PDA

View Full Version : Genesis 2/Victoria 6 release

jimzombie
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure how this one will go down here so I'll lob it in and run away for a bit. I'll check back at some point to see if people are still laughing. Let me further preface this post by saying that DAZ Studio was my entry into 3D. Before I stumbled on the software I always assumed it was something that was way too technical and beyond me. Getting into DAZ Studio got me hooked straight away and gave me the confidence and desire to learn more. So just a year later I got into LightWave, thanks to a member of this community for parting with a version of 9.6 for a very reasonable price.

But now I'm rambling, when all I wanted to say was that DAZ 3D have just released their latest figure, and it's looking quite good http://www.daz3d.com/sales-promotions/#victoria As with the previous Genesis product the base mesh is free. As someone who can't model figures for anything, let alone texture and rig them software like DS (which is free) and Genesis are invaluable.

I put together a review of the product http://www.digisprawl.com/blog/daz-studio-stuff/daz3ds-genesis-2-and-victoria-6-review/ Keep in mind it is targeted mostly at the DAZ and hobbyist community, but I think there is some useful info there.

wesleycorgi
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
I think Daz provides some great tools that LW currently doesn't offer — for free.

prometheus
06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure how this one will go down here so I'll lob it in and run away for a bit. I'll check back at some point to see if people are still laughing. Let me further preface this post by saying that DAZ Studio was my entry into 3D. Before I stumbled on the software I always assumed it was something that was way too technical and beyond me. Getting into DAZ Studio got me hooked straight away and gave me the confidence and desire to learn more. So just a year later I got into LightWave, thanks to a member of this community for parting with a version of 9.6 for a very reasonable price.

But now I'm rambling, when all I wanted to say was that DAZ 3D have just released their latest figure, and it's looking quite good http://www.daz3d.com/sales-promotions/#victoria As with the previous Genesis product the base mesh is free. As someone who can't model figures for anything, let alone texture and rig them software like DS (which is free) and Genesis are invaluable.

I put together a review of the product http://www.digisprawl.com/blog/daz-studio-stuff/daz3ds-genesis-2-and-victoria-6-review/ Keep in mind it is targeted mostly at the DAZ and hobbyist community, but I think there is some useful info there.

I dont see it as a free product..it says $27.96 ?

looks quite good, but I dont think they do a proper render of it, bad poses and lifeless eyes and poly hair automaticly gives the look
of a paper mannequin..maybe they should have done some better renders with better lighting and poses and garibaldi hair system.
Another thin always notable with daz figures, same face symmetry which is highly unrealistic, make human has implemented some algoritms for assymmetry and they actually looks more like real humans than daz figures, that said...daz has some great figure shaping tools and better UI and export options..make human isnīt by anytime near for good use really.

Michael

Davewriter
06-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm a bit confused with their direction with this. I thought the idea with Genesis was to have an all-in-one figure that you could "morph" out into other shapes, with the idea that the base shape was a lower poly count than found in earlier Daz figures. But with Vic 6 it seems they are working their way into higher poly counts again.
But then, I confuse easily.

jimzombie
06-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I dont see it as a free product..it says $27.96 ?

Michael

That's because you're looking at V6. To get Genesis 2 you need to "purchase" DAZ Studio 4.6 - which is free. When you do this you will be able to access Genesis 2 Female Essentials. I assume the male version will be released sometime over the next few weeks/months. Unfortunately DAZ were a good deal more cunning this time and didn't include anything in the way of morphs for the base product. They also didn't include native support for V4 textures, which is a bit of a pain if you're looking for free texture sets, though there are some good Genesis ones about. There are also already a tutorial about for importing G1 morphs for G2. I'll find it if anyone is interested.

You're not wrong about the poses too. I bought into one of the bundles, and all the included poses were pretty meh.

@ Davewriter: DAZ claims that the move to split along gender was going to make it possible for greater gendered details. I think it will also make it easier for content creators to make more elaborate gender specific goods. I wouldn't be too worried about G1's lower poly count as it works with subd. G2 does offer some much needed detail though.

prometheus
06-21-2013, 10:31 PM
That's because you're looking at V6. To get Genesis 2 you need to "purchase" DAZ Studio 4.6 - which is free. When you do this you will be able to access Genesis 2 Female Essentials. I assume the male version will be released sometime over the next few weeks/months. Unfortunately DAZ were a good deal more cunning this time and didn't include anything in the way of morphs for the base product. They also didn't include native support for V4 textures, which is a bit of a pain if you're looking for free texture sets, though there are some good Genesis ones about. There are also already a tutorial about for importing G1 morphs for G2. I'll find it if anyone is interested.

You're not wrong about the poses too. I bought into one of the bundles, and all the included poses were pretty meh.

@ Davewriter: DAZ claims that the move to split along gender was going to make it possible for greater gendered details. I think it will also make it easier for content creators to make more elaborate gender specific goods. I wouldn't be too worried about G1's lower poly count as it works with subd. G2 does offer some much needed detail though.

I understand that, it just came across as V6 was free as you mentioned the base mesh was free, and I guess I percieved it the wrong way maybe..but I didnīt see why that was mentioned..sort of since I think many of us know base meshes usally are free so whatīs the point of mentioning that...but nevermind, my mistake I would say.

I bet Victoria would look great rendered in Lightwave and some fiberfx, so much more to offer in render quality and lighting etc, and some better poses.

