PDA

View Full Version : BVH on Genoma

Philbert
06-20-2013, 10:54 PM
I was playing with autodesks Project Pinocchio and made a couple of characters. Then decided to try rigging them with Genoma. Easy enough. Then I thought to add mocap to the mocap Genoma skeleton. I have a ton of BVH files, is there any way I can use them with this? I watched Lino's Siggraph video where he does it but he uses an FBX file, so the loading process is different.

erikals
06-21-2013, 05:31 AM
good request, i'd like to know too... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Hail
06-21-2013, 05:53 AM
me too :)

RebelHill
06-21-2013, 07:43 AM
The answer is... you cant.

Well, you may be able to hack something outta IKB in some circumstances to get the basic motions over, but that'll only work if the local orientations are the same, and wont give you proper retargeting anyway... so in real terms you cant.

Use something like Ikinema webAnimate to upload your character, and retarget your motion, then load the resultant FBX back into LW.

Also, if using pinocchio, there not a whole lotta point in rerigging the whole thing using genoma (apart from the FK offset bits, which... meh)... May as well use the supplied pinocchio skeleton which is FBX compatible and preskinned for you.

Philbert
06-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I tried using it's skeleton first and couldn't get it to work. The bones loaded but I couldn't get them to move for some reason.

RebelHill
06-21-2013, 08:37 AM
dont know what to tell ya... Ive loaded pinocchio stuff before without issue. Post the errant scene maybs?

Philbert
06-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I tried it again, this time the skeleton was normal but the character was a mess on the floor

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Snagit/media/60e55b7f-10a0-4bc7-8e65-7231e8ec5f2a/06.21.2013-11.30.png

RebelHill
06-21-2013, 09:47 AM
make sure ur saving maya preset out of pinocchio (NOT max), in LW reparent the hierarchy to get rid of the base tranformer, making Hips the overall root item... re-rest bones.

Be sure ur familiar with all the ins and outs of how FBX standard is, how LW compares, etc... will make it all much easier to figure out exchanges correctly... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC

Philbert
06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
The maya preset doesn't give you FBX, only the max one. The maya preset only creates a .mb file with the texture images.

RebelHill
06-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Sorry... I meant maya type... not file format... on there Y up.

Philbert
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Oh yes, I've been doing Y up for sure. I did play with it and got it working again, it looks like the weightmaps don't work though, I'll have to play with it.

RebelHill
06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
The weights are fine... its LWs stupid backwards joint weighting thats at issue (which again is covered in the LW<>FBX guide)... either reassign the maps 1 joint off, or import as Zbones, or Zbones with maya joints drawstyle.

LW_Will
06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Hum...

You know, if you can output the Pinocchio character in FBX format, which you can, you can import the bugger into LW.

Also, you can use Larry's tried and true trick using the Import BVH skeleton in Modeler, then applying the BVH to the skel in Layout, THEN saving the whole thing as a FBX. Then add the FBXs one to another...

I'm just saying... :shrug:

Philbert
06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Hum...

You know, if you can output the Pinocchio character in FBX format, which you can, you can import the bugger into LW.

Yes, we just had a whole conversation about that above.

Also, you can use Larry's tried and true trick using the Import BVH skeleton in Modeler, then applying the BVH to the skel in Layout, THEN saving the whole thing as a FBX. Then add the FBXs one to another...

I'm just saying... :shrug:

Do you know if he posted that anywhere? It would be interesting to see it in more detail.

I'm just sayin...

RebelHill
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Its tried... but far from true... its ugly as sin.

Larry had 2 methods... The first was just to reposition the bvh bones into your mesh, skin to those, and go... totally distorts the motion shape, horrible. The second was to punch out to fbx as mentioned, then load that back onto another fbx skeleton. This can only work if the base orientations of the BVH match those of your fbx (you can bet they wont), and even if they do, you've still got no retargeting... so unless by some miracle the proportions of the fbx skel and the bvh just happen to match, you're gonna have more misplaced motion.

Just use IKinema web animate... you'd be done in 5 mins, retargeted and perfect.

LW_Will
06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Its tried... but far from true... its ugly as sin.

Larry had 2 methods... The first was just to reposition the bvh bones into your mesh, skin to those, and go... totally distorts the motion shape, horrible. The second was to punch out to fbx as mentioned, then load that back onto another fbx skeleton. This can only work if the base orientations of the BVH match those of your fbx (you can bet they wont), and even if they do, you've still got no retargeting... so unless by some miracle the proportions of the fbx skel and the bvh just happen to match, you're gonna have more misplaced motion.

Just use IKinema web animate... you'd be done in 5 mins, retargeted and perfect.

Well...

Actually this is very very rough "retargeting". Very rough.

But, as Larry showed it, you generate a BVH skeleton. Then you load that into Layout and apply your BHV. Now, you can save that file to lws.

Why do we do this? To import the BVH file to a Lightwave compatible format. That way, you could import the FBX of the Pinocchio character then import the MOTION of the BHV/FBX file.

The problem your having is that there is no correction for the BVH file. Fair enough, RH, but there is a "fix" built in to each of the skeletons. There are joints at the base of each joint... these allow you to reorient the bone if it does something weird.

However, I think that any motion sold or available (DAZ studio files, Carnegie-Melon or anything you can buy from the web) will be cleaned already. Didn't know about Ikinema as a retargeting platform.
Is that part of it free as well? (This plugin in Modeler is free, btw.)

Yes, we just had a whole conversation about that above.

Sorry about that Phil, I thought you were talking more about the .MA output.

Do you know if he posted that anywhere? It would be interesting to see it in more detail.

He gave us several presentations on using the BVH skeleton several times. I think this method was one of his primary tools.

I also believe he had a DVD on the subject. (Importing Mocap to LW) But it was available from the defunct Kurv Studios.

Try Liberty3D.com, they might know...

Tell you what, try it out yourself. If you have any questions or problems, give me a ring. I'll see if I can help. ;-)