PDA

View Full Version : LW on Linux -> WineConfig?

The Fallen
11-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi there everybody!

I got damn near running LW on my gentoo linux box (kernel 2.4.0, gentoo 1.4, wine20031016) but now, just right after the setup starts to configure the windozeinstaller, i get tons of errors which looks like this (the "read x" value differs always the same way up do 1015) :

---
warn:storage:StgStreamImpl_Read read 76 instead of the required 1024 bytes !
---

and then 2 times

---
ERROR: You need to merge the 'winedefault.reg' file into your
Wine registry by running: `regedit winedefault.reg'
---

but merging this doesnt help, i also reinstalled wine several times. Can anybody plz post me the LW DllOverrides of his wine config? Or even better describe how i can get it working? I know gnu got it work but if i would ask him by pm this would nobody help so i post a new thread. Any help would be very kindfull ;)

Greetings
The Fallen :cool:

diablo-d3
11-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Actually, I'd rather have a native linux version of layout and modeler. Maybe if enough people ask, we'll get it? I mean, we already have a native binary of screamernet, it shouldnt be that hard to port layout and modeler.

The Fallen
11-12-2003, 10:10 AM
I dont know much about linux programing and porting to linux but i think this cant be very difficult, too. I'll open a thread on that, but i still think that a lw/wine howto or something like that would be very helpfull cauz lightwave needs several dlls and stuff like that and i think it isnt done with porting the main exe files. Anyway, good idea :)

Greetings
The Fallen :cool:

diablo-d3
11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
For the record, lightwave runs for me. _Except_ you have to get some crack to remove the dongle crap, otherwise you'll run in to severe problems.

BTW, When I say crack, I DO NOT ADVOCATE PIRACY. Using a crack to remove dongle support WHEN YOU LEGALLY OWN A COPY is legal ONLY IF its to get it to run on an unsupported platform. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

But yeah, I install lightwave in windows, make sure it runs, apply crack, reboot to linux, install wine, set it up to use a "fake windows" installation, and then just run lightwave.exe from my windows partition.

However, there are some issues, like the odd red text issue, and lwhub somethings failing to work. But for most stuff, it tends to work quite well.

The Fallen
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah, i have read about it and got one (i HAVE a legal copy and im also against piracy) but i dont like to dualboot or whatever. Strangly enough my previous install doesnt work except it should give me errors about dlls it couldnt load ;) Did u have specified any dlloverrides or something like that?

diablo-d3
11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
This method technically isnt dualboot. You only need windows once to install lightwave, due to the fact wine doesnt properly support installers like installsheild. (Which is what newtek uses.)

I dont use any dll overrides, because with a "fake windows" install, you use no real windows dlls, all wine provided ones.

The Fallen
11-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the damn installershield... i supposed it might depend on that. Well, ill see what i can do further. Thx for ur help, maybe 1day a noob like i will find this thread and thank us :D