PDA

View Full Version : Please NT, fix OBJ finally - Alternative export to Poser / UVLayout?

madno
07-09-2013, 01:12 AM
There was a thread sometime ago asking about fixing OBJ. Lino Grandy answered something like "should be fixed by now". A few weeks later 11.5.1 came out. Unfortunately still strange behaviour when export to obj and drectly import again. Surface names get changed, shading is not ok any more, sketch color changes to white, parts are gone. Only scaling seems to work now.

Sigh ..., does anybody know an alternative way to export obj or other format to Poser so that I get polygon groups in Poser. Purpose is to set smoothing IDs in Poser without the need to use Posers`s horrible grouping tool for polygon selection.
Other purpose is to export obj to UVLayout and import back into LW.

Does Blender do this better than LW? If yes, what format should I use to exort from LW to Blender?

I heard older LW versions might work, but, frankly speaking, if I need to install two 3D packages for just obj I prefer to invest the time in checking out another package.

THanks.

hrgiger
07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
well i generally just use obj for moving geometry into zbrush or stuff like that so i cant speak on some of those issues but as far as the sketch color goes i dont know if thats an obj issue. lw never seems to be able to save sketch color and even setting my default sketch to my preferred color of black seems to make no difference.

SaleVonGeist
07-10-2013, 05:13 AM
+1

I didn't try LW 11.5.1, but recently I did project where I had to get Houdini groups saved in OBJ to something that I can distinguish/select in modeler. Only way I managed to "properly" import that OBJ's and recognize groups as selection sets was in LW 9.6. :(

Lewis
07-10-2013, 05:15 AM
agreed, LW OBJ exporter needs fixing.

SaleVonGeist
07-10-2013, 05:17 AM
agreed, LW OBJ exporter needs fixing.

Please don't forget importing too! :D

Lewis
07-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Please don't forget importing too! :D

I'm not sure that importer is broken 'coz when i export from DeepExploration or MAX then it looks fine imported in modeler, but when i export form modeler then some data get lost :(

SaleVonGeist
07-10-2013, 05:46 AM
I'm not sure that importer is broken 'coz when i export from DeepExploration or MAX then it looks fine imported in modeler, but when i export form modeler then some data get lost :(

Hey Lewis, that got me interested now. Are you able to make some poly selection sets/groups in MAX/DeepExploration, save as OBJ and import them fine in modeler? Maybe it's some strange combination of options in OBJ import options, but I tried few of them and just couldn't get it to work. Only way I could get it right was going back to LW 9.6.

Lewis
07-10-2013, 05:55 AM
didn't test with selection groups (have no idea how to add them in MAX ;)), but I've been able to import "parts" from Rhino mesh converted through DE and smooth groups from MAX imported fine but after export they got destroyed in OBJ (loaded in MAX or back in LWM) sicne LWM converts smooth groups to somethign understandable to LW only and then OBJ exporter obviously cant' save that back to universally understandable so it gets cleared/destroyed :(.

jwiede
07-11-2013, 12:52 AM
I think the real need here is for the ability to directly designate what LW entities become groups, etc. and vice-versa by preference/default and/or (perhaps pref of "ask") with a dialog at time of import/export. Trying to be "smart" and guessing for the user isn't really working well (for all but basic cases), and frequently introduces round-trip inconsistencies. Allowing the user to specify the translations themselves will solve such issues.

Which reminds me: As a related feature request, LW needs to offer an SDK-level ability for plugins to add prefs UI into the "main" global prefs. Look at how C4D allows plugins to insert prefs into its Preferences editor for an example of what I'm suggesting. Right now, plugins that need prefs/defaults UI typically (have to) provide their own mechanisms for access -- it's led to plugin prefs being scattered throughout the UI, making "state discovery" a messy proposition. Clearly an "ordinal version"-level change, and far from "shiny", but sorely needed, IMO.

Implemented well, it would also give plugin code a much cleaner way of querying "system" prefs settings. The "state discovery" problem is about as messy from an SDK viewpoint as it is from a GUI viewpoint, with "system" pref state scattered across APIs, some settings difficult to query, some nigh-impossible. Centralizing the access from SDK perspective would simplify plugin development, particularly for plugins querying system or each others' pref/default info.

bobakabob
07-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Importing a ZBrush tool converted into an obj into LW results in ZB polygroups being 'deleted' which is rather frustrating if you want to work on specific details. Polygroups should import as parts or surfaces in LW for a seamless workflow. There have been other threads about this. Please fix LW3dg :(

madno
07-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Not only threads, bug reports as well.

madno
07-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Sorry LW3D Group,

most of what I said was wrong.

