PDA

View Full Version : message to Newtek

rednova
07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Dear Newtek:

Would it be possible the lightwave 12 upgrade work on older OS's ?
If you can do this, I can install lw 12 on my older system ( 1.6 ghz atlhon + 1 gig ram).
I really need to keep my system, as lw 9.6 + sasquatch run superb without any problems.
Also, would it be possible when installing lw 12, that instead of automatically going online
to register...just ask for the serial number and go on my own online to get from newtek
the right code to activate. (my system is not hooked online to protect..I need to use
my laptop to get to newtek to exchange the serial number for the right code).
Thank you !!!

cresshead
07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
dear Rednova, what O/S are you using?

also note that some software companies have almost left me hi n dry as for example 3ds max 2014 is only for window7 and window 8
my computers are on Vista and win xp...i managed to install max 2014 but only after searching for some missing dll's so vista could complete the install.
dropping support for vista64 bit was quite a surprise and Autodesk have also completely dropped 32bit support too.

I do suppose time marches on...and i do really want a new computer but my quadcore still works fine so i have no urgency other than Autodesk dropping support
for visita.

as for lightwave

Windows Operating System
64-bit: Windows Vista or Windows 7 64-bit Edition
32-bit: Windows Vista or Windows 7 Edition

OSX Operating System
Snow LeopardŽ 10.6 or better

raymondtrace
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
This is what virtual machines are for.

We can keep our systems OS up-to-date, while running virtual machines of older systems and software. I'm not surprised to find someone running the original Amiga version of Lightwave on a modern system.

rednova
07-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi:
I am using windows XP
Thank you !!!!

MAUROCOR
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Rednova, what do you know about LW12? Did you hear something that I missed?

raymondtrace
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi:
I am using windows XP
Thank you !!!!

The current version is listed for Vista and above so it is very unlikely that the next version would reach back to XP.
http://www.newtek.com/support/overview/56-support/lightwave-support/273-lightwave-3d-system-requirementslightwave-3d-system-requirements.html

XP is over a decade old. There is absolutely no point in continued support by software developers, especially when newer versions of Windows can run "XP Mode".
http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

Phil
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm hoping they kill 32-bit support in the next release.

Lewis
07-10-2013, 02:23 PM

I hope that too eventually but before doing that modeling needs hell of a update to compensate for 32bit plugins only in many areas where modelign in LW lacks seriousoly without 3rd party plugins.

rednova - dont' worry aobut LW12 and system OS just yet. LW12 is not ready so there is chance you'll upgrade your computer by that time sinc eMicrosoft will end winXP support next year anyway so they are tryign to "force" people to upgrade to newer OS anyway.

rednova
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you for all replies guys !!!
I have good news !!!
By the time lw 12 comes out...I will have the money for both a new pc and original extra lw seat/license.
Money was never an issue, is just that I have small space in my home, and haven't much room for anything.
But if I do a little clearing (get rid of some stuff I like which is taking space)I can surely make extra room
to install a new pc + lightwave 12.
Thank you all !!!!

probiner
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM

You must not model or use the camera matching plugin for layout.

I agree it would be better they would disperse energies on two versions, but I hope whenever they drop 32-bits ppl are not so dependent on Modeler 32 bit gems to get things done right. I don't know if today there is the same 3rd part critical mass to update them to 64bit.

Cheers

Phil
07-12-2013, 07:52 AM

I agree it would be better they would disperse energies on two versions, but I hope whenever they drop 32-bits ppl are not so dependent on Modeler 32 bit gems to get things done right. I don't know if today there is the same 3rd part critical mass to update them to 64bit.

Cheers

If Modeler is the same in LW 12 as it is now, I'll despair. However, there is always the possibility to use older versions of LW - you don't have to chuck them out to run LW12, after all.

Lewis
07-12-2013, 08:01 AM
If Modeler is the same in LW 12 as it is now, I'll despair. However, there is always the possibility to use older versions of LW - you don't have to chuck them out to run LW12, after all.

True but if you purchase LW 11.x now you don't get older versions AFAIK ?

djwaterman
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

What camera matching plugin for Layout?

prometheus
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM

God no...not yet for years to come.

