PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.5.1 Update!

SteveH
06-14-2013, 06:44 PM
I just got a news leter from NT saying there's an update.
Look in your mailbox's now!
Not sure what the point upgrade has in it - anyone know?

nickdigital
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I know this bug is fixed.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134824-MorphMixer-ARRRRGGGHHHHH

I believe this is fixed too.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133262-Graph-editor-11-5-black-screen

Along with a lot of other bug fixes.

moussepipi2000
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
no new features, its a bug fix, long list always welcome!

digitaldoc
06-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I know this bug is fixed.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134824-MorphMixer-ARRRRGGGHHHHH

Along with a lot of other bug fixes.

Tap dancing and singing the hallelujah chorus!!! :thumbsup::newtek::thumbsup:

cresshead
06-14-2013, 07:44 PM
no kinect update then...looking more and more like lw12 is a kinect release to me!

erikals
06-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Kinect in 12 is alright by me, wonder what other things 12 will bring...

gclayton
06-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Why is it "alright" for the Kinect stuff to be in LW 12 when Rob specifically stated it was already in LW 11.5!

geo_n
06-14-2013, 09:40 PM
no kinect update then...looking more and more like lw12 is a kinect release to me!

If its a two kinect system I'm ok with it for lw 12.
For lw 11.5 which was mentioned to have kinect, a basic one kinect system is ok.

erikals
06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
if i remember correct, NT stating that 11.5 would have Kinect was a mistake...
pretty sure i read that somewhere...

Waves of light
06-15-2013, 02:30 AM
yes, Rob replied to one of my posts stating it was a mistake and in development. Bug fixes, good news... time to back up configs and menu branches.

Kaptive
06-15-2013, 03:33 AM
Kinect... It could be in 11.6? :)

Not every major LW release gets a .6... but (historically) the ones that do, usually contain new features. Well, here's hoping eh.

Thanks to the devs for the fixes. Most appreciated!

Waves of light
06-15-2013, 04:37 AM
This was a technology preview at NAB and is not currently available at this time. I've asked Waskul.tv to add a title card at the beginning of that video to clear this up and to eliminate any further confusion. This particular presentation had a technical issue at the time so my complete presentation was not streamed and unless you watch the entire video until the end it was not clear that this was a technology preview due to the missing content. We are planning now how to roll out this technology and have not determined the specifics yet. We are deep into the second week of our development meeting in our new LightWave 3D Group offices in Burbank, CA at the moment and I'm certain that much good will be coming from our very exciting meetings.

That's Rob's response from another thread re. the Kinect preview at NAB with Lino.

There's just too much for the devs to consider at the moment, seeing the Kinect stuff released as a point upgrade that is. The differences in the current version of the Kinect (Win v Xbox) and the new version coming out alongside the Xbox One. It will be LW12 in my opinion.

lardbros
06-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Glad they got that MDD loader thing sorted... it was actually a load of useless pap before, the way it handled the autoassign. Hope this now works on my scene properly! :D

Nice list though, and some speed improvements in volume mode FFX! Nice!

Phil
06-15-2013, 05:39 AM
yes, Rob replied to one of my posts stating it was a mistake and in development. Bug fixes, good news... time to back up configs and menu branches.

No need, 11.5.1 uses a separate config location. You'll need to export your menu and keyboard settings out in 11.5 and import them in to 11.5.1. You'll also have to re-add all of your plugins if you don't use autoscan.

Waves of light
06-15-2013, 05:47 AM
No need, 11.5.1 uses a separate config location. You'll need to export your menu and keyboard settings out in 11.5 and import them in to 11.5.1. You'll also have to re-add all of your plugins if you don't use autoscan.

Yep, you're probably right because there won't be any additional features/tabs. But I use heavily modded list menus using the CTRL+SHIFT+RMB (or LMB or MMB) and the 11 to 11.5 jump caused issues, so I'm just cautious. Also, and this maybe something I'm doing wrong, I have to redo any menus that are linked to the LWCAD plugin. It's the same whenever Viktor does point updates too.

I'm out of the country at the moment, but when I get back I will install 11.5.1 and record any issues I have to show you what I mean.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 07:35 AM
The Mac bug where too many controllers in your Genoma rig crashes Create Rig appears to have been fixed.

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 10:14 AM
The Mac bug Where Jullene2 didn't work if in poly mode is fixed as well.

