PDA

View Full Version : Calling all iClone Users

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Anyone out there actually had success in getting iClone5 content with animation into Lightwave? I've seen posts from the past about people talking about iClone and lightwave. But none of the posts actually had anyone that had tried it.

We have tried the trial of iClone and 3DXchange and have not had luck with the FBX import into Lightwave yet.

Anyone with a workflow? Thanks.

RebelHill
07-02-2013, 03:02 PM
fbx should work fine... the support in LW generally works well enough. If its not just coming straight in, post an example fbx and lemme see.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Rebel, your da man on FBX and rigging. I'm sure it's just something I'm doing. But not the regular export does not come in correctly. I have tried several converters forward and backward versions, third party FBX readers/converters.

Let me export a brand new fresh one (that I know is solid) and attach here. Stay tuned.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm out of exports now! This was my last two. I hope it can be figured out from here. Or I'll have to talk with support to have them get me more tests! :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2r0fhm

Let me know what you figure out.

RebelHill
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
First off... its exported the mesh as Z-up... thats no good for LW, if there's a Y up mode, use that (just open the mesh in modeler, no good).

Second, you're probably gonna have to do a rebind anyhow, and that aint gonna happen unless you export a bind pose, so somehow export the base Tpose along with the animation.

Then post again if u still got issues.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes there is a Y-up, that preset must have reset that. The others I've exported were Y-up. oops. As for the binding, I'm not familiar with how to do that. Yes the models I've gotten to come in (with animation) form this software have come in with bones/joints, but the mesh is all jacked up. I know you have some tuts on similar things I've seen. Is binding one of them?

It's wierd/frustrating, because I can import Mixamo files in FBX fine into LW all work just great. No rebinding, mapping, bones, joints..blah..blah...it just works. I wonder why FBX seems to have so many different ways to compile/save data. You would think if it works for one program the others would work too...

Thanks for anymore help you can give me direction on. your the LW community rigging expert! IMO. :)

RebelHill
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
well... the Yup may be all u need... may not. Rebinding basically just means reresting the bones to bind them to the mesh, which may be needed if there's offsetting of things due to re-orientation of things from the fbx importer... If having imported a Yup file, the skinning is still wrong, then to rebind you must have the bones matched to the pose of the mesh... base pose... therefore, unless u want to try and manually repose the bones to match the mesh exactly as it was originally bound (good luck!) you'll need to have a base pose included in the exported animation, ideally at first frame.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
ok, so I opened up the FBX in modeler (never thought to do that) and the model comes in textured with what seems to be Y-up orientation and in TPose orientation. What did you see on your side? I'm in 11.5.1?

As for the binding, I can export several poses from iClone one being the Tpose original as well as the motion I want attached to the model. Any chance you would want to download the trial of iClone and 3DXchange and help the community nail this down? I know several others that would be very interested or even buy a guide to know how to get a good pipeline for this software into LW.

I don't want to become a character animator just want some decent motions on people in arch animations. Or I would have jumped all over your rigging stuff already.

RebelHill
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
No need for me to have iClone ro whatever... cos fbx is the same everywhere...

LW uses Yup, so all exports have to be in that format...

Sometimes the mesh wont be bound right when opened in layout, in such a case all you need is have the bind pose there in order to be able to hit "r" and rebind.

Thats it.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
No need for me to have iClone ro whatever... cos fbx is the same everywhere...

LW uses Yup, so all exports have to be in that format...

Sometimes the mesh wont be bound right when opened in layout, in such a case all you need is have the bind pose there in order to be able to hit "r" and rebind.

Thats it.

Thanks Rebel. I appreciate you trying to help me out. Somehow Mixamo is able to export an FBX that has motion straight into Lightwave with no problems. However every effort I've made with iClone has not worked. Y-Up etc. So at least for me your statement of "cos fbx is the same everywhere" does not apply yet. I didn't have to rebind anything from Mixamo. I'm just at a loss and don't do much of this stuff. Banking my head the last two days hasn't helped!

All I was saying about iClone if you downloaded it, was you would be able to figure out the settings or sequence of events (knowing how this stuff goes together so well) and help others out with the pipeline.

I have an email to support at iClone to see if I can get some more exports to try with. Otherwise nothing yet.

Will a Y-Up export have the head at the highest Y point? That is how this model comes up in Layout and Modeler both? Just curious.

tcoursey
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
oh, progress! I was able to REST the bones (selecting them all) I have a TPose character now, not just a bunch of garbled mesh. I bet if I had the motion embeded with the TPose when I rest the bones the rest will follow. That may not make sense, but I think I understand what you were saying now. I need another export to test with! Hope they give me more. Thanks.

RebelHill
07-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Yes... u need both mesh AND bones in tpose to be able to bind, thats all.

And the reason for the differences between mixamo, etc isnt how they export, its how LW interprets the import... thats why the other app makes no odds... all you have to do is make sure that u have the right ingredients to be able to fix in LW if needed... Yup, tpose.

lightscape
10-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Does Iclone have an nle?
Looking into getting this for a cheap nle for mocap. Getting confused with the pricing and packages.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/pipeline/join_premium.aspx

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/14-ic6_preorder/preorder.html

iClone Animation Pipeline $499.00

iClone Facial Pipeline Power Bundle $399.00 cheaper?

lightscape
10-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Looks pretty useful for previz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWVFhEkbCwQ

features
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmEbcQe9IM

face and lip sync
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmEbcQe9IM&feature=youtu.be

New bundle has Iray renderer built in.
Lightwave not listed in supported appz.