Michael

jimzombie
06-22-2013, 12:23 AM
I...sort of since I think many of us know base meshes usally are free so whatīs the point of mentioning that...but nevermind, my mistake I would say.

I bet Victoria would look great rendered in Lightwave and some fiberfx, so much more to offer in render quality and lighting etc, and some better poses.

Michael

Well, actually quite often DAZ has charged for base mesh, like with all of their Gen 4 figures. The basic V and M4 were available free for a time, but the typical state of play was that they were not free.

I agree LightWave has a very good render engine, and I like using it, but one certainly can't look down at 3Delight. It has been used in a number of film productions to create photo real effects. The limiting factor for many DS renders is the materials/shader system that DS has implemented. Fiber fx hair is great feature of LW, but it can be sculpted quite easily with plugins like Look At My Hair or Garibaldi. In fact I bought Garibaldi recently and intend to try my hand at creating some hair for export to LW.

lwanmtr
06-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Daz Studio has good tools for morphing and posing, but their renderer is quite lacking, and lights are limited. Poser, renders much better in that realm...and yeah, Bringing the assets into LW can make some really good results.

V6 looks nice, though they never do make any asymmetry in their ads. The one thing thats always bothered me about the Vicky figures is the collar bone..it looks wrong..lol.

jimzombie
06-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Daz Studio has good tools for morphing and posing, but their renderer is quite lacking, and lights are limited. Poser, renders much better in that realm...and yeah, Bringing the assets into LW can make some really good results.

V6 looks nice, though they never do make any asymmetry in their ads. The one thing thats always bothered me about the Vicky figures is the collar bone..it looks wrong..lol.

See, I still don't buy that DS has a limited render engine. I think the way it is implemented in DS is somewhat limited, but for those that dig through the info there is a lot that can be done with it.

I thought they actually got the collar bones right for a change. I could be wrong but this looks ok to me. That said, I'm not a figure modeller, so close enough is good enough for me http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/5/05_4_2.jpg

lwanmtr
06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I havent looked close at V6 yet, just read the ads so far. Maybe they finally fixed it in the latest one.

prometheus
06-22-2013, 12:58 AM
See, I still don't buy that DS has a limited render engine. I think the way it is implemented in DS is somewhat limited, but for those that dig through the info there is a lot that can be done with it.

I thought they actually got the collar bones right for a change. I could be wrong but this looks ok to me. That said, I'm not a figure modeller, so close enough is good enough for me http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/5/05_4_2.jpg

please do update how it goes with garibaldi hair and eventual export to lightwave.

about the render engine in daz, well it might be capable if you dig trough it, but thereīs one major factor that is important working towards final renders, fast previewer..since it takes quite some time to render in daz, compared to using VPR for tweaking of lights etc, itīs a no brainer, control of inverse falloffs, intensity and a lot of other stuff seen very fast in itīs previewer is of outmost importance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex0sELsKPKQ

The latest poser version seem to have jumped on to a new interactive previewer.

I donīt see any direct faults with the collar bone, what you instantly recognize with daz figures and poser figures, that is alway the bulge flexing or when the upper arm and lower arm is bended, it looks so wrong sinc the state of stretched
arms looks decent..but it canīt handle true muscle and soft body flexing.
Then as mentioned, bad poses destroy a lot including poor eye point target and eye texturing and poly hair.

But..then again, not everyone that needs full realism for some purposes.

Michael

jimzombie
06-22-2013, 01:24 AM
please do update how it goes with garibaldi hair and eventual export to lightwave.

about the render engine in daz, well it might be capable if you dig trough it, but thereīs one major factor that is important working towards final renders, fast previewer..since it takes quite some time to render in daz, compared to using VPR for tweaking of lights etc, itīs a no brainer, control of inverse falloffs, intensity and a lot of other stuff seen very fast in itīs previewer is of outmost importance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex0sELsKPKQ

The latest poser version seem to have jumped on to a new interactive previewer.

Michael

I totally know where you're coming from with the VPR. Since I updated to 11.5 it has been a very handy tool. The progressive render in DS is quite handy for providing rapid feedback on materials and lighting though. I think it won't be long before they implement their own real time raytrace privew.

Davewriter
06-22-2013, 08:48 AM
I agree on the garibaldi hair, would love to hear how it goes. It looked interesting... and almost too easy - on the Daz end. And I was afraid to think what would happen during a transfer to LW

safetyman
06-23-2013, 06:31 AM
If you've downloaded DS in the past (and you have an account with Daz3d.com), then you can get the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials for free also. I believe you have to have the latest version of DS to use Genesis 2, but I could be mistaken. There's a lot of talk going on about splitting the genders with Genesis 2, some good, mostly bad. I've heard that Victoria 6 isn't much different from 5, but I don't have that model so I can't tell. I can tell you that the autofit tool works well on Genesis 2, so I've been able to put Genesis 1 clothes onto G2 without any issues, but I haven't tried everything.

rcallicotte
06-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I tried to talk the developer of Garibaldi hair to do something with Modo, but he has limited resources. LW has other options Modo doesn't, but this Garibaldi hair process seems fairly good. That said, I've never used anything else, other than Lightwave or Modo for hair.

rcallicotte
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I tried to talk the developer of Garibaldi hair to do something with Modo, but he has limited resources. LW has other options Modo doesn't, but this Garibaldi hair process seems fairly good. That said, I've never used anything else, other than Lightwave or Modo for hair.

I don't see any incentive to get interested in V6, at this point. Genesis 2 has some improvements, from what I've heard.