PDA

View Full Version : screamernet almost working...

ceicilbee
11-11-2003, 01:12 PM
i'm running 7.5 on osx 10.2 and i've got everything working for screamernet as a single batch render machine. the only problem is all my frames are black. when i monitor the LWSN status info, it says that it can't find the objects but it finds the scene properly. i have the content directory set properly, so why can't it find the objects? any help appreciated.

Matt
11-11-2003, 01:45 PM
These might help:

Screamernet OSX PDF:
27-SNETII_Mac.pdf (http://www.the-worms-of-art.com/ContFiles/Tutorials/27-SNETII_Mac.pdf)

Intel PDF (explains lots of theory, worth a read even if you're mac):
MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutorial.pdf (http://www.newtek-europe.com/Stuff/LightWave/Misc/MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutorial.pdf)

Hope that helps!
Matt

Scott Gammans
11-11-2003, 02:17 PM
A little off-topic and probably a dumb question, but I was wondering...

Can the host computer and the slave nodes in your Screamernet array be of diffrent O/S types? Specifically, I have a dual-processor G5 running OS X... can I use my old Intel computers that I have lying around (which run Windows XP Pro) for Screamernet nodes, or will that not work?

Matt
11-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Technically it should be possible, so long as all computers can see the command / content folders (and any plugins work the same on mac/PC) I've never tried it, but I _think_ it's possible, there is a problem though.

Procedural textures will render differently from frame to frame, due to the way each processor type calculates fractal math (or something technical!)

If you used your Mac as the control machine (not rendering) and your PCs as slaves then that would be okay.

Anyone else done Mac/PC rendering?

jdavidbakr
11-11-2003, 03:01 PM
The only way to do Mac/PC rendering at this point is to use a third party render controller. If you are based on the Mac, may I Humbly suggest the ScreamerNet Controller at http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet.

The issue arises that PC and Mac file paths are different, and the main point where this is stored is in the save RGB file info. So, a different scene must be sent to each OS. There are instructions in the download about setting up a cross-platform render, and there is also a great tutorial here (http://homepage.mac.com/mlinde/tipsandtricks/xplatformscreamer.html).

Scott Gammans
11-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Thank you both for the informative (and fast!) replies. I'm nowhere near the point where I'm ready to try what I'm suggesting (and yes, my dual processor G5 is my main workstation where LW is installed)... I just wanted to know if it was possible.

dhatch01
11-13-2003, 12:00 PM
All of my frames are rendering black as well. Has anyone got any suggestions for this? I downloaded the above mentioned PDF and that was what I used to set up our render farm, but it cannot explain why the objects are not being found.

I have all the objects in the folder with the scene file. Scene elements (like flares) render fine, but all objects are missing.

If I just load the file and hit F9, the image renders just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
11-13-2003, 12:17 PM
if no objects are being found then Screamernet can't find the content folder, double-check your paths and make sure all nodes have access rights to the folder in question.

dhatch01
11-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Both the scene file and the object files are all in the same directory, which is the directory pathed in the config file. It sees the scene file okay (scene based elements like flares render), but no objects.

jdavidbakr
11-13-2003, 01:27 PM
If the scene files are accessable on the remote machines, then it sounds like the content directory is not set correctly in the remote machines, or in the main machine. When you launch LWSN pay attention to the first line where it says "Content directory is now ..." and make sure that it is the path to where your content directory is on the main computer. Also, check to make sure that the files are in the content directory on the computer running Lightwave. You can open the scene in a text editor and see if the objects are referenced as a full path name (starting with the hard drive) or referenced like /Objects/DirectoryPath/object.lwo (which is how it is supposed to be)

NonPlanar
11-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi,

please try my tutorial on the following URL:

http://homepage.mac.com/nonplanar/

just click on OS X SCREAM at the top of the page... and follow the links from there.

Let me know if that works.

Dirk.

Imageshoppe
11-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
Thank you both for the informative (and fast!) replies. I'm nowhere near the point where I'm ready to try what I'm suggesting (and yes, my dual processor G5 is my main workstation where LW is installed)... I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Hi Scott,

Just a suggestion, and you might already be doing it. This works on PC's and I don't see why it wouldn't on a G5 as well...

...On dual processor machines you can render faster if you use Screamernet with a node running for each processor instead of just rendering with Lightwave's F10 with multiple threads set to 2.

This lets each CPU give 100% full value. You will need double the ram of a single processor machine, or a dual with running multiple threads, but this is the only way to get a 100% speed boost from that second chip...

regards,

Jim Arthurs

NonPlanar
11-16-2003, 10:32 AM
and, with setting up screamernet on a dual machine, you can batch render multple scenes...

this speeds up things a bit also since you can finish animating a couple of scenes, have them render sequentially overnite (or whatever)...

Scott Gammans
11-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Imageshoppe
Hi Scott,

Just a suggestion, and you might already be doing it. This works on PC's and I don't see why it wouldn't on a G5 as well...

...On dual processor machines you can render faster if you use Screamernet with a node running for each processor instead of just rendering with Lightwave's F10 with multiple threads set to 2.

This lets each CPU give 100% full value. You will need double the ram of a single processor machine, or a dual with running multiple threads, but this is the only way to get a 100% speed boost from that second chip...

regards,

Jim Arthurs Yes, that I was aware of... I was just trying to find out if there was a possibility of putting some older Wintel machines I have lying around to good use. Thanks again...