PDA

View Full Version : Reduce polys and keep quads?

Fotofashion
06-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Ok I did some thing stupid, I played around with the displaysment map, and did not think that I would not be able to undo my last steps in modeller.

So I really hope there is a way to reduce the polycount and keeping the quads, instead of the ugly result I get when I use the reduce poly+

JoePoe
06-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, not really sure what you did. :stumped:

It might take a minute or two... but how about:
Getting rid of half your model.
Go around band-glueing pairs of loops.
Mirror back to full.

I know it's not one button magic, but I don't count that many pairs...... under 5 minutes to do. :)

Fotofashion
06-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Thank you, I will try that :)

3DGFXStudios
06-26-2013, 03:52 AM
You can also check the temp files generated by the hub for backups.

Located here C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

lwanmtr
06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
would be nice if NT or someone made a polygon reducer that kept quads (or tried as much as possible) as well as maintaining UV's. I've had some of my older < LW 5 models that i'd love to rework (yeah, some were before I learned you didnt have to freeze all the time). LOL.

JoePoe
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Thought of a MUCH easier way. :foreheads

Instead of selecting pairs of poly loops and band-glueing over and over and over.....

Animated gif below.... more of a batch process. :hey: It did leave a couple stray points on the end (fluke?), but they were easily dealt with: point statistics > delete.

(On your object I would still recommend working on one half, then mirroring whole again)

Surrealist.
06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Lessons learned the hard way always.

If you upload the model I'll do it for you. I have a quad reducer in a couple of programs I own.

In the future always make back up copies of stuff you play with. But I guess you know what now.

3DGFXStudios
06-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Lessons learned the hard way always.

If you upload the model I'll do it for you. I have a quad reducer in a couple of programs I own.

In the future always make back up copies of stuff you play with. But I guess you know what now.

After every action and or modification Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S Shift-S . That's how I do it.

Surrealist.
06-27-2013, 06:28 AM
lol

Good plan.

Actually I like to keep progressions in layers and only occasionally create versions.

But however you do it. Have a plan.

JoePoe
06-27-2013, 06:56 AM
lol

Good plan.

Actually I like to keep progressions in layers and only occasionally create versions.

But however you do it. Have a plan.

That's how I do it. And then if I make a MAJOR modification I'll bump up the root name 1 (or give it a little more description). So instead of hunting through a pile of sequential files to find a particular spot, I can hone in much faster.

prometheus
06-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Theres a better tool for it now, with the zbrush pipeline:)
there´s another thread about it on the forums...
zbrush 4.6 remesher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CVoFi2mnyhA

Fotofashion
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Thank you all for the advices, luckely I found a backup file :D

3DGFXStudios
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Thank you all for the advices, luckely I found a backup file :D

In the temp folder? or just somewhere on you HD?

JoePoe
06-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I would like to know too. I couldn't find the temp folder (different on MAC??).

Kuzey
06-27-2013, 03:58 PM
In the temp folder? or just somewhere on you HD?

This is lW9.6 but it might be the same or similar location:

Users/Username/Library/Caches/Lightwave3D/lwhub

Edit: Just checked, it's the same location for LW11.5 :)

Edit #2 Looks like there is a Newtek folder inside the caches folder..so it's a different location..oops :)

Kuzey

Surrealist.
06-27-2013, 09:14 PM
At least the hub us useful for something.:D

Fotofashion
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
yeah, the hub is great.

Anyway was not happy with the design so I recreated it. Stil wip.