PDA

View Full Version : Feature Requests

DCFluX
06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I still have an operational Video Toaster 4000 and also have a Video Toaster 5.3.

We upgraded to the TriCaster 855XD over the past 2 weeks and there are some features from the previous two systems that I would like to see brought back.

One big thing I miss and have noticed right away was gone is the Color Background Generator. This was real nice because I could put a simple background up before and after meetings. Now I have to fade to and from black. It would make more sense for me to have this instead of "FRM BFR" which I still have no idea what that is for and I doubt I will ever use it, or put it in to the channel reserved for Black, as that is a technically a color too.

I love that I can change the titles from the control surface, but I'd like the ability to hold down the fast forward button instead of having to press it 30 times to find the title I want. Also I don't like how the title selection wraps around back to the beginning, can that be an option somewhere?

Also in VT5 I could make a title while the production was going on, now I have to drop the whole Live environment to work on one. We don't really have the budget left to get the standalone Live Text 2 yet.

In Live Text, I'd like to see the ability to zoom in on the editing screen and also a way to precisely position elements, like click on the text and have the x and y positioning info avalible so I can move the text one or two pixels to get it right where I need it. Also I'd like to be able to have a decent background to edit with, like a frame grab off my switcher so I don't have to go back and forth to live to see if the nudge I did aligns the title just right.

Not sure if it is a hardware thing or not, but I would like to see the ability to change the 2 main outputs to 4:3 NTSC when running in HD mode, primarily so I can have more 4:3 outputs without an external distribution amplifier.

Also I'd love the ability to specify 16:9 Letterbox when feeding NTSC output or at least some scaling options, we are having complaints when feeding the projectors power points because some of the text is getting cut off because the scaling is different then it was in the VT 5.3

The Ability to replace the Program and Preview Monitors on the main interface. Primarily because this is redundant when they are present on the Multiview monitor. I'd like to have a larger title preview window here or have all of the internal monitors take all that space.

This is a big thing I miss from my Amiga version was the Chroma F/X as I recall the VT5 tried to do something similar but wasn't quite the same.

I'd like to have the original Amiga VT 2000 and 4000 transitions back.

PIZAZZ
06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Ok. Deep breath...
now go.

on background colors, use the frame buffers and just load a color page there that you like over the network or from a folder of colored backgrounds in the STILLS tab, select the color you want and send it to the appropriate Frame Buffer. (read the manual)

Good idea on the CS workflow for selecting titles.

On LiveText, I would suggest you buy a standalone version of LT or Compix or ClassX or ChyronIP if you need a massive amount of graphics editing capabilities. IF you can just get by with cloning a lower third and revising the new name then you can do that now in the Titles Tab. (read how in the manual)

On zooming in LiveText.... oh how I wish that was there too. :)

You are going to need to keep that external DA around for 4:3 SD outputs. I never see that changing.

Play around with your session type and the Aux output type to get the right combination to work with your projectors. (its in the manual)

Here is something that I don't think is in the manual.... ;)
You can move the GUI monitors up top around by placing your mouse at the bottom of the monitor strip or on the separating bar between the Input monitors and Preview. Slide it up or down to make larger or get rid of the GUI onscreen monitors. You can use the vertical bar to squish the Pre/PGM down on the right also and make them smaller.

If you remember Chroma F/X then you are old. So don't date yourself and bring it up. I remember them too. Thanks for reminding me how old I am and how long I have been doing this. Amiga VT transitions??? really? Cuts and Dissolves man Cuts and Dissolves...

SBowie
06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
on background colors, use the frame buffers and just load a color page there that you like over the network or from a folder of colored backgrounds in the STILLS tab, select the color you want and send it to the appropriate Frame Buffer. Or just use one, and modify it with a Proc Amp ... not to dismiss the fact that the Generator was handy - but I'll take Frame Buffers over that effect hands down. You will too, I suspect, in time.

On zooming in LiveText.... oh how I wish that was there too. :) +1

Here is something that I don't think is in the manual.... Pg. 122. :)

If you remember Chroma F/X then you are old.Count me in. Note that to some degree, you can mimic ChromaFX using presets with the Color Correction effect in a Virtual Input (or M/E).

PIZAZZ
06-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I sometimes dislike you Mr. Bowie. ;)

Of course you can remember everything in the manual when you write/edit it.

kanep
06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
He didn't ask for the Falling Sheep transition, so we are good there! ;)

DCFluX
06-18-2013, 06:25 PM
He didn't ask for the Falling Sheep transition, so we are good there! ;)

For the record I want and prefer the Amiga Falling Sheep version, not the VT5 Trampling 3D Herd version.

And I am still waiting for the scientists at Play to release the Mindphone.

Yeah, I found the way to change the size of those monitors but I'd like the ability to either get rid of them or force them to something I can use, like FX, and still have the 6 internal monitors to the side.

I not only feed projectors with NTSC but a whole slew of other gear. A DVR, DVD burner, CATV Modulators and one of the last Analog TV stations. I think the problem I am seeing seems that the overscan is not what it used to be, even the top and bottom of the HDTV camera sources is getting cut off a bit more then it should be.

As for the color generator, I'd even be happy if that feature was added to Live Text so I could make a quick background, save it as a .PNG and add it to a DDR or Still.

SBowie
06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I sometimes dislike you Mr. Bowie. ;)

Of course you can remember everything in the manual when you write/edit it. :)
Full disclosure, I cheated (thought it was in there, looked it up!)

DCFluX
06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Not really sure if there is another way to do this but I'd like to be able to set the opacity on a DSK. Right now to bring a bug in I set the fader for a DSK and typically pull the T-bar until it is at 5-10%. I'd like a way to set it so I can hit auto or take DSK and it does not go beyond a preset level.

SBowie
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Lacking macros, there's really no way to do this reliably - except the obvious one: make the image semi-transparent to begin with. done.

DCFluX
06-25-2013, 10:13 AM
How about a way to put crosshairs and safety markers on the monitors?

Crosshairs for installations with remote cameras and the safety regions would help with for productions that are outputing both 16:9 and 4:3.