PDA

View Full Version : win xp read-only by default!

jin choung
11-11-2003, 04:48 AM
****ing microsoft!!!!!!!

******* these stupid dumb**** mother****ers!!!! ******* them to fiery flames of ******* ****ing hell!!!

been dealing with all kinds of dumb**** problems with software all ****ing day and i finally realize it's because all the ******* ****ing folders in my ****ing computer are mother****ing read only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited for content !!!!

edited for content****INGBASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THEY DON'T TELL YOU HOW TO ****ING CHANGE IT!!!! YOU CAN'T ****ING CHANGE IT!!!!!

can anybody please tell me how to change ALL the folders and make the default for every folder simply NOT read only?!

edited for content !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jin

Mylenium
11-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Such problems are normally related to user priviliges... Log in as admin and give yourself (as the other user(s) proper rights.

Mylenium

Matt
11-11-2003, 06:20 AM
Select all files/folders, right mouse click, select 'Properties' uncheck 'Read-Only'

:rolleyes:

mattclary
11-11-2003, 06:24 AM

I never even realized the folders were read only until I just looked. But it doesn't stop me from deleting them, presumably, because I'm always an admin on my machine.

Matt
11-11-2003, 06:50 AM
In Windows if you copy files off a CD the 'Read-Only' file attribute is set, you just need to be aware of it.

mattclary
11-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Hell, Matt, I just did a Right Click > new Folder and it shows as read-only. I can still delete it though. Pretty much all the folders on my C drive (all I checked) are marked as read only.

jin choung
11-11-2003, 07:36 AM
hey guys,

thanks but it's answers like these that threw me (not your fault at all, just sayin')

what's actually going on is that it has nothing to do with copying from a cd... yes that's a common cause.

but now with winxp, ALL folders are listed as read only....

you CANNOT change this about a folder... but yep, you CAN indeed erase a folder marked as such!

the ONLY thing that you can change from read-only in xp are ACTUAL FILES. but you CAN mark a folder as NOT READ ONLY and then tell it to propagate that status to all that folders files.... after which, the files will NOT be read only but the folder will have reverted to that status!

ACK!

M$ programmers are ****ing crack smoking dumbasses....

i self edited my first post to get rid of some of the more offensive cusses that got through the filter....

jin

p.s. ok, then there's some other reason that lw will not start! i get a 'encountered a problem' error on mod and lay. hub starts though. photoshop and rhino runs no problems....

Matt
11-11-2003, 07:55 AM
yep, done some tests it's a bag-o-****e! I already knew about the always 'read-only' thing, just assumed it was a GUI bug, but nope even when you have full-access (even under the Security->Advanced settings) folders don't work as expected.

M$ do suck!

Mylenium
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
a) Your folders are being watched by the index service and thus sometimes locked.

b) You changed your view options folders. The resulting Desktop.ini and Folder.htt are considered system files and cannot be deleted without priviliges.

However, both things should normally not display folders as read only... No other ideas so far...

Mylenium

mrunion
11-11-2003, 10:18 AM
OK, when you are saying a folder is marked "READ ONLY", you have to remember that in XP, the "Read Only" checkbox is tri-state. If it has a green square in it (assuming normal color scheme) it is "partially" read only. I believe this has something to do with the "System Restore" feature in XP.

If you click the box repeatedly, it will actually turn into a "check" mark -- then everything IS read only.

Thanx,
Matt

mattclary
11-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I always turn system retore off and I still get it with brand new folders. Also, I don't run the indexing service. I think it's just XPs way of managing rights.

Lamont
11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
How about this one:

I re-installed WinXP Pro and my external SCSI drive will not let me access some folders because "I don't have permission". Same user name, I am the Admin of the system. I get the same error on all machines in my company regardless of OS. I have not found a fix for it yet.

Yeah, and I get the read-only thing too. It's damn annoying.

FenrirWolf
11-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
How about this one:

I re-installed WinXP Pro and my external SCSI drive will not let me access some folders because "I don't have permission". Same user name, I am the Admin of the system. I get the same error on all machines in my company regardless of OS. I have not found a fix for it yet.

Yeah, and I get the read-only thing too. It's damn annoying. If I'm not mistake, that's because you're using an entirely different "host" from Windows perspective. In other words, your external drive's NFTS knows about a user called "OldWindowsCopySerialNumber.username" and since Windows now has a new identification ID, that's why you're getting that error. (You'll see something like S-1-5-9-23-49129487279293-112312359-etc if you look at the security tab, after right-clicking and selecting properties on the directories.). The easiest way to fix this is to remove that bogus random-number user and then add yourself or administrator as the owner. Then, give the group EVERYONE full control.

I get this when I use my external firewire drive to copy data from my desktop to my laptop. It's because the files normally get created with the "full access" flag set only to yes for the actual owner. Giving the directories full control to everybody will resolve future issues.

Lamont
11-11-2003, 02:34 PM
I tried that route. It was on M$ Support and some message board. I am gonna take it to a friend, he said he found a DOS solution, I don't use DOS enough to do it myself.

SamuraiSlayer
11-11-2003, 07:59 PM
uhh.. it might help me to help you if you listed what you have running under 'processes' in the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)...

Lamont
11-12-2003, 08:45 AM
It's cool. I took it to a friends who has a Mac (it used to be mine ;) ), we backed it up to DVD, reformated it and it's working.

This has happened before, but it never got locked up like this.