PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: A Layout Camera in Modeler

robertoortiz
06-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Ok this thread is not about integration between Layout and Modeler.
That is a topic that frankly has been addressed very well on other threads. This thread is more about doing something that can be used right now...

Anyway now that that is out of the way.

Recently I was thinking that it would be cool to have Layout Style camera in modeler. Since modeler lacks a timeline, it could work like a still camera, with all the settings of a regular Layout camera.

The camera could be assigned to the specific object in modeler and in Layout it would be treated like any other camera.

And I do wonder if this idea can be taken further...
Say we use the Hub information that is sent between the camera in Layout and its counterpart in modeler. And there is the kicker, you could do deformations using the timeline IN LAYOUT and hub sent the key frame it is on to the Modeler.
For example, You move the timeline to frame one, Keyframe the
modeler STILL camera, and it saves the object deformations AT THAT FRAME. Move a few frames down, switch to modeller, deform the object, and the changes are reflected in Layout and they can be keyframed in Layout.

What do you guys think?
I am looking forward to your suggestions and ideas.

-R

Wade
06-18-2013, 08:43 AM
sounds like it would or should be workable.

Surrealist.
06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I can't say I have any idea how this could be done or if it is possible.

But I can definitely say it goes on the top of my list of things NOT to try and do in Modeler for the reason it is clumsy and really sounds like a lot of hassle with no real benefit that I can see. Time would be better spent on other compromises such as at the very least, bring Modeler into this century, integrated or not.

khan973
06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi, I suggested that Idea many times, I even tried to pay 2 very well known LW developpers and they were not interested because LW moves and changes too fast or for other reasons.
I guess we'll have to wait or camera model in an other software. I can't believe that major of a feature hasn't been adressed with a workaround solution like I, you and many other suggested.

I even thought it could be a cheap solution like import camera from scene and then you can choose which frame.

I'm seriously considering moving to C4D and use LightWave for shading / rendering. 10 years is a long time when you wait for a feature all the softwares have. Small studios can't do camera modeling which is a big show stopper and business obstacle.

tyrot
06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
that feature - probably is the hardest thing to add .... i cannot believe we still do not have !

hrgiger
06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
im sure many would find modeling in a camera view useful. but how discouraging to get another feature which is a hack slash workaround for yet another issue caused by the split between modeler and layout. id rather see nt focusing on bringing real solutions to adress issues like this.

robertoortiz
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM
im sure many would find modeling in a camera view useful. but how discouraging to get another feature which is a hack slash workaround for yet another issue caused by the split between modeler and layout. id rather see nt focusing on bringing real solutions to adress issues like this.

And you are right.
As I said before, I am suggesting a temporary measure.

probiner
06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Temporary measure... make viewports into cameras on both apps and then you just need to copy one camera settings (Layout) to another (Modeler), this will address not only this issue but more, plus it's a step into a more modern design (even if just a hack under the hood) and I see no issue in NT hacking things in both Modeler and Layout in conformity, building the sense of unification, working on those feature requested bit by bit on the current product, like a usabale mock-up of the things to come. Probably slow and tiring in itself, but at least it's not a full re-write nor an isolated meta.

Cheers