PDA

View Full Version : Is a degree in maths useful for using Lightwave?

saranine
07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
A long time ago I got a degree in those horrible things ..flux, optimisation, matrix algebra, more flux...:)

Then I didn't do anything with all that maths.

Is it useful for Lightwave or CGI in general? I've said before that it was drilled into my brain that the Z axis is straight up! sO i have to "unlearn" this which believe you me will be very difficult!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Div, grad, curl...it's all coming back to me lol. :)

I liked matrix algebra.

sukardi
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I think you will get much mileage from your maths when using nodes.
Otherwise, it will come in very handy if you want to write a plugin.

For day to day operation, maybe not so much...

akademus
07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
http://rebelhill.net/html/rhn

check this and you\ll se definite conjunction between math and lw!

Dodgy
07-11-2013, 02:38 AM
I find it useful ;) But then I write a few plugins and create shaders with vector maths.

Surrealist.
07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
I would love to have a better background in math. I think it would be extremely helpful. I really look up to people who can program and write plugs. Wish I could but it is unfortunately something I am not very well educated in.

BigHache
07-11-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure any degree is particularly useful for using LightWave or any design program. As has been stated, math is good for writing plug-ins.

JonW
07-11-2013, 07:14 AM
An Hons. in admin. would be better!

Cryonic
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Math is also good when doing the work as it can be good to actually check what the sim is doing. Big problem I have with a lot of animations is the motion doesn't fit the scale of the item in question. The bigger the creature, the slower it moves (more anticipation, longer windup time, etc...), but seems like a lot of animations don't take that into account.