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I may be having some rendering issues on the MAc Side. Let me look into this more.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
If you have old scenes using FFX you're probably going to be unhappy, but you'll need to clear them out in 11.5 and re-do them by hand in 11.5.1 or else FFX gets corrupted. Even loading saved settings from 11.5 instances screws things up. NT's response basically nails that as what we have to live with. Don't nuke your 11.5 installation until you've used it to deactivate all old FFX instances if you plan to use the scenes in 11.5.1.

allabulle
06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Quite a lot of bugfixes. Nice!

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
If you have old scenes using FFX you're probably going to be unhappy, but you'll need to clear them out in 11.5 and re-do them by hand in 11.5.1 or else FFX gets corrupted. Even loading saved settings from 11.5 instances screws things up. NT's response basically nails that as what we have to live with. Don't nuke your 11.5 installation until you've used it to deactivate all old FFX instances if you plan to use the scenes in 11.5.1.

No, Something is wrong here. Same exact scene.

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
And what the hell are these messages. There not even related to the file I opened! I'm getting these in every old file I open.

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Ok, I had moved my Current jobs folder out of the 11.5 folder, and into the Newtek root folder. Thats what caused the messages. How can I do this and not get those messages? Re-save the scene files?

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Oh wow. That was it! When I turned off FFX it renders fine! I have a polishing cloth sitting on the end of the amp with small fibers on it. That scared me. Thanks so much. Now, how can I move my job folder, and not get those crazy messages?

allabulle
06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Preferences>Paths>Content Directory? :)

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Preferences>Paths>Content Directory? :)

Nope, I still get those messages even if I point to where the jobs folder is moved to.

Cageman
06-15-2013, 12:25 PM
That second error-message looks like a I/O plugin failure. Try scanning the pluginsfolder and then open the scene.

Thomas Helzle
06-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Sounds good overall - a big thanks to Newtek/LW-Group for this update - installing right away...

Cheers,

Tom

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
That second error-message looks like a I/O plugin failure. Try scanning the pluginsfolder and then open the scene.

I will, but if I just move the jobs folder back into the Lightwave 11.5 root it works fine. Funny thing is non of it even relates to the job I'm trying to load. If I just Sanyo everything loads correctly really strange.

Spinland
06-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds good overall - a big thanks to Newtek/LW-Group for this update

Quoted for agreement. NT emptied whole pallet loads of bug killer on this release.

OnlineRender
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks LW3D group for the free upgrade . I also must add the documents are looking sweet ///

Philbert
06-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Dumb question. Can this just be installed over top of 11.5? For some reason I always forget with every LW update.

MAUROCOR
06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
The gradient SSS problems that I reported a long time ago are fixed. (Case 48285)
Thank you, very much appreciated!

jboudreau
06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Dumb question. Can this just be installed over top of 11.5? For some reason I always forget with every LW update.

When you install it creates it's own lightwave 11.5.1 folder under Program Files/NewTek/Lightwave11.5.1 It also creates it own configs under the username of your computer/.Newtek/Lightwave/11.5.1

Hope this helps

Jason

Philbert
06-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Oh hmm. OK. at least I know that I can installing it without wrecking anything. Would be nice if I didn't have to set up everything all over again though.

jboudreau
06-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Oh hmm. OK. at least I know that I can installing it without wrecking anything. Would be nice if I didn't have to set up everything all over again though.

What do you have to setup all over again?

Philbert
06-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Not a lot, just loading plugins, menu branches, keyboard settings, viewport preferences, that sort of thing.

dee
06-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I wonder if the color space problems in node editor will ever be resolved. 8~

Tony3d
06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Just figured out why I was getting this message. I have been using a black scene file for all the jobs in this folder. It was saved blank with an image in the watermark plugin. After making about 30 jobs using it I decided to move my jobs folder out of the 11.5 root folder, and into the Newtek root folder. Well the path to the watermark images somehow does not follow, hence the message. Had to load each scene up, and remove the watermark plugin.

Skonk
06-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Not a lot, just loading plugins, menu branches, keyboard settings, viewport preferences, that sort of thing.

Or just go into the 11.5 folder in your user area and copy all the files into the new 11.5.1 folder.

Kryslin
06-15-2013, 04:18 PM

While I can't help with the menus, short of saying back them all up, You can save yourself a whole lot of time by keeping your plugins in a separate directory, and using a hard link in 11.5.1/Support/Plugins to that directory. I keep my plugins in two folders (x32 and x64) and just link the directories in before starting lightwave up. As creating those links changes under each version of Windows, you'll have to search for the right commands or utility to do it...

