PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting a possible AEtoLW glitch in 11.5.1

Digital Hermit
07-01-2013, 08:10 PM
If you have AE this would help me see if the problem is on my end. I have narrowed it down to this process.

Open AE and create a comp with a camera.
Send that camera to LW
In LW go to "Render Globals > Output" and "Save RGB" and name a file with your choice of extension.
Press F10 and render a few frames. (I know they will be black/blank but that is not critical for this.)
Go to the folder and see if the file you saved has the extension you designated.

All I get is the name of the file with no extension.

Thanks!

Vong
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Just tested here and I get a file extension just fine, under Windows 7.

If you're running Windows, do you have 'Hide Extensions for known file types' checked (turned) on? If so, then it's not going to show file extensions.

Digital Hermit
07-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks I've done that... the files have no extensions at all. I have Win7 as well.

Digital Hermit
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Ok, I figured it out and it had nothing to do with AEtoLW. But I am a bit confused.

In the "Render Globals > Output" you have the option to change the "Format" i.e. "Name_001.xxx" but you also have the option to change it to "Name_001" and that is what produced the files with no extension.

My question is, where, when, and why would you use the latter format when it produces files that are unrecognizable?

dwburman
07-03-2013, 02:09 AM
It could be a holdover from the Amiga days since the Amiga didn't rely on file extensions the way DOS (and therefore windows) did. In some ways it was nice, since apps would just load (or attempt to load) files whether there was an extension or not. Now I kind of like having the extension there so *I* know what kind of file it is.

Cryonic
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
OSX and Linux/Unix also don't rely on filename extensions to determine the filetype and associated applications for the type.