PDA

View Full Version : OMG - zbrush updated - 4.6 another freeby too!

cresshead
06-26-2013, 07:29 PM
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178984

enjoy the power of remesher!

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=363891

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=363894

m.d.
06-26-2013, 08:41 PM
finally a decent remesher....

goodbye box modelling

cresshead
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
i've not installed this update yet but i've heard from people it's like a magic button!

hrgiger
06-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm so glad I bought zbrush.

VermilionCat
06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Life saver indeed...

bobakabob
06-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Brilliant, I've avoided retopologising models in ZB as it feels like rebuilding the model poly by poly. This is like smart poly decimation which could easily be tweaked for animation.

jwiede
06-27-2013, 12:59 AM
ZBrush has the best RoI of any 3D app I've ever purchased. Pixologic just keeps giving and giving and giving!

I really had my doubts after the mess of v3 on Mac, but they've earned back my trust many times over, I'd buy it again without hesitation. I actually purchased a Win license to go with my Mac license -- not because I had a need, but just so I'd always have ZBrush available, and because I felt it was the least I could do for everything they've given us customers.

Surrealist.
06-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Nice Update. Zremesher sounds promising. A needed tool for sure. And that Curve Bridge Brush is something I'll be looking forward to trying.

djwaterman
06-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Just updated, not that I'll ever get to using these new features as I've barely touched the basics, it's a steep learning curve and so many ways to make stuff, almost too many choices, a wealth of tools. One day I hope to master it.

Waves of light
06-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Wow. This has got my attention.

geo_n
06-27-2013, 02:20 AM
That is cool! Can it be done with imported mesh?

Waves of light
06-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Are there any vids on the actual process, in other words, is it a one click process, or do you have to define the edge loops and poly flow directions, like in 3DCoat (Autopo feature)?

EDIT: Also, I notice the price is going up to $795 soon.

probiner
06-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Holly Batman! I mean... quads...
I guess this just caught and surpassed 3D-Coat Auto-Retopo?

cresshead
06-27-2013, 03:13 AM
video on the process...you may need your spare hand to shut your jaw and stop the drooling onto your keyboard...you have been warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVoFi2mnyhA&feature=share

Greenlaw
06-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Wow, thanks for posting that. Getting my update now.

G.

Update: Got it. Let the fun begin! :D

cresshead
06-27-2013, 03:25 AM
That is cool! Can it be done with imported mesh?

i don't see why not...once in it's just a mesh..you may need to run decimation master...not sure...will try out later..having internet issues here!...hotspotting with my phone currently!

Waves of light
06-27-2013, 05:02 AM
video on the process...you may need your spare hand to shut your jaw and stop the drooling onto your keyboard...you have been warned!

Holy sugar honey ice tea. Jaw firmly on the floor.

allabulle
06-27-2013, 05:12 AM

What the... That tool is fantastic!

Thanks for posting the link.

safetyman
06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
I wish I had $700 laying around. If I buy Zbrush 4.0 on e-bay or something, will I still qualify for the free upgrades? How does the licensing transfer from person to person?

cresshead
06-27-2013, 05:35 AM
I wish I had $700 laying around. If I buy Zbrush 4.0 on e-bay or something, will I still qualify for the free upgrades? How does the licensing transfer from person to person?

if you have a best friend...ask her to sell a kidney for you..i'm sure she will once she see's this!

Darth Mole
06-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Wow. I have ZBrush but barely use it because I find it too complex to move from app to app - but now you can just bash a sculpt out and export the remeshed version. You could easily make simple modelling changes in LW, add textures etc. This is really amazing... will try it tonight!

rcallicotte
06-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Vunderbar!!!

prometheus
06-27-2013, 07:03 AM
can lightning strike again? in which order?..they have done it again.

Got a lot of saliva running now:)

Got to pick this up.

djwaterman
06-27-2013, 07:05 AM

Yes, that's how I bought my copy, although because of my hesitancy to part with money over the net with someone I didn't know, we involved Pixologic during the transfer or something, I might have to dig through my emails to find out what it was we did, but yes, the license is transferable.

djwaterman
06-27-2013, 07:16 AM
It seems that the current owner has to deactivate their version of ZBrush and then submit a work order to get permission, I mean Pixologic has to be involved. I'm not sure you can upgrade if your buying an old version though, when I got mine it was current and the user didn't need it. You might have to go to the Pixologic site and ask some questions.

dickbill
06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Absolutely great.
Did you receive an email about 4R6? i did for 4R5, with ref and serial #, but not this time.

