PDA

View Full Version : Does renderer use time one rendering things outside of the view?

shenhua
07-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi. Not sure this is a right place to ask. I have no problems with rendering at this point at least... my question is simply out of curiosity - in case someone would ask me and want to compare with other software.

To rephrase my question from the title.

Say I have a scene, and the camera is in the middle, surreounded by objects. They might be very complex and _to me_ it seems sensibe that thouse outside of the view wouldn't be rendered by the renderer. Ofc things like lights and other stuff affecting what is in the view should...

I'm no expert so don't shoot me :hey: I'm really just curious if LW is taking such things into account! OR if it's sth we can control during the render? (Obv one could take objects out of the scene but if I say want the shadows casted by object behind the camera to be on the object in front then this wouldn't work...)

Edit:

Lol the title has a typo should be "on" not one -_-'

Cageman
07-07-2013, 03:25 AM
Depending what you do and what your materials are. If you have lots of reflective materials, the out of view objects would be reflected in them, so they need to be there. Also, things like shadows caused by out of view objects that should be visible in frame.

Generally though, LightWave doesn't render out of view objects and if it does, it is only in the above mentioned circumstances. So, you shouldn't have to worry about rendertimes.

shenhua
07-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Sensei
07-07-2013, 09:22 AM
While building kd-tree, the more data, the longer it takes.
Also traversing kd-tree, the more complex it's the longer it takes.

Turn off object you're worrying about in Scene Editor (toggle switch on the left listview), and render, check time, then turn it on, check again. You will see how much object is influencing render times.