PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think Of This Version

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty much done with this. Need to tweak a few things, but I like what I have here.

lertola2
07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't know if it is my monitor but the image is so dark that I can barely see anything but the glowing elements.

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 01:55 PM
My monitor is calibrated. Looks fine here.

Danner
07-02-2013, 02:01 PM
The wiskey is well done and sets the mood quite well. Everything is too perfect and clean, no scratches, stains or grit, and that shouts CG, but is also nice in a surreal kind of way. The cigarret butt seems a bit greenish for some reason.
Lertola2 your monitor is way off. Take a tour of this page to calibrate it. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ Windows on versions 7 and up come with a calibration utility too.

pinkmouse
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Now I know cigarettes are bad for you, but I've never seen one that seems to have a radioactive glow like that one! :)

Other than that, nice work.

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Now I know cigarettes are bad for you, but I've never seen one that seems to have a radioactive glow like that one! :)

Other than that, nice work.

Yes, I need to tone that down a bit. Also think I will change the light base to something more Tiffany looking.

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
The wiskey is well done and sets the mood quite well. Everything is too perfect and clean, no scratches, stains or grit, and that shouts CG, but is also nice in a surreal kind of way. The cigarret butt seems a bit greenish for some reason.
Lertola2 your monitor is way off. Take a tour of this page to calibrate it. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ Windows on versions 7 and up come with a calibration utility too.

Not quite sure why the green tint.

jasonwestmas
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
yeah I think an older style lamp would go better with the theme here. I think the colors are really nice.

Snosrap
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Well at least you've got stick-to-itiveness.

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I take it you mean iffiness?

Snosrap
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
stick–to–it·ive·ness noun \stik-ˈtü-ə-tiv-nəs\
: dogged perseverance : tenacity

Tony3d
07-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I guess so. Not sure what else ican do with this. I'm going to change the lamp base to something more 60's in style. What do you think of the glass?

shadowshifter
07-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I got a bit lost in the textures (it's not a bad thing, I spent a lot of time admiring them because I do things like that), they are very pretty. I found the cigarette looked a bit odd, but couldn't tell you what about it was odd. Maybe too shiny, I'm not sure. I didn't really have a problem with the absence of wear on everything, sure it screeches CG but it also says "disgustingly brand new" or "person who owns them has way too much time on their hands to buff everything to sheer blinding perfection" to me. I also found it looked a LOT better atmosphere wise on the native iMac screen (my browser lives on an external monitor) but not much you can really do about that ay. I like what you got there too.

Snosrap
07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
The glass is pretty good. I think your models are well built too. I think you just have a lighting and composition issue. If I were you I would clear all the lights in the scene and start a new light setup. Stay away from spotlights and remember area lights can be re-sized for harder shadows. Also don't forget our friend Fresnel on all your surfaces. Either create your own Fresnel shading with gradients or pop over to the shaders tab and use our old friend Fast Fresnel. Virtually every material known has some reflectance value, especially at glancing angles. Good luck.

Tony3d
07-03-2013, 06:04 AM
The glass is pretty good. I think your models are well built too. I think you just have a lighting and composition issue. If I were you I would clear all the lights in the scene and start a new light setup. Stay away from spotlights and remember area lights can be re-sized for harder shadows. Also don't forget our friend Fresnel on all your surfaces. Either create your own Fresnel shading with gradients or pop over to the shaders tab and use our old friend Fast Fresnel. Virtually every material known has some reflectance value, especially at glancing angles. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure what to do with the composition. I added the ash tray, and glass to set the mood of a 1960's hifi audiophile. I like those elements. I don't like the lamp base. was thinking of making something more Tiffany looking. Not sure I like the lamp idea at all. I have been into photography for years, and understand all about the rule of thirds, but just don't think it applies to this image so tightly. Other than the lamp I like the composition. What would you do differently? I usually do use fas fresnel a lot, but for some reason it did not work well with this image. The tubes looked wrong, and the front bezel looked really weird. Could be the lighting I guess. I like the dark lighting in this scene. I have tube audio equipment, and the tubes really do look right, maybe to much color saturation though. As far as the clean look many people complain about, they obviously don't own high end audio gear. The really high end stuff often has micron finishes on all surfaces. No scratches, to pitting, and no dirt. Pretty much pristine. I have attached a closeup to show more surface detail. Really this is what these surfaces look like. I would love to here your idea's on the composition. I though replacing the lamp base with maybe an owner's manual partially in the scene? Click on the image two, or three times to see it at 100%, and you will see the proper textures are in place.

djwaterman
07-03-2013, 06:54 AM
I vote for the owner's manual if you feel you can make it look good. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cigarette smoke, it looks like what it is, fractal mapped to geometry. Since you're a photographer, shoot some cigarette smoke against black to match the perspective and place it in in Pshop. I think it is pretty well finished apart from that smoke, it's a nice model so you should do like Snosrap said and play with it in other lighting as well.

jasonwestmas
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I mentioned the cigarette smoke before. I suggest comp in a photo or hand paint it.

djwaterman
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I mentioned the cigarette smoke before. I suggest comp in a photo or hand paint it.

My apologies.

Tony3d
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I vote for the owner's manual if you feel you can make it look good. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cigarette smoke, it looks like what it is, fractal mapped to geometry. Since you're a photographer, shoot some cigarette smoke against black to match the perspective and place it in in Pshop. I think it is pretty well finished apart from that smoke, it's a nice model so you should do like Snosrap said and play with it in other lighting as well.

Actually it's Hypervoxels. Same thing I guess.

JoePoe
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Heck, just do a google search for smoke on black background. btw, use screen in Pshop.... Jason I don't see ur post, sorry if restating.
(that's what I did in example below)

I like that u've put some more "stuff" in there.
Agree, manual over lamp. (ooooh, maybe the ashtray half on top of manual :hey:)
"Glow" in drink is "too much"/distracting.... it's brighter than the tubes. and @ 1st glance it looks like the light source is inside the glass.

It's coming along though!!