PDA

View Full Version : did we lose PROTON ?

tyrot
07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
http://www.luxology.com/interviews/2013/06/william-proton-vaughan

I have listened all interview - i dont think he mentioned lightwave once. He mentioned couple of times -other software company-.

it will be a great loss - because almost half of my lightwave knowledge is simply coming from his books or videos.

And call me Lightwave fanatic but this was the last thing i would expect ..

I mean - there are users - I know ...but William is more than a user - he simply was the only force who was keeping us in Lightwave in dark times. I mean i remember LW 8-9 period ..oh man. Video after video - Here - spinquad ... after all that amazing work ...

We already lost a great teacher - SplineGod - R.I.P. - This is kinda big SHOCK.

cresshead
07-08-2013, 07:59 AM
He added Modo a while back apparently, 3d apps are not 'only one choice' you can use as many as needed...they're tools after all, not a religion!
I guess you add whatever is popular if you are a teacher such as Maya, zbrush, modo, or max for job listings for your students future employment options.

I myself run several 3d apps, lightwave of course plus: 3ds max, modo 701, zbrush, blender and even tree sketch on ipad!
whatever gets the job done in my book is fine by me.

50one
07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, you know, things change all the time, maybe he's not switching to modo entirely but as a Modo user myself I'm sure he will love few things there:) <taking cover>

jasonwestmas
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
yes, Proton is just Proton, he didn't swear allegiance to one 3D god. :) Plus when you have as much experience as he has, you can't really expect to use only one program.

hazmat777
07-08-2013, 09:01 AM
He is offering one on one instruction in Modeling for both LW and Modo here...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136074-Learn-3D-Character-Modeling

Surrealist.
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
William is still around and teaching both LightWave and Modo. Looks like he has some nice teaching ideas to share with people. It's all good. Things are just progressing along.

probiner
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
He's alive and kicking, we sure didn't lose him, nor we "had" him in first place :) I don't know how he splits his work, but since LW and Modo play along well it's almost a no-brainer to have both for when the grass is greener on the other side. And many do know in what areas that is the case and not.

Wish him happy character modeling wherever he goes.

Cheers

WilliamVaughan
07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Like many professional 3D artists, I use an array of tools and over the years I have found that being software agnostic allows for higher levels of productivity. No one software is the be-all and end-all. Most are marketed as such, but the truth is, all software has its strengths and weaknesses.

Use what works best for you and more importantly.... have fun and enjoy what you do!

Nicolas Jordan
07-08-2013, 09:37 AM
People should always keep an open mind about software an use the best tools for the job. I use both Modo and Lightwave in my work since they both have unique strengths and weaknesses. I highly recommend having both programs for those who can afford to own both!

Surrealist.
07-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah if you have the time and money, it is always liberating to expand your tools set. I thrive on it.

Splurge if you can!

VonBon
07-08-2013, 11:03 AM
TRAITOR!!! :devil:

!punish PROTON for cheating

:D too much Battlefield 3

bobakabob
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
If William is teaching generic modelling skills he'll have a much wider audience if he is isn't tied to a single app.

At college my mantra is teach the skills not the software. Most students and 3d professionals should really be flexible and know an array of tools. The LW3D group recognise this and have made LW more compatible with other products such as Zbrush. Personally I love Lightwave for its speed; it's economical to run, has a superb renderer and ever improving animation tools and great community who solve problems in minutes. I may be an unashamed 'fanboy' but it hasn't stopped me learning Max, XSI, ZBRUSH, 3dCoat...

Ryan Roye
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Use what works best for you and more importantly.... have fun and enjoy what you do!

Agreed. Plus this mindset gives people access to a greater array of tools that may not even exist in Lightwave.

That said, I'd highly recommend learning a bit about blender to any 3d artist as the software/updates are free. Multi-app workflows are also expensive to maintain, but Blender doesn't suffer from this disadvantage.

tyrot
07-08-2013, 04:28 PM
ok then :) if everybody is happy - and also if Proton still release Lightwave tutorials - i ll be happy too.

wesleycorgi
07-08-2013, 10:31 PM
I have to admit that after watching some of William's Modo tutes (along with Dan Ablan's) these past couple of months, that I decided to finally force myself to learn Modo more in-depth (I've committed to building new meshes only in Modo this summer). Having used mostly LW, it is an easy transition into Modo. They do compliment each other well (even though there is much overlap).

rcallicotte
07-09-2013, 08:44 AM
No, I don't think he's lost to anything. http://www.pushingpoints.com/?p=2099 - check this out, though!! :)

djwaterman
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Great interview.

dwburman
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
It might be worth pointing out that Proton was an employee of Newtek for a while, so it might've been awkward for him to do tutorials for competing/complimentary apps back then. He probably has a bit more freedom now. :)

tyrot
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Dw - i agree but - not mentioning lightwave once in that interview - hmmm i dont think it was just a coincidence.

when you talk to a modo guy you cannot mention lightwave? is that it? freedom?

djwaterman
07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Diplomacy.

cyroz
07-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Cmon'
It'sonly diplomacy as stated above, everyone knows proton was a lightwave evangelist (even in the modo community), and still is a great contributor of the borh sides.
By the way, that's a great interview

prometheus
07-10-2013, 03:41 AM
The poly flow and count should be the same in Lightwave as in Modo, thatīs what counts..dont forget that.

