PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick a title

rednova
06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Dear Friends:

Very soon, I will start offering my services as a freelance animator (logos).
I need a title to put in my business card.
I know the obvious choice is freelance animator, but i really would like to have a different title:
1- visual effects artist
2- animator/filmaker
3- moviemaker
Please give me any advice !!!
thank you !!!

RebelHill
06-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Animated logos are graphics or motion graphics... therefore motion graphics artist.

Putting vfx artist when u dont do vfx, or moviemaker when ur not making movies just makes u look like a div.

rednova
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Dear friend:

I appreciate your sincerity, and I believe you are right.
I now realized that I have not explained my whole situation right, so I will try now.
I am learning to make lightwave animations.
My real, main goal is to produce independent movies and try to get them published.
That's why I liked the -above-titles.
My secondary goal is to make commercial logos for television/businesses.
But my main work will be the movies...and looking only to make a few logos.
What do you think about my title now ? (the above titles)
However, I just realized that I like the title 'graphics artist' and that could possibly
cover both jobs.
Thank you !!!

djwaterman
06-20-2013, 12:57 AM
What about Freelance Animator as you described yourself first up. Graphic artist would be a little misleading as it more describes print work, but it is also so generic that it probably could work too. But I'm with RH on this, don't give yourself a bunch of titles that you may not even end up doing.

Go generic, "Designer" "Animator" "Motion Designer" these type of descriptions cover a bit of territory.

If you say filmmaker or moviemaker you better be making films and be all up with the camera gear and live action production, budgets and all that, that's what people will think with that title.

Iain
06-20-2013, 03:57 AM
I use Illustrator in the hope that people won't ask me to animate.
It doesn't work however :)

Silkrooster
06-22-2013, 01:03 AM
What about:

Visual production artist

Surrealist.
06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
You can use a simple title and then bullet your services.

Example:

Freelance Visual Artist

3D Animated Logos

Character Design

Animated Film Shorts

Whatever those services need to be based on what you do.

geo_n
06-25-2013, 10:51 PM
The title given to most artist that can do ANY task here is CG Designer.
Junior CG Designer for 1-5 years experience. Senior for veterans.
Freelance probably not so important whether you're a senior or junior. Most of the subcon(freelancers) we deal with just put CG Designer. But their assistants do put Junior CG Designer :D

JonW
06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Make sure that it can be printed on business cards & letterheads etc. Easy to read, enough contrast, CMYK printable. & as always as little clutter as possible.