PDA

View Full Version : Display Options - Backdrop Help

wtdedula
07-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Hello All;
I am having trouble figuring out how to properly insert an image in the backdrop so that everything lines up perfectly in upper left and lower left and right viewports.

I am creating a box the size of my object as some tutorials specify but just can't seem to get this to work.

Could someone explain simply the best way to insert and align a set of images and also what the settings mean below ...

Thanks so much.

Tim

Markc
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
It's usually a case of trial and error, playing with the scale till it fits your template.
But remember to save the setting before closing LightWave.

nickdigital
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Hello All;
I am having trouble figuring out how to properly insert an image in the backdrop so that everything lines up perfectly in upper left and lower left and right viewports.

Do your images line up properly if you overlay them on top of each other in Photoshop? For example, is the length of your object the same in both profile and the top view?

hrgiger
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Well first you want to make sure that they match up in photoshop or your image editing software of choice.

Then once they are in LightWave, I will lay down reference points over the backdrop images to make sure that things line up. So if I was using car reference images, I would in the side viewport lay down a point on the farthest outreach of the front bumper and the farthest outreach on the back. Then I would lay down a few more points on other areas that are easy to spot in other views. So maybe one where the windshield starts, where the back window starts, etc.... Then you just have to make sure they line up in the other views. Usually it will take some tweaking of the image size and position to get everything lined up.

JonW
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Same as said above plus a few suggestions:

Depending on the image's use & how much detail you need for the task. Aligning to detail I make the image 4096 x 4096 in PS etc. If I need less, 2048 x 2048 etc.

You can also make a box/wire frame a known size & adjust the size of BG image to that size.

Where I can I pre align the image in PS, & pre rotate another version of the image if you are trying to align major things. Eg 12 & if a large potion of your object is at 12, just less mucking about squaring up objects.

Once I know the position I save the file name with say "Landscape_v-4520 h0135 s5000" the numbers are mm so I have the position & size ready to go.

If I need a second image with a different position I save a second version with that position.

dee
07-03-2013, 02:44 AM
I am creating a box the size of my object as some tutorials specify but just can't seem to get this to work.

Make the box, select the image and click on Automatic Size to fit the image to the box. The box should have the same ratio as the image.

wtdedula
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks all for all of your helpful suggestions. We were finally able to get things to line up properly. We didn't use a box and automatic size the second time because I think that was what was confusing us but I know it does work so we'll have to play around some more when we have more time.

Tim