PDA

View Full Version : CPU + GPU (for passes)

cresshead
06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
hi there, just watched this video, okay it's mental Ray in 3dsmax but stay with me on this!

so...3ds max has had a gpu based render option called iRay for a while but the main downside is that to use it you have to light it in a specific manner that is only for iRay, same with iRay specific materials...that mean you just can't load a mental ray scene and hit 'render'.

however...new to mental ray in max 2014 is the option to use the GPU to render specific passes as the CPU renders the main color pass. This way you are no needing to use specific lighting and materials for the GPU..as you'll be using it to calculate the AO pass, z depth and the diffuse etc.

This puts to work the GPU when the CPU is making the main pass... pretty cool idea maybe?
Lightwave...good idea?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wG183KmxlKs

thomascheng
06-24-2013, 04:33 PM
GPU rendering will definitely be the future. I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I want an AMD or Intel SOC for my farm. It looks like AMD has better GPU performance and Intel has better CPU performance.

3DGFXStudios
06-25-2013, 04:18 AM
I don't like the idea. If render engines are going to work like this the price of render nodes would double. I prefer just using one chip.