PDA

View Full Version : Tanadrine Studios Tutorial Series: Saving/Loading anims to any rig w/ Dstorm plugins

Ryan Roye
07-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Here, I go over two Dstorm plugins I feel really needed some video coverage, as there is no English documentation for these uber-useful tools. They are oldies, but goodies.

http://youtu.be/q7pyLdSIp4Y

OTHER NOTES:

The HMOT (motion mixer) format works by matching the names of the items on the target character rig, so as long as names of bones/objects match and the base orientations are similar, things operate very smoothly. This is advantageous over IKBooster's motion load/save functions because IKB uses object identifiers... object identifiers can be troublesome if you, for example, delete a null and then re-add it (which changes the ID #, making any previously saved animation not work for it). However, IKB's motion load/save is still useful for these reasons:

Pair it with HMOT for character specific animations that you can just load up without channel assigning or additional correcting.
You can undo IKB motion load w/ CTRL-Z. You cannot undo HMOT loading. Really handy when you're off by 1 frame and accidentally overwrite your animation.
You can ease in/ease out IKB motion loading to blend animation transitions together (IE: you can ease a character into a walk cycle from a standing pose without manually animating it).

Also, though I don't recommend motion mixer just to do load/save motions, it's still handy for situations where you want to animate a character that's constantly in motion (IE: articulate a character's upper body movement and hand gestures while they walk). You can also offset animation, which is something I don't think can be done anywhere else in LW natively.

Finally, Motion Mixer is a lot more fun to use when you can use these two plugins to deal with things that are tedious to do in motion mixer... like channel assignments!

vector
07-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Thank you, Chazriker.

tyrot
07-09-2013, 02:27 AM
life saver tutorial!

LW_Will
07-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Amazing!