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Can't do that until they sort out the old 'can't load a load up QT file into a 64 bit instance of LW' as QTs are only supported in the 32 bit version of LW.

DogBoy
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Can't do that until they sort out the old 'can't load a load up QT file into a 64 bit instance of LW' as QTs are only supported in the 32 bit version of LW.

Really? If Apple can't be asked to sort this out after all this time, why should LW have to wait? That is amongst the silliest things I've ever heard :D

Waves of light
07-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Really? If Apple can't be asked to sort this out after all this time, why should LW have to wait? That is amongst the silliest things I've ever heard :D

Lol. Yer, you're probably right, it just catches me out from time to time. Can I have my 'Silliest thing ever heard badge' please?

DogBoy
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
:)

DogBoy
07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
It's in the post :D. i'm with Lewis though, 32bit LW should EOL on LW11. The only reason to keep it is for older 3rd party stuff, and as LW gets upgraded more and more of these will break. If we really need to use old plug-ins, maybe we should get used to using them on older versions.

Bottom of the range Laptops come with 4GB of RAM these days. Even iMacs come with at least 8GB these days. Microsoft wants to kill 32bit Windows. As far as the LW3DG are concerned, LW 32bit is another build they have to test, and they could do with not squandering their resources on it.

I think it's time for LW to drop this legacy baggage.

ivanze
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I wonder how After Effects CS6 and some versions before that are 64 bit can import Quicktime files without any problem. It must be an adobe native solution I guess.

probiner
07-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Totally agree with you, I do the same argument when it comes for things to move on. But that would make sense only if they in fact put forward something new. Which many hope so :)

What camera matching plugin for Layout?
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/fis-cmatch/

Cheers

Phil
07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I wonder how After Effects CS6 and some versions before that are 64 bit can import Quicktime files without any problem. It must be an adobe native solution I guess.

Usually, it's an approach build around ffmpeg.

dsol
07-12-2013, 06:48 PM

QT32server is your friend. It's part of the cocoa Apis for QT under 10.6 of OSX and above. QT support for windows unde 64bit is more problematic. But I'm pretty sure Adobe solved it.

dsol
07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you for all replies guys !!!
I have good news !!!
By the time lw 12 comes out...I will have the money for both a new pc and original extra lw seat/license.
Money was never an issue, is just that I have small space in my home, and haven't much room for anything.
But if I do a little clearing (get rid of some stuff I like which is taking space)I can surely make extra room
to install a new pc + lightwave 12.
Thank you all !!!!

If space is an issue, just buy a laptop. Even a scruddy Lenovo would run rings around a 1.6 Athlon. You're using AD2002 technology ;)

DogBoy
07-13-2013, 02:03 AM
QT32server is your friend. It's part of the cocoa Apis for QT under 10.6 of OSX and above. QT support for windows unde 64bit is more problematic. But I'm pretty sure Adobe solved it.

As far as I know, no, Apple didn't fix it on PC. Other software got around it by developing a wrapper. LW3DG could do that, but it would be nicer for Apple to just sort their s**t out.

dsol
07-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Well, this is just part of a bigger problem. Right now, it's a right pain in the *** to port mac apps (written in Obj-C using Cocoa APIs) to windows. If Apple really wanted to disrupt the market (in a good way), they'd make a windows port of the Cocoa environment. They're already done this internally (which is how iTunes and Safari were ported), but by opening it to ALL mac developers, you'd have a much better incentive to develop for Mac using its native APIs. Hell - a much better incentive to develop for Mac full stop!

Cryonic
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
WinXP is EoL from Microsoft. Vista will follow soon. No reason for software to continue being written for a 10+ year old OS that isn't being supported by the manufacturer (and isn't being sold by any system builders). Same thing with OSX. The only difference is that Apple releases new versions faster and kills support for older versions faster.

If you can't afford to get a new system after 10 years, then maybe you should consider other alternatives, like Blender, since the cost of LW (even the upgrade pricing) is more than the cost of a new PC to run it on.