PDA

View Full Version : Eyes morphing in Size as well as turning in Morph Mixer. HELP!

Seeking Buddha
06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I am trying to do a simple morph to have a characters eyes rotate and roll, but they keep changing size as they're rolling. I turn them one way and they squish, turn them the other (into the negative of the morph) and they bulge out of the sockets. I have been at this for two days trying different ways to set up the morph and I'm about to lose my mind. It's the last thing I need to start using this character. Any ideas?
Peace,
Buddha Boy115146115147

nickdigital
06-23-2013, 02:26 PM
To rotate the eyes you should use bones or separate them out as separate objects.

hrgiger
06-23-2013, 02:54 PM
They're changing size most likely because morphs in LightWave are linear. Meaning the points from the base shape to the morphed shape travel in a straight line so they're not actually rotating, each point is just traveling in a straight line form its base position to its final morph position. As Nickdigital said, you'll need to use bones or put them it they're own layer and use the pivot of that layer to rotate them. And personally, bones are much simpler.

JoePoe
06-23-2013, 03:45 PM
You could also target them to a null (also requires that each eye has its own pivot point in the center of itself).
They will both track the null in unison so you don't have to keyframe them separately. Just move the null and the eyes follow.

With the null as target you can also effect size (if you want it to :hey:... but of course this won't change the size of the lids. If you need that too, you should go with bones for sure).

Seeking Buddha
06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Big Thank you for all the suggestions. Bones it is.

Seeking Buddha
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Okay eyes are tracking great. I made 2 nulls and parented them so he didn't cross his eyes and I kept my morphs to make crazy eyes with. Waste no want not.