Sanchon
06-16-2013, 04:01 AM
I don't understand this : "Fixed Case 55587 VPR+third party Sunsky volumetric issue" because volumetrics doesn't work with VPR - Sunsky atmospheric, GroundFog, TrueArt's Corrector are broken in VPR.

Wireframe display preview for instances are still broken but now it works a little better than before. All Instances now gets one color from object item color. Before, if more than one instance slot is occupied and set to wireframe display they had random colors.

Some time ago I worked with garden scene where I had more than 30 types of vegetation. It was hard to set up it if I cannot see different colors in fast wireframe preview.

jeric_synergy
06-16-2013, 07:59 PM
I have yet to discover a (complete) NewTek list of precisely what 11.5.1 fixes.

Is it in the distro itself?

I'm kinda surprised at the cobwebs in the "NewTek 3D Announcements" forum here: isn't that its function?

Spinland
06-16-2013, 08:02 PM
One of the downloads in my account was an eight page PDF listing changes.

jeric_synergy
06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
One of the downloads in my account was an eight page PDF listing changes.
:hedsmak: Of course!!! Too obvious! Thanks. :redface:

Still puzzled by the relative dearth of posts: is everybody out camping?

++++

KUDOS to LW3DG and the documentation team for both a new addenda and a change list. It's so nice to have documentation!!!

dwburman
06-16-2013, 10:20 PM
While I can't help with the menus, short of saying back them all up, You can save yourself a whole lot of time by keeping your plugins in a separate directory, and using a hard link in 11.5.1/Support/Plugins to that directory. I keep my plugins in two folders (x32 and x64) and just link the directories in before starting lightwave up. As creating those links changes under each version of Windows, you'll have to search for the right commands or utility to do it...
I keep my 3rd party plugins in a folder in Dropbox so my PCs are always synced.

Waves of light
06-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Still puzzled by the relative dearth of posts: is everybody out camping?

Funnily enough, yes.

50one
06-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Funnily enough, yes.

Hah, I just returned from the woods. Thanks LW3D group:thumbsup:

djwaterman
06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Don't want to speak too soon but it does seem to run better without the crashes I was getting before.

Is there anything new in the manuals worth looking at?

HenrikSkoglund
06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Thank you Newtek for this update!

BeeVee
06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Don't want to speak too soon but it does seem to run better without the crashes I was getting before.

Is there anything new in the manuals worth looking at?

The only thing changed in the manuals are documentation bugs and I'm glad to say there weren't many.

B

prometheus
06-17-2013, 08:08 PM
I don't understand this : "Fixed Case 55587 VPR+third party Sunsky volumetric issue" because volumetrics doesn't work with VPR - Sunsky atmospheric, GroundFog, TrueArt's Corrector are broken in VPR.

Wireframe display preview for instances are still broken but now it works a little better than before. All Instances now gets one color from object item color. Before, if more than one instance slot is occupied and set to wireframe display they had random colors.

Some time ago I worked with garden scene where I had more than 30 types of vegetation. It was hard to set up it if I cannot see different colors in fast wireframe preview.

not sure what the issue was with sunsky? I havenīt noticed any special issue, exept for hypervoxels not casting shadows when I use the dp_sk sun light, but canīt say for sure since im mostly use 11.03 and not the latest dp_sk sun but the version before.

havenīt downloaded the update yet, have to wait I think.

Matt
06-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Glad they got that MDD loader thing sorted... it was actually a load of useless pap before, the way it handled the autoassign. Hope this now works on my scene properly! :D

That load of pap was my balls up, sorry about that, it wasn't getting point counts correctly, needed to add an LScript command to fix it. You could always assign by hand which will always work, but hopefully now it will be much better. It was also not doing very well with layered objects, now it should.

Let me know how it works out for you.

geo_n
06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
I keep my 3rd party plugins in a folder in Dropbox so my PCs are always synced.

i was using livemesh before microsoft killed it. Now I'm using BTsync. Extremely flexible peer to peer sync similar to livemesh. What I don't like about dropbox is it has to go to the cloud first and you can't sync folders outside the dropbox folder. With livemesh you could and now BTsync. All my lw installs,plugins and projects are synced with BTsync in different workstations.

