PDA

View Full Version : RH Nodal Tutorials... UPDATE!

RebelHill
06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Hey all.

So... Im sure many of you remember my RHN tutorial series on the node editor in LW. It has ofc been very popular, and all is cool... however...

I have come to the conclusion that certain know-how, most specifically that contained within the "Foundations" chapter is something that everyone really needs to have access to, as its fundamental knowledge upon which so much else is based. As such, I have decided to release this chapter for FREE... That's over 2hrs of detailed instruction and guidance on the basics and details of the node system... You can view it here now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpvEwnkC1Q&list=PL1C4072533A16B807

Also, the chapters were available for individual purchase from Liberty3D, and some folk bought this chapter as a stand-alone. For those individuals, I am also offering another chapter of their choice at no extra charge. if you were such a person, you should have already received an email to this effect... if you have not, please get in touch and let me know.

Ok, thats it, cheers all.

(ps... more cool stuff tomorrow :hey: )

OnlineRender
06-16-2013, 03:38 PM
cheers dude

adk
06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I got the whole shebang & it's worth every penny. Can't wait to see what's coming next.

jasonwestmas
06-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks RH! I probably wouldn't even use Lightwave if the nodal workflow didn't come to lightwave. I actually find them quite addictive to use mainly because I discover something new about them every time I setup a new surface. I find that very fun. :) I'm glad you're taking nodes beyond just surfacing.

Hail
06-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Wow!!! These are amazing stuff!
Thats very generous of you.
Thanks a lot!:)

hrgiger
06-16-2013, 06:43 PM
I already have the full RHN and I can't praise Craigs knowledge of LW and excellent delivery enough.

Truly an asset to the LW community who I hope is around for as long as I am.

vector
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
That's great! Thank you so much

kosmodave
06-16-2013, 11:55 PM
WOW. Many thanks for this, most generous. I have RH Rigging and RHigit which are superb but I have not been in a position to get your Nodal series. Look forward to viewing these whilst I save for the full set.

Many thanks

Dave :thumbsup:

Waves of light
06-17-2013, 01:25 AM
That's very kind of you bud.

pinkmouse
06-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Ha! I always seem to be buying stuff just before it goes free! :)

Don't really mind though, these are truly excellent tutorials, so my recommendation is to get the other two ASAP. Worth every penny.

allabulle
06-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I already have the whole RHN tutorials and I encourage anyone not familiar with those to watch the videos. If you can afford it buy the rest of the series. Even if you know the stuff, the way it's presented by RebelHill is quite stimulating. Sometimes I watch a random video of the series and after a while I find myself trying something else, often not remotely related to the video I was watching. Oh, and he does edit the videos, so none of the 'ummm' and 'errrr' and 'where was I' we've sadly come to expect lately. He's quite articulate too, which is refreshing.

If it's late at night and you ran out of cigarettes, be careful with some of the videos though. You can almost see how he tries to avoid dropping any ash to the keyboard.

Davewriter
06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
So did they just open a Starbuck three doors down from you? Or did you win a grand prize drawing from Monster Drink?
Either way, I'm loving it!

RebelHill
06-19-2013, 05:09 AM
and he does edit the videos, so none of the 'ummm' and 'errrr' and 'where was I' we've sadly come to expect lately.

This presumes im in the habit of umming and erring and getting lost on my own path... which, ofc, I dont ;)

allabulle
06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
This presumes im in the habit of umming and erring and getting lost on my own path... which, ofc, I dont ;)

That's the spirit!

chikega
06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to the next chapter in Nodal training :)

Tobian
06-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Very generous to the community RH! I shall take a look!

Cobalt
02-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question concerning the RH Node video training series. I have only recently started this video series and am attempting to do some of the projects in LW 2019. In the "Big Blue" training video, the project appears to be dependent on the POM node plug-in ... which as far as I can tell, does not work in LW 2019. Is there an alternate node option to use other than "Get Material" and "Store Material"? Thanks for your time to reply.

RebelHill
02-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Woulda gone better here...

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130380-RH-Nodal-Tutorials-RELEASED

perhaps.

Anyhow... yes, the POM wont work in recent versions, however, big blue isnt really dependent on them, they are (were) just kinda helpful and convenient. As an alternate, you can use a compound to stash the network in, then if you make changes in one, you can quickly copy and replace in the other place.

However, you'll also notice that although we use displacement node editor in those tuts, we only displace on the one axis, Y, so its really no different than a height map. With that in mind, in current LW, you ca simply use the displace input in the surface editor, and turn surface displacement on in the object properties. That way, you can do all the work in the one editor without the need for the Pom "pipe-through".

Cobalt
02-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! On a different note, after your numbered intro videos, which of your nodes project videos is the easiest to jump into for a nodes beginner like me? Thanks again!