PDA

View Full Version : Question about exporting

justaneditor
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Hello, I am new to video toaster (am a FCP editor), and was wondering if there was a way you could export your edited project to an uncompressed .mov file or any kind of uncompressed file. I like to be able to ouput the rendered file to mini DV tape using firewire.

Thanks.

Jim Capillo
11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
VT[3] can export on any codec you have installed on the machine. Simply select "Render Project" under the "File" dropdown and you'll get the requestor.

Quicktime isn't supported (due to licensing issues, I think), but some have reported renaming the *.mov to *.avi allows the VT to see the file and edit from the timeline. I have not tried it, though.

justaneditor
11-11-2003, 02:38 PM
We have video toaster 3.0 I rendered a project using uncompressed D1 video (.rtv) but windows movie maker or DV App will not accept it, I keep getting an error message. I tried the other codecs, but I keep getting the same error messages. I want to be able to output my rendered file to my DV deck through firewire. Video Toaster's layout is so different than Apple's FCP.

johnq
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi:

The RTV file format is special to the VT, so unless a third party application has an RTV file "converter/plugin" it won't be able to use the RTV file. I am a little confused by your statetd workflow. First, you can render a "Windows avi" file in uncompressed format. From the VT3 Render option, select one of the Windows Media File options that is uncompressed. The first option (i.e., UYVY) is a good first try. This will result in a very large avi file. However, this would be useful if you were going to edit the file some more in another app. However, if you simply want to export the file in DV format to a DV recorder, you could choose to Render the file to a DV type 1 file: This is one of the VT3 CODEC options under the Windows Media Files list. Then you can use DV App or another editing program with DV deck control (I am currently using Premiere Pro) to output a 1394/Firewire stream to your DV deck. Also, many VT users simply record the analog out from the VT as the input to their DV deck. Many users have looked at this and to my memory, no user has reported they can see a difference in quality vs recording the 1394/Firewire data stream.

John