PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11.5 not Playing with obj Import well.

jburford
06-30-2013, 03:09 PM
In trying to play with the interior object from the CG Society Lighting Challenge, importing the OBJ into Lightwave, only puts everything into 1 Layer, no separation of Items/Objects in the scene.

If I pull the same obj into C4D or Blender, all is fine, all of the Objects/Layers are there and listed correctly and editable separately.

What the Fudge gives? If all other apps that I have or playing well with it, why not Lightwave???

Cheers

OBJ was too big to add. ... Link is http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=1109825

Lewis
06-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Be sure that you UNchecked "OBJ one layer" option first.

jburford
06-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Hey Thanks! Great Tip. It was checked on mine.....

Now, if LW would settle down now to work with or check..... Don't think my LW likes the file, too big and too many layers/objects in it. Layout is totally unresponsive, not able to do anything at all now.......

Hmnn, will have to wait and see if it catches itself, or forget working in LW with it.

Well, restarted the whole computer, and tried a second time and Layout churns into a mess. . ... 10 minutes and it is just churning its wheels not fully imported, not responding . ... nothing......

So, I think there was a reason why the Option is checked perhaps as default.

jburford
06-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok, took 20+ minutes and then was imported, layers and all.

But, just not possible to do anything or work in.

Lewis
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
LWM i slow as hell with LOT of layers so that might be problem sadly. How many layers/polys there is in Blender/Cinema ?

jburford
07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Was just pulling it into Layout.. but yeah, need to get into Modeler of course to work with.

Looks like 1000 objects/Layers, only 394,795 Polygons, and Memory of 16.1 MB

daforum
07-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Where's the obj?
I downloaded from the link and it only has a max file there??

jburford
07-01-2013, 04:39 AM
The Obj Link is just above the Max file link.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2F...dit?usp=sharing

Oddly, the file fairs better in Modeler. Can probably clean up there, get 500 layers of Books down to a couple.

daforum
07-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Aha! Got it thanks for the link.

Yep, too big for me too.

daforum
07-02-2013, 09:41 AM
jburford, did you manage to separate the objects into less layers?

Amurrell
07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Working with a file that has 2500+ layers with no slow down here, and loads within seconds, even with 1.4million polys. What type of system do you have? When dealing with .obj, make sure that you are merging points as well, since there is usually a lot of crap geometry.

Areyos Alektor
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
It's a scene for Maya and 3DS Max. It another way to work, neither better nor worse, just different ;)

From the LightWave point of view is a tortuous scene :
This isn't a unified application (:D), does not save a scene in the form of an object (except in exceptional cases).
The subdivision is too high it's irrelevant under LightWave since you will be using Subpatch with APS.
There are triangles and non-planar polygons, it's not ideal for the calculation of light.

To load need starts with 1 view and Hidden Line, it simplifies slightly the opening of the file (no problem even on my small Toshiba's notebook and runs perfectly on my station).

There is also a FBX version.

Cageman
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I can't access the CGTalk page... is it just me or does CGTalk seem to have some trouble?