Baba
06-27-2013, 08:35 AM
No email here either, but you should be able to upgrade from within 4R5, let Zbrush check for updates. Mine will be checking tonight :)

dsol
06-27-2013, 08:36 AM
This is mindblowing stuff - think how much time this will save! It's the most amazing retopo tool I've ever seen!!

edit: If you want to get the update, just run the Zupdater app (in the same directory as the Zbrush app). I'm running 4r6 now :) Now to see if they've fixed the massive projection master bug from 4r5...

geo_n
06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Just saw the video. This is almost exactly what 3dcoat autoretopology is except for the quick undo. It has the exact same problem, too, the mesh produced still has too many polys on areas where's its basically flat/wide where little details are not there.
3dcoat had two solutions for that, guides similar to the zbrush video, and "highlighting" areas with high detail to isolate retopo math in that area. Problem is the mesh was still unacceptable after doing the guides and highlighting areas but Andrew has not updated retopology math for some time. Autoretopo seems good for quick static mesh and non-hero models.
Maybe the math in zbrush is better since its new but hopefully then can show a better example because the head is still too dense in that video.

hrgiger
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Just saw the video. This is almost exactly what 3dcoat autoretopology is except for the quick undo. It has the exact same problem, too, the mesh produced still has too many polys on areas where's its basically flat/wide where little details are not there.
3dcoat had two solutions for that, guides similar to the zbrush video, and "highlighting" areas with high detail to isolate retopo math in that area. Problem is the mesh was still unacceptable after doing the guides and highlighting areas but Andrew has not updated retopology math for some time. Autoretopo seems good for quick static mesh and non-hero models.
Maybe the math in zbrush is better since its new but hopefully then can show a better example because the head is still too dense in that video.

You can use polypaint to determine which areas have less density and which have more. You can also set target polycounts. Or you can use the quick preset buttons of half, double, same, etc... to make it simpler. Ryan was just showing an overview of ZRemesher and wasn't showing all the nuances of the tool. The fact that its part of the undo history is also great.

probiner
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
You can use polypaint to determine which areas have less density and which have more. You can also set target polycounts. Or you can use the quick preset buttons of half, double, same, etc... to make it simpler. Ryan was just showing an overview of ZRemesher and wasn't showing all the nuances of the tool. The fact that its part of the undo history is also great.

Yup that sounds like 3D-Coat way... I guess we will see a result comparison soon :)

eKalb
06-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Maybe try turning up Adaptive Size closer to 100 and/or reducing the Target Polygons Count. Seems to me that the higher you set Adaptive size, the larger the polygons will be on flat areas and smaller they will be around sharp contours all while trying to keep a polygon count near the Target Polygons Count setting. I haven't had a chance to test it yet though so I don't know how much it is affected.

geo_n
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Ah so it has the same "highlighting" of areas to control density as 3dcoat. Wasn't in the video. Would love to see the output from zbrush after highlighting. I still have doubts this would replace manual retopo. But again for static objects and non-hero models autoretopo is fine and I use it all the time along with auto-uv.

jaf
06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
In case there's xp users like me (I know, I should upgrade to win7 at least), the full install of 4R6 will give an error -- OS not supported. However, the simpler check for updates|update seems to work fine. The UDK installs have a similar problem but the work-around is to use a shortcut to the installer like this:
C:\Users\XXXXX\Downloads\UDKInstall-2011-09-BETA.exe -progressonly

jasonwestmas
06-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Neet!, creating a quad mesh (with nice polyflow) from a triangle mesh is very amazing. Though hand done retopo is going to be the best solution, this will be great for most things I'm hoping.

Edit: For something as complex as a face I can see myself using this Z-remesher to save a lot of time. . . and then correcting some smaller issues inside of modo, 3dc or topogun.

OnlineRender
06-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Creasing brush is a life saver complemented with panel loops...zbrush is just damn sexy

Digital Hermit
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm so glad I bought zbrush.

Me too! I feel guilty with this update, though... like I should send them some more money - heh.

jasonwestmas
07-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Me too! I feel guilty with this update, though... like I should send them some more money - heh.

buy a copy for a friend if you really want to support zbrush. :)

Waves of light
07-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Pick me... me, pick me!

Digital Hermit
07-01-2013, 10:05 AM

I have no friends, hence the "Hermit" moniker. :D

cresshead
07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
just been playing with z remesher, yeh i took a while to run the updater!
have to say it's flippin amazin, simple as that.

and poly painting areas you want to be reduced works great also.
what an app!!

...if just this auto retopo was available as a plugin for Lightwave it would be worth $199 easy.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115613&d=1373824851

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115614&d=1373825883