LW parts -> OBJ -> Poser is working correctly:
The "OBJ Part" checkbox in the preferences got disabled. It was enabled but after restart of LW disabled again. Could be due to write protection in the win user folder. I have not noticed and tried all the time with parts off. With Parts on, it works.

Strange shading after import:
I don't know the details about the OBJ Write Normals setting (normals per vertex per polygon?), but if off, shading is fine after re import of obj. I don't need to disable the maps in each surface by hand because they are not created at all.

Sketch color:
As hrgiger already said, its not related to obj and can anyway be changed in the detail tab.

Only thing left:
When surface smoothing is active, the surface name after obj export / obj import changes to OrigSurfaceName+_Smoothing

I am embarrassed to have posted here and complained instead of first cross checking my settings. Sorry again.
Is there a way to change the thread title to something like "dumb user error" ?

jwiede
07-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Is there a way to change the thread title to something like "dumb user error" ?
No need, as Sale, Lewis, myself, bobakabob, etc. still are encountering problems with OBJ import/export, as cited. Your issue might not be there, but others still are.

bobakabob
07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
No need, as Sale, Lewis, myself, bobakabob, etc. still are encountering problems with OBJ import/export, as cited. Your issue might not be there, but others still are.

True, it doesn't matter whether Parts is checked or not, ZBrush polygroups don't translate into Parts which appear to be erased on import into Lightwave. Editing the surfaces of complex objects can be really problematic as a result.
LW parts import into ZB ok even without checking the preferences box which seems to indicate something is amiss.

digitaldoc
07-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Ditto. Please fix it Newtek.

tburbage
07-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I found that if I had both "OBJ One VMap" and "OBJ Parts" on for export, the individual named Parts are saved as groups (saved in the .obj in 'g <partname>' sections).
If I then loaded that exported .obj with "OBJ Parts" still on back into Modeler, the discrete Parts are showing up.

(edit) It also appears that OBJ One Layer must be OFF for Parts imp/exp to work.

Attached is a zip with the starting .lwo and the exported .obj/.mtl files. The object has two parts, 'top' and 'bottom'.

As always with LW's data exchange, the devil's in the details, and the exact relationships between settings, and what aspects of the scene or object are supported in the exchange, is not clear. I hate black boxes... I wish all of the import/export settings including GoZ and FBX were consolidated into a single Data Exchange panel with Presets for common workflows. The OBJ settings I use for ZB are different from the settings I use for Maya, for example.

bobakabob
07-21-2013, 03:51 AM
I found that if I had both "OBJ One VMap" and "OBJ Parts" on for export, the individual named Parts are saved as groups (saved in the .obj in 'g <partname>' sections).
If I then loaded that exported .obj with "OBJ Parts" still on back into Modeler, the discrete Parts are showing up.

(edit) It also appears that OBJ One Layer must be OFF for Parts imp/exp to work.

Attached is a zip with the starting .lwo and the exported .obj/.mtl files. The object has two parts, 'top' and 'bottom'.

As always with LW's data exchange, the devil's in the details, and the exact relationships between settings, and what aspects of the scene or object are supported in the exchange, is not clear. I hate black boxes... I wish all of the import/export settings including GoZ and FBX were consolidated into a single Data Exchange panel with Presets for common workflows. The OBJ settings I use for ZB are different from the settings I use for Maya, for example.

Tburbage, Many thanks for the input, but sorry I'm not quite following this. Are you saying that Zbrush polygroups can import into Lightwave? If so what exactly should the settings be in which panels? Cheers, Bob

Ratteler
09-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Wow. This is BAD!!!!! Why would any one want to split their obj up into 1000 layers, or loose the part names on import? Who thought this was a good idea and why are they not on unemployment?

You've added a ridiculous level of complication to something that was SO easy and worked fine.

How about this... I want my OBJ to import on ONE LAYER, and have g groups as parts. Just like it's been since 7.5.
Now I have to flick option on and off. I have to open an OBJ, cut and paste it into one layer.

I still have yet to figure out if merging points destroys the point order I need to make morphs for Poser.

I hope in 11.6 this is actually fixed so that I can work the way I used to.