PDA

View Full Version : Free IKBooster Rig

Ryan Roye
06-26-2013, 07:36 PM
http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_autoupload/IKBRigPreview.jpg

If you'd like to use this as a study reference or are just curious about what a production-proven IKBooster rig looks like, check it out! Use it however you like.

NOTES:

- With exception of CoG rotation and the relativity-driven tail controller, the rig is click-drag operated.

- TAIL: The tail is typically driven by relativity: rotating the base bone will make all bones follow in a swaying motion. Best results are given via steady rotational movement, but know you can adjust the speed in real time by using a null to drive the delay of the bones. Personally, I just mix in manual IKBooster movements whenever I need extreme control over the tail. Most scenes don't demand it. NOTE: You can use the Tail mover bone for adjustments to height and amount of swing.

- With IKBooster, you may notice that if fix the tip and base of a bone, controlling the parent-most part of the bone will result in a non-rotational movement. Try fixing the base and tip of the "Head_Tip" bone, and notice that the head stays pointed forward as you manipulate the base of that bone.

- LEGS: You can get foot swivel movement by holding down CTRL and manipulating the bank channel. There's various fixing combinations you can do to achieve things like rolling heels and accurate toe movement.

- Quaternion booster qualities: You may notice some odd starting coordinates that you wouldn't find in normal rigs. This is to make this rig's deforms work right out of the box without any additional weight maps, modifiers, or other things that typically slow down responsiveness in Layout... this also means all I have to do to add this rig to a character is move half of the rig, mirror-copy, and IKstop where needed. While this isn't practical with IK rigs, it works beautifully for IKB. You can have 10+ of these rigs active (with their characters visible) all at the same time with high responsiveness. Some of Delura's scenes have required that all of the rigs be active simultaneously, and it helps a ton. That said, I don't work with normal IK anymore.

- The red bone is mainly for scenes involving tables or upper-body only shots. Its just easier to quickly manipulate the character in those circumstances.

- Hip swing can be achieved in a variety of ways. Optimal is to switch CoG to rotate mode and use rotational movements with the neck fixed, but you can also leave CoG in move mode and do pelvic movements that way.

- Body movement is achieved by simply grabbing the neck or shoulders and pulling. You can put an IKStop on the neck if you don't want head movement to affect the body.

- In animation, it is important not to move the CoG while in rotate mode. This moves the character's bounding box and will make things float around when making changes/edits. If you want to rotate the whole rig for doing flips and stuff, use LW's normal rotational controls.

- The "hand-HP" bones are special. You can pin both that and the hand bones to lock the hands in place... or you can move the fixed Hand-HP bone forward to determine where the hand should pivot.

-This rig can interact dynamically with any object in 3d space (as in, you can make it grab a character or even a rotating object, and have their limbs rotate/react accordingly). I'll leave that for a special tutorial for later ;)

- Re-targeting animation is straightforward: just re-bake on the new character's arms/legs where needed.

- Torso twisting is best done by pulling/pushing the shoulders, but you can manually do it as well for fine-tuned adjustments.

- You can press f1-f3 (disable XYZ) if you wanna get things like foot sliding or axis-dependant movement like when you control a typical object.

As a final note, I can proudly say I'm no longer a retrowaver. (well, at least until the next update rolls along) :D

Dodgy
06-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Cool stuff, thanks Chaz!

nickdigital
06-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks chazriker!

erikals
06-27-2013, 10:16 AM
so much to learn... :]
thank you :king:

Ryan Roye
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I also have plans to do a tutorial on how to save/load/transfer motions between IKB character rigs... and have it actually work flawlessly.

One problem with IKBoosters pose/motion load/save is that it works strictly through object identifiers (not object names). This means that while the delete-adjust-mirror-rest method is a good way to set up a new character quickly, it also means that you cannot transfer animations between the original and adjusted character rigs... even though the hierarchy is structurally identical.

In my opinion, IKB's motion/pose functions are best left for mocap solutions like in the demonstration thread recently posted here. Now, you can convert hmot to IKB format to make things quicker and easier, but again I'll cover that in a tutorial later.

mummyman
06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
This might be the wrong place to post, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about taking a preset, high rez mesh, for instance... a zygote human model, with layers, and getting it to a nice, rigging pose. Their pre frozen positions make it impossible to change poses on it.

erikals
06-27-2013, 10:37 AM
In my opinion, IKB's motion/pose functions are best left for mocap solutions like in the demonstration thread recently posted here.

link > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135486-Tutorial-Motion-Capture-witk-Ik_booster!-(with-test-files)

mummyman
06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
link > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135486-Tutorial-Motion-Capture-witk-Ik_booster!-(with-test-files)

Yes...very cool link

Ryan Roye
06-27-2013, 10:42 AM
This might be the wrong place to post, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about taking a preset, high rez mesh, for instance... a zygote human model, with layers, and getting it to a nice, rigging pose. Their pre frozen positions make it impossible to change poses on it.