I guess it might be as beeing in one place all time, sometimes you want to check other things out, and sometimes you return when something new shows up in the old room, maybe the lightwave team throws in some major
cool stuff in the next versions and give William an offer he canīt refuse:)

I just started testing houdini again, mostly due to the new cool cloudFX tools in there, felt that I could acheive the cloud stuff I wanted with just a few sessions, which I never could accomplish for years with hypervoxels...
that said..I found myself bumping back fiddling with ogo taiki in lightwave...Itīs definitly a different workflow and some stuff that is slower than inside of Lightwave along with my knowledge of it that will keep me hanging on to it for some time I think.

Michael

Surrealist.
07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Software evangelism is a disease that destroys creative choices and interaction between artists. It ought to be banned on all web forums along with politics and other religious discussion. To me there is nothing more oppressive and insidious than the nullification of creative choices and ideas by close-minded people. It has absolutely no place in discussion among artists in my opinion.

That said, software specific forums have the right to ban discussions about other software. But it is within latitude given on this policy that these "discussions" rare their ugly head.

It is indeed, the darker side of the forums.

We are all artists first and technicians second. The choice of software ought to be given its proper place in all discussion in that they are all just tools we use. The more choices the better. The more techniques that can be freely shared - and used/appreciated - the better.

This is how we learn and grow as artists. By freely discussing what we do, how we do it and why. We are all the benefactors of such a free exchange of ideas.

probiner
07-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Software evangelism is a disease that destroys creative choices and interaction between artists.
It ought to be banned on all web forums along with politics and other religious discussion.(...) It has absolutely no place in discussion among artists in my opinion.
That said, software specific forums have the right to ban discussions about other software. But it is within latitude given on this policy that these "discussions" rare their ugly head.
It is indeed, the darker side of the forums.
We are all artists first and technicians second. (...)

It's the market. We aren't just artists and technicians but also costumers and investors, therefore people discuss features, solutions, stability, workflows, comfort and value because they want to invest right their, time and brain cells. We interact with other artists and in the LW and Modo case it's a very easy one, but also with studios and companies that have their pipelines. So again, the market.

I like app vs app discussions, even though we know what happens most of the times. But! If you are doing prospect of the app market to know where to invest your money, time and brains you sure love those comments by experienced people explaining pros and cons of apps for workflow happiness and delivery. So to me they are a nice tool. I guess that people should just be educated to participate in them so it's constructive and accurate and you don't have to waste time filtering misinformation and ego clash.

I wouldn't call it evangelism, because William, like Larry was an evangelist, focused on solutions and I don't remember both nagging about other software. I would call it groupie-ism. Trying to make frontiers based on software (even if they do exist on the market as we know) not for workflow solutions reasons, but because...
I would also agree sometimes there's more focus on the tools than the art itself.

Cheers

Surrealist.
07-11-2013, 04:49 AM
I think you may have misunderstood me. The generic definition of evangelism has to do with converting people to a certain set of beliefs held to be true by the evangelist and his/her particular faith(software). And usually in a form that attacks any other system of beliefs as an opposition to be nullified in order to fulfill the goal of conversion to ones belief (software).

Discussions to remain positive should be free of evangelism by its more generic definition.

And in that light I think we are on the same page and I agree with the things you added.

As you say discussion is very positive. I don't see people like William or Lary as evangelists. They are just people who are knowledgeable and passionate about the software they use. Like me. Like you. Like most people here. This is normal and healthy. There is nothing wrong with being a salesman. But when you hold to certain ideas as facts in the face of all evidence otherwise it starts to go into another area that is not at all positive nor helpful. And it is even worse when these people feel they have to lash out against other people who use Software X.

I am very passionate about the software I use and I will challenge people - but only to the degree that they say things I know to be completely technically false, and not at all based on thier personal experience. And I don't advise on things I have not actually done or used. And if I do I clearly state it is an opinion and not based on facts.

This is in essence what I am talking about.

We should be discussing workflows as I stated above. It is good.

I think we agree on that.

rcallicotte
07-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Did anyone see my post that William is offering himself for one-on-one courses? It costs money, but hey...that would be AWESOME!

Surrealist.
07-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Yeah, and I think many of us saw the original post he made on it.

probiner
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I think you may have misunderstood me. The generic definition of evangelism has to do with converting people to a certain set of beliefs held to be true by the evangelist and his/her particular faith(software). And usually in a form that attacks any other system of beliefs as an opposition to be nullified in order to fulfill the goal of conversion to ones belief (software).
(...)
I think we agree on that.
yes :)

jasonwestmas
07-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Software evangelism is a disease that destroys creative choices and interaction between artists. It ought to be banned on all web forums along with politics and other religious discussion. To me there is nothing more oppressive and insidious than the nullification of creative choices and ideas by close-minded people. It has absolutely no place in discussion among artists in my opinion.

I would agree there is very little creativity in Political and Religious fanaticism. I'm glad you have noticed these things as well in cg communities.

Surrealist.
07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes. Wasted time and energy that could be spent constructively in my opinion.

sandman300
07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I have listened all interview - i dont think he mentioned lightwave once.

He didn't name lightwave directly but he did talk about it a few times. Of course it was an interview for the Modo community, Lightwave would have been a bit off topic.

One thing that I did notice when he was talking about users complaining about missing features and other things, I looked at the Newtek forums and realized that there are a lot of mostly useless threads. If people are really worried about the state of the community, we should focus on more constructive topics.

calilifestyle
07-11-2013, 10:05 AM
That interview with Proton is one the best I've heard in a long time.