PDA

View Full Version : Instance at intervals along along a curve / spline / poly chain

adk
06-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi gang ...

Not sure if this has been mentioned / requested already but I'd love to be able to load a LW or LWCAD curve / linework / poly chain and be able to instance things along it at regular intervals irrespective of points.
So two curves of different lengths & point numbers should be able to produce instances at regular (and same) intervals on both of those items.

This would make tree lined boulevards, streets & parks that have some sort of regularity in their greenery much easier to do & not be destructive.
I think this possibility is highly unlikely but I'd thought I'd ask.

Unless there is a way of somehow doing this already and I'm missing something ?

Cheers.

dpont
06-24-2013, 11:36 PM
If you export your spline as motion path,
there's a way to do this with a 'Path Distribution' mode.

Denis.

adk
06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Ahhh, thanks a lot for that tip Denis. Very much appreciated.

adk
06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Well it sort of works but I'll be darned if I can get it to do what I really need to be honest.
The only thing that seems to work is creating bezier curves in LW, then attaching them as a motion path to a null in Layout. If I simply import the curve as a layer all I can do is instance to it's points.
After that it's pretty much impossible to get the instances separated at consistent intervals I'm afraid. Or I simply can't figure out how.

dpont
06-28-2013, 12:50 AM
...that it's pretty much impossible to get the instances separated at consistent intervals I'm afraid. Or I simply can't figure out how.

There's a Min and Max Distance for Path Distribution in DP Instance and DP Instancer,
I can get uniformed intervals with the same distance for both parameter,

However instances are always animated along the path..

There's another way, by setting 'Pivot Distribution' for multiples instance
on a static Null, then taking the reference of another Null with the spline-motion,
in the Motion Info node,
add the following nodal setup,
Instance Index divided by the number of instance input
in the 'Covered Percent' of the Motion Info node,
use the Position output.

Denis.

adk
06-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks a bunch again Denis. The instances moving is a no go in this case so I can't use that technique I'm afraid.
I will definitely have a look at the spline motion option however and see how easy that is to setup. Cheers.