects to a TV so that you can dance and your dancing shows up on the TV? Or is that a wii?

I am not trying to be funny. But OK, if you want to get a laugh out of this go ahead...I can see the funny element of it. But I don't get it.

dwburman
07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
3D software is full of stuff most users never touch either because they didn't know it was there, didn't need it or tried it and found it lacking.

The Kinect is a camera/microphone/depth sensor developed for the xbox 360. You don't actually need and xbox to use it if you're connecting it to your computer. It can be used for doing crude 3D scans (see my avatar) and some motion tracking (the dance example you mentioned) which is what Rob and Lino previewed at NAB and what most people here are waiting for. I picked up my pre-owned kinect around thanksgiving time when the game store had a big sale. I think I paid $40 for it.

Unless you're planning on doing a low cost motion-capture project, the addition of a Kinect connection probably won't effect you at all and certainly won't start a revolution that leaves you behind. Besides, I don't understand most of the math or programming and I haven't studied user interface design, but that (usually) doesn't keep me from making cool stuff in LightWave and other apps. Heck, I barely understand the electricity that powers the machines I use. :)

saranine
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
OK. Life isn't so bad. There is hope for me yet :)

Davewriter
07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
There are several "flavors" of this floating around already. The one I've played around with is Jimmy Rig
And not trying to start a big CA / Mocap / which is the best thing here. This is just one I've found to be easy enough for this knuckle head to figure out.
This might give you a bit of an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj37-3wej4o
And, of course the great hope is that LW will really open great possiblities. Especially for those of us (waving my hand here) who are splashing around in the kids end of the pool

Greenlaw
07-12-2013, 03:10 AM
A couple of years ago I used a dual Kinect mocap system to create a short film based on my web comic 'Brudders':

Brudders in 'Happy Box' (2011) (http://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/55185005)

'Happy Box' was completely rendered in LightWave and, incidentally, it was the first fully developed short film animated using a dual Kinect system. That project was basically a warmup exercise for our current production 'Brudders 2'. We recently posted a 1 minute excerpt from this film on our Vimeo channel:

Excerpt from 'Brudders 2' (http://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/68543424)

I'm using a dual Kinect system for this production as well, specifically iPi Mocap System 2.0, which works with two Microsoft Kinects plugged into a PC. Additionally, the system supports the use of multiple PS Move controllers to capture the head and wrist motions or attached props via bluetooth, so no gaming console is needed. This system can also work with six PS3 Eye cameras and Kinect alternatives like the new Carmine sensor. As I write this, the devs are preparing to release an update that can capture two performers simultaneously.

Granted, we are using a Kinect-based system that works outside of the LightWave environment but imagine what it would be like to be able to do this directly inside of LightWave. That idea has many users here very excited about this upcoming feature.

Of course, just because Kinect capture will soon be available in LightWave, doesn't mean you have to use it. So, no, you should not feel that this feature is going to leave you "for dead." LightWave will still be capable of traditional keyframe animation which will never go out of style.

Kinect input is just an alternative to keyframe animation--IMO, it's really more like a form of puppetry and it has a unique look of it's own.

G.

dwburman
07-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Nah, what's going to get us is the increasing need for higher levels of detail (I'm hearing more and more about 4k) making it more and more difficult for one person to finish a job on his or her own. Maybe trying to keep up with renderer and shader (and physics simulation, fluid simulation, etc) enhancements will be our doom. Perhaps the stuff going on with GPUs and real time render engines will be too much to relearn. Maybe the fact that the software getting easier to use and legions of new artists are coming onto the scene with no appreciation for how hard 3D work "should" be. Or the fact that these new artists are likely younger and can live on passion and cheap food and don't have to worry about paying the mortgage or keeping the family fed and the spouse happy. Oh, and lets not forget about the growing CG workforce in Asia connected to the rest of the world via the internet.

No, it's not a game peripheral you need to worry about. :)