Sounds like an Rhill problem! :) I disagree with a lot of his workflows, but there is no debating that he knows his stuff when it comes to perfecting deforms (as in, handling musculature, complex shoulder twists/rotations, etc) with super-detailed meshes, and other stuff like that. I wouldn't recommend working on a pre-frozen mesh personally.

Anyways, check out this thread he recently created. (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136042-Challenging-Rigs/page3)

mummyman
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Trust me... if I could... I'd change the workflow and models... :) Thanks for the response...

mummyman
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe using the new Zbrush ReTop tool could help. Would loose my textures though...

RebelHill
06-27-2013, 11:00 AM

A lot depends on the actual condition of the model itself, and how extreme it is... but u can rig in any pose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAjA_VeKxT0#t=08m35s

mummyman
06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks RHill, I'll check into it for sure... Great stuff...

mummyman
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
A lot depends on the actual condition of the model itself, and how extreme it is... but u can rig in any pose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAjA_VeKxT0#t=08m35s

So, I should look into getting the "PRO" / small business version? This will let me rig the models in strange poses?

Ryan Roye
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
So, I should look into getting the "PRO" / small business version? This will let me rig the models in strange poses?

Please leave commercial plugin discussion for PM's or for threads related to them.

mummyman
06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
oops... sorry

Oedo 808
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks, always nice to see things like these.

erikals
08-11-2013, 10:16 AM
very nice tail setup, i wonder, is it possible to use pose save / pose load on it.. ?
tried a bit, but so far i couldn't cut it... it's probably just me doing something wrong... :o

Ryan Roye
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
very nice tail setup, i wonder, is it possible to use pose save / pose load on it.. ?
tried a bit, but so far i couldn't cut it... it's probably just me doing something wrong... :o

IKB's pose/motion load/save is something I need to cover in a separate video, which I'm working on. it isn't as straightforward as it should be as the tools lack "error checking". IE: If you saved a hand pose in child mode with the wrist bone selected, you MUST load the pose having the same item selected and also in child mode, and if the object ID is different from what is contained within the loadfile it will also not work (some people delete half the rig, position bones, then mirror heiarchy to adapt rigs to new characters... this breaks your ability to use IKB load/save on different rigs because this CHANGES the object ID). This is also true if you use genoma, skelegons, and other destructive methods of rig adapation... so if I intend to re-use motions I save everything with map motion 2, then transfer that to IKB rig format for faster loading and re-use (IKB format also saves ikbind data). I am developing a workflow that eliminates this problem, however... but I'd feel better battle-testing it before saying much about it.

As for the tail, the one linked in the original post is more of an automatic solution. You move the yellow bone and the rest of the bones move with it. The parent bone (the one above the yellow bone) is used when you need to adjust the height. If even more control over how the tail curls is needed, a null modifier can be applied to relativity. If you want to curl the tail downward and lift, you can move the parent bone upward and the tail controller downward to get a nice upward curling motion. Or, you can also use MF motion baker then switch to IKB keyframing if you need total control (after baking, you can just uncheck all the relativity motion modifiers on the tail bones and leave it there for later use).

erikals
08-12-2013, 07:34 AM
As for the tail, the one linked in the original post is more of an automatic solution

i see now, i copied one frame (hpb) to another frame the vector using VectorCP,
while the rotation was identical, i found the two frames ended up looking different.
i guess it's a semi-automatic solution?

edit, ah, this line explained it http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

...you can adjust the speed in real time by using a null to drive the delay of the bones
my mistake, didn't read the tail intro text properly.

so yep, more specific tail animations will have to be "hand" animated...
luckily ikb is good at that too though... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

Ryan Roye
08-12-2013, 08:27 AM
so yep, more specific tail animations will have to be "hand" animated...
luckily ikb is good at that too though... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

That is correct. Think of it as a 2-way system between automation and IKB movements:

1) Relativity applied to the bones automates the smoothing of the tail movements for very fluid results.

2) When manual control is needed one can use MF motion baker on the automation section of animation (using a step of 3-4 is fine, more if your FPS is high), uncheck the relativity property on the bones (don't delete them, you can re-use them!), and animate with IKB. I have found that for about 90% of my animation in Delura, the relativity tail is more than suitable... its when choreography is involved where you may want to hand-animate some stuff (IE: a character gets pulled by their tail, or they knock something over with it, or there's a fight scene where rapid motions are in play). IKB allows for this kind of stuff without a complicated rig, and can be changed in mid animation of course.

I almost never use the null speed modifier for relativity (because its usually faster to just switch to IKB), but I have tried it and it does work. I imagine this might be handy when it is important that the bone movements are as fluid as possible.