PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to composite as well as Nuke/Fusion' in LW 11.5?

3dWannabe
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I've always been a bit frustrated by rendering 3D in passes to 2D in LW and pulling those passes into Fusion.

I can't, for instance, have a 3D character that generates a shadow from Fusion's lights, unless the light is facing the image plane (certainly not from the side). [I can use pointcache inside of Fusion for the 3D character, but ... it's not an elegant, easy to use method, and I'd lose LW's rendering]

I can't create a RealFlow translucent wall of water, and put a green screened character behind it and have the image distorted as in real life.

It would all be SO much easier if I could do it all in LW (or to raytrace in Fusion).

But, Fusion (who would have guessed?) is designed to be a compositor, and it really does it's job well.

And even if Fusion fully implements Renderman support, what I now want is unbiased, super fast GPU-based Octane support.

I'm almost tempted by the C4D/AE integration - as in theory, this might give me exactly what I want (at the expense of nodes, massive learning curve, unknown problems, sanity, and in the short term Octane [at least while rendering in AE])

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do it all in LW?

Or, should I switch compositors, and go with Nuke (will they have unbiased GPU rendering in the near future)?

Or go bat **** crazy and try C4D/AE?

DogBoy
06-19-2013, 04:04 AM
I do remember trying this with Nuke a few years back, when i was at DarkSide, to see if it was possible. The guy who wa interested in trying this moved on and when never implemented it on any projects as far as I know. We did have limited success doing it in Nuke (and LW9.6, so recent work on buffers may make it more workable), so i'd assume it should be doable in Fusion too.
My memory is hazy, but i do remember trying to use a normal, depth and diffuse pass to try relighting.

3dWannabe
06-19-2013, 08:50 PM
@DogBoy - Fusion does have the ability to enter a renderer dll, and one fellow has partially implemented 3delight (a Renderman clone).

However, Renderman or 3delight rendering will result in GI that will need cleanup (as does Lightwave GI) for animations. Octane (from what I'm reading, doesn't have that problem as it's an unbiased renderer like Arnold.

Renderman or 3delight will also be CPU-based (slower unless you have a giant render farm), and I'm hoping for GPU-based like Octane.

But ... my real question is ... is it possible to use Lightwave as a compositor? I know that was the plan at one point, but ... that seems to have fallen by the wayside as a priority?

If I can't make it work in Lighwave in an elegant fashion, and Fusion doesn't make some blindingly cool announcement at SIGGRAPH, AE/C4D is looking like my only alternative (but entails going back in time to gag-me-with-a-spoon .... layers).

So ... is anyone actually using Lightwave as a compositor? What are the pros/cons?