PDA

View Full Version : 11.5.1 FFX Load/Save file requester still broken?

jwiede
06-15-2013, 05:47 AM
The Mac FFX bug about the incorrect file requester wasn't mentioned in the 11.5.1 change list, which surprised me, so I immediately checked to see if it was actually fixed and just forgotten from the list. Unfortunately, now the problem appears "flipped" here -- now Load incorrectly brings up a "Save" requester, where IIRC, before Save incorrectly brought up a "Load" requester. Might be that both operations are using a common define for which type of file requester to bring up (hence the flip in behavior), when they should each be using the type matching the op.

Can someone else please confirm the 11.5.1 FFX Load/Save behavior I'm seeing (where Save brings up a Save requester, but now Load brings up Save requester as well)?

Spinland
06-15-2013, 07:43 AM
From my initial checking it appears to work exactly as it did for me in 11.5, no change. Load works normally, save gives me another load button instead, so to save I have to have an existing file that I can select to overwrite.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 08:19 AM
New behavior noted here: if I open a file that has a couple of instances of FFX created in 11.5, all the instances are doubled in 11.5.1's panel and trying to deactivate one of them crashes Layout. If I open the file in 11.5 and deactivate all FFX instances, it looks like it opens up in 11.5.1 okay, though I haven't yet tried re-applying the instances from saved files.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Okay, FFX has been broken in a big way from what I can see. I created new instances in 11.5.1, saved and re-opened, and they were all duplicated. If I uncheck one, its duplicate is also unchecked, and if I try to deactivate any of them Layout crashes. Going to fog this.

ON EDIT: sorry to hijack the thread with a different issue. New thread (including NT's response) here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136017-LW11-5-1-loading-FFX-scene-duplicates-all-FFX-instances

Spinland
06-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Okay, I fogged this again: case 61282.

ON EDIT: as expected the day after a release, they're pretty quick with responses. This one (the save dialog still being broken) is getting passed on to the devs.

jwiede
06-15-2013, 03:11 PM
This one (the save dialog still being broken) is getting passed on to the devs.
Yeah, I guess that's good, though it's disappointing an issue this much of a blocker (and for which the fix, fixing the params to the requester API, should be near-trivial) wasn't addressed the first time around. I could swear you even mentioned that Lino acknowledged the bug in a conversation you had with him -- you mentioned it in a post you made towards the end of the "FFX always disappoints" thread (where this issue was discussed previously). Or did I misunderstand?

Unfortunately, unless they release a hotfix or another update to 11.x (neither seems that likely), this issue won't be fixed in the 11.x dev cycle.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 03:16 PM
No, I thought it had been made clear and I am also very surprised it didn't make this release.

Cageman
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Is this bug also in Windows version of LW? (if you can test it?). If not, I guess NewTek needs to add more Mac testers to their closed beta!!

Greenlaw
06-15-2013, 06:51 PM
The Save Settings requester in Windows says 'Open' instead of 'Save' but it actually saves. On Windows, this just a cosmetic issue--no big deal. I hadn't even noticed it said 'Open' until I saw this thread.

The issue on the Mac, I understand, is a much more serious problem: the Save Settings requester says 'Open' but it does not allow you to actually save.

I agree--it sounds like NT needs more Mac testers.

G.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
On the Mac, not only does the button say "open" but there is no place to enter a file name. The only way to save settings is to select an existing file and "open" it, and it gets overwritten with the instance settings. Works okay so long as you remember to pre-position some blank text files named appropriately.

Greenlaw
06-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Ugh, annoying. But I'm glad you're able work around this. I use the feature all the time here. :)

G.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
I've generated a lot of interest from a potential big client in a bear character I created to pitch their product. FFX working effectively is highly critical for me. :)

jwiede
06-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Ugh, annoying. But I'm glad you're able work around this.
Well, the problem can be worked around, but expecting users to routinely leave Layout, go create the throwaway file somehow, then come back to save is asking a LOT. It's also not something many users will "discover" on their own, and many users do not frequent the forums. Very irritating it wasn't fixed, IMO.

jwiede
06-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Is this bug also in Windows version of LW? (if you can test it?). If not, I guess NewTek needs to add more Mac testers to their closed beta!!
If this situ has reached the point where we need to point out problems in their beta test population coverage, the relative tester populations aren't the real problem.

kfinla
06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Dang, I thought the looked a bit light.. this fix and the Genoma rig export crashes were the first hings i was hunting for.

jwiede
07-23-2013, 06:15 PM
So has anyone checked yet whether this bug fixed in Mac LW 11.6?

jwiede
07-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Hooray! This bug does appear to be fixed! I'm still having some trouble getting fibres to show up in the viewport in Mac LW 11.6, but the save/load requesters do appear to be working as expected (iow, files are being saved/loaded as well, not just correct requesters displayed). Thanks LW3DG!

Greenlaw
07-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Glad they got it straightened out for you. :)

Not that it made a difference in the Win version but I just checked and it says 'Save' there too instead of 'Open'.

G.

CaptainMarlowe
07-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah, that's a nice fix, now we can work with FFX again ! Thanks LW3DG.

Spinland
07-29-2013, 06:41 AM
This was a prime reason I installed the pre-release for 11.6. My current number one gig involves a character with multiple fur surfaces and the klunky workflow of transferring the settings between scene files has been a huge PITA.

kfinla
07-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Is Genoma less crash prone on the Mac side? needing to generate rigs in bounding box etc.

Spinland
07-29-2013, 08:20 AM
The down side is that at least in the pre-release the problem persists where the FFX instances are still duplicated the next time you load a saved scene. From that point on you can't deactivate any of them without crashing Layout. I just emailed an updated to my FogBugz report. They had responded to say it was fixed. Sigh.

ON EDIT: this problem appears to be isolated to scenes where you've created one instance of FFX on a model, then cloned it to create a second fur type on the same model. Once you do that, and save the scene, the problem is there when you reload the scene.