PDA

View Full Version : Bodypaint 2 with 7.5c anybody use this??

Boo!
11-11-2003, 05:42 AM
...me again!
does/ has any body used Bodypaint 1 or 2 for LW???...
i'm lookin to buy but it only works with 7.5c and i keep seein quite a few complaints about this 7.5c upgrade.
i'm usin a G4 867, 1.5g ram and the ati card it came with but i'm upgrading that to a Nvidia 128mb real soon.
i think the Bodypaint looks all that and bag of chips just want to know if any of you LW masters are with it????....:confused: :) :)

mbaldwin
11-11-2003, 09:41 AM
bodypaint 2 is a great application: it's lightwave plug-ins work seamlessly, allowing you to transport over to Bpaint and back again to lightwave without a hitch.

bodypaint 1(the previous iteration)should be avoided. Bodypaint 2 exsists for a reason--it's dramatically better!

I would grab the demo and give it a whirl: it's the best way to see for yourself whether it fits into your workflow and hardware scheme. My take on BP is, that it's great to own and use, but only if your machine is fast enough to handle it. If you're stuck with too much lag painting realtime on your models, it defeats the purpose of the app. Too slow a machine, and you might be better off gettin old skool with your textures, and going to your trusty 2d photoshop sollution.

Boo!
11-11-2003, 05:22 PM
...thanks dude!,

G4 867, 1.5G ram, ati card that came with the machine(soon tobe a Nvidia 128mb) would that ok to push Bodypaint 2???....

:confused:

oh and have you used it?
and did you find any probs with 7.5c????
cause like i said before, peeps in this forum seem to have beef with that update.

pdrake
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
can you use the body paint textures as weight maps?

mbaldwin
11-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Boo: I'm using 7.5c on a dual 2ghz G5. No problems. Like I said, grab the demo if you want to see how it performs on your machine. Spend a little time with the quickstart section of the BP manual, then you should be fine.

pdrake: I'm not sure--there's nothing magical about BodyPaint textures: they're just tif files, and work with LightWave like most raster files. I've never done a vertex map bake(I've only baked uv's) but I suppose you can(others please confirm--?).

Boo!
11-12-2003, 09:07 AM
...thanks dude!,
could you help with some info concernin 7.5c?
its just that i dont to download it and it gives me a bunch of problems.
at the moment i'm runnin 7.5 and i'm goodie gum drops!
i'll download the Bodypaint 2 and wait to check out more on this 7.5c uprgade...
thanks again!:) :) :)

blabberlicious
11-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Yes, I'm the proud owner of Bodypaint 2 (Mac Standalone)

It's a fantastic product, indispensible for serious texturing and UV mapping.

BUT (and it's a big but....)

After a week of painful testing, and calls to Maxon UK tech support, they admitted that the Lightwave Exchange plugin doesn't work properly in the mac release.

UV information that's editied in Bodypaint (soooooo much better than in LW) FAILS to be sent back to the LW object.

This is a major bummer....especially face with the challenge of using LW UV tools and workarounds.

The UV editing in BP is worth the proce of the app alone....

Amazingly, Maxon's beta testers didn't pick up this major flaw, and it was left to me to convince them that it wasn't working!

But, I must say that Maxon were amazing responsive and candid in their admission about the problem..once it was pointed out to them.

To their credit, he people at Maxon were very responsive, and have aknowledged that there's a problem. They even sent me a PC version to get me through my production nightmare!

The fix is promised sometime this month.

I'll keep ypu posted if the fix is released earlier.

Go for it!

Boo!
11-12-2003, 11:08 AM
...nice one dude!
i'm on it!
what mac system you runnin????...
and have you bumped into any probs with 7.5c and Bodypaint?..
...thanks for the reply:) :) :) :)

blabberlicious
11-12-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm running LW 7.5c and OSX 10.2.8... and Bodypaint 2

All's well....if you don't include all the crap that's wrong with Mac LW (Lscript, Viper, images not opdating, etc.)

Don't WHATEVER YOU DO even THINK about using Panther.....serious bugs in both Modeller and Layout....

A small example; Modeller keeps 'forgetting' the location of the LW directory, so that plugins fails and even saving become impossible...

So any work needs to be constantly saved - how dumb is that?

I knew Panthers were scary, but this is taking the analogy too far.

Best Wishes

Boo!
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
...thanks again,
i think i'll float around the idea of 7.5c since i don't like the idea of puttin stuff on and takin it off!...
i'm with you on the Panther stuff too!...dang nab it!...
but i'm cool with my machine wish serves me well.
please give me a shout when the peeps at Maxon sort there update out...
...thanks again!:cool: :) :D :) :D :cool:

Boo!
11-22-2003, 05:40 PM
...hello Blabbelicious!

i just checked out the Bodypaint help section on there site and i think i saw that question you asked up there with their solution of usin some new plugin for transferin UV maps. just wonderin if that was actually you and if you've tried the plugin yet?...

I've played with the Demo which i recommend to anyone out there...
thanks again for the advice!...:) :) :)

blabberlicious
11-23-2003, 03:37 AM
Couldn't find the 'fix' you mentioned.

Pls post me the link - Thanks

(I would guess the fix is some sort of .obj export thing...which is a bit of a pain.)

But prove me wrong, pls!

Fix Update: Spoke to one of there team who said that the LW fix was next on their list. He also said they work very fast - which for one I actually believe!

I'd give it a few weeks.

I was so keen to experiment with Bodypaint that UV'd this test job in LW - A task that's not for the fainthearted!

Robin Wood produced some superb tutorials on this black art

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWTutSet.html

Apart from all the needless Welding and Unweldign that you need to do, LW's modelling tools make it pretty easy - it's just a bit gutting having to pull out all those overlapping UV's when you know BP can do it in a click!

Cheerio

Boo!
11-23-2003, 04:06 AM
...sorry, just woke up
..er

http://www.plugincafe.com/download_browse.asp?FormAction=SEARCH

scroll down for the OSX version, i think its the 6th one down.
please tell me if how it works out if thats the one...
i'm off to look at that link you gave. looks kinda good too!

peace!:D

blabberlicious
11-23-2003, 04:15 AM
Soory - meant to attach this - which I'm doing in BP -

I've been up for hours, but I still can't see which link you meant.

Perhaps I need some more sleep!

Work in progress!

Boo!
11-23-2003, 05:55 AM
http://www.plugincafe.com/download_browse.asp?FormAction=SEARCH

that should take you right there. if not, just type bodypaint in the search with plugins as the area to look in and again you should find your self there.

:D

Boo!
11-23-2003, 05:59 AM
...sorry dude!, just cloked the image you attached!...
ha-ha! that looks great!...ha-ha...look at the size of the guys head!...
the texture looks cool. how long did it take?...
:D :) :D

P.S checked out the link to the site you left, very nice work. what machine you usin?...

blabberlicious
12-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Just to ley you know that Maxon have posted the the fix for BP 2 & Lwightwave - and it works!

Expect it to appear on their site next week - once they are confident all is ok

Boo!
12-07-2003, 10:26 AM
...thanks fo the tip off dude!
i've been sortin out my 867 for the last 3 days. 9800 card(dont forget those drivers eh) only to go to Cancom and Computer Warehouse and find that they have no stock of Bodypaint! and dont have any coming in!!!!:confused: :mad: !!!!!!....
...!...
did you order yours from the Maxon site???...
thanks again...

p.s
what mac setup have you got and what kind of render times you get?