Sanchon
06-18-2013, 07:26 AM
not sure what the issue was with sunsky? I havenīt noticed any special issue, exept for hypervoxels not casting shadows when I use the dp_sk sun light, but canīt say for sure since im mostly use 11.03 and not the latest dp_sk sun but the version before.

Here is example without Sunsky Atmosphere volumetric plugin :

and with Sunsky Atmosphere :

True Art's Corrector doesn't work at all. LW 11.5 works fine with it.

jboudreau
06-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Hi Sanchon

I found that bug too regarding the wireframe display preview for instances. I fogbugged it and the developer is looking into it. Until we get a fix here is a workaround that I came up with that works. You can do two things to get around this

1. Set your instances to Front face wireframe, changing the color of your instances should work now.

2. Set your instances to Shaded mode and change the color you want each instance to have. Now set your viewport window to wireframe this will show you colored wireframe instances.

Hope this helps, hopefully they will get these bugs fixed soon

Jason

creacon
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
missed that one, they fixed bugs in sockmonkey! I'll have to go back a few years to check why we stopped using that because it had a lot of potential.

creacon

Sensei
06-18-2013, 10:10 AM
LW v11.5.1 has totally screwed up VPR volumetric handling code...

Following code in VPR LW v11.5.1

double CVolumetric::Evaluate(
LWVolumeAccess *volumeaccess )
{
LWVolumeSample sample = { 0 };
sample.dist = volumeaccess->farClip;
sample.stride = 0.0;
sample.opacity[ 0 ] = 1.0;
sample.opacity[ 1 ] = 1.0;
sample.opacity[ 2 ] = 1.0;

LWDVector color;
color[ 0 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 0 ];
color[ 1 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 1 ];
color[ 2 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 2 ];

color[ 0 ] *= 0.5;
color[ 1 ] *= 0.5;
color[ 2 ] *= 0.5;
sample.color[ 0 ] = color[ 0 ];
sample.color[ 1 ] = color[ 1 ];
sample.color[ 2 ] = color[ 2 ];
( *volumeaccess->addSample )( volumeaccess->ray, &sample );
return( 1.0 );
}

is rendering like on attached picture by VPR left, and true render on the right..

prometheus
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
LW v11.5.1 has totally screwed up VPR volumetric handling code...

Following code in VPR LW v11.5.1

double CVolumetric::Evaluate(
LWVolumeAccess *volumeaccess )
{
LWVolumeSample sample = { 0 };
sample.dist = volumeaccess->farClip;
sample.stride = 0.0;
sample.opacity[ 0 ] = 1.0;
sample.opacity[ 1 ] = 1.0;
sample.opacity[ 2 ] = 1.0;

LWDVector color;
color[ 0 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 0 ];
color[ 1 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 1 ];
color[ 2 ] = volumeaccess->rayColor[ 2 ];

color[ 0 ] *= 0.5;
color[ 1 ] *= 0.5;
color[ 2 ] *= 0.5;
sample.color[ 0 ] = color[ 0 ];
sample.color[ 1 ] = color[ 1 ];
sample.color[ 2 ] = color[ 2 ];
( *volumeaccess->addSample )( volumeaccess->ray, &sample );
return( 1.0 );
}

is rendering like on attached picture by VPR left, and true render on the right..

Ajj ajj..as we say over here:)
not sure by your math samples what that means though, impact on volumetrics where? voxels,volumetric lights,fiberfx or instances?

Michael

prometheus
06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Here is example without Sunsky Atmosphere volumetric plugin :

and with Sunsky Atmosphere :

True Art's Corrector doesn't work at all. LW 11.5 works fine with it.

yes..I see now, the volumetric add in sunsky_atmosphere, however I thought that had to do with the light scatter value of 100%
if you pull it down to 0% it should be okey and sligthly increase it...I thought that was how it worked?

Im more concerned that the light type sk_sun doesnīt cast shadows when I have a particle cloud with hypervoxels.

Michael

Sensei
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
It appears that volumeaccess->rayColor[] contains color from environment handler, so skytracer, or backdrop color, etc.
but it should contain color of surface (so geometry) that has been hit by ray-tracing routine.
It's VPR only issue, when volumetric is using rayColor parameter.

drcola
06-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Hello. Could someone report if the Flocking Presets have been restored in this update, like they existed in 11.0. I'm using a Mac. I don't know if that even is a factor.

Thanks!

gerry_g
06-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Volumetrics is definitely odd in 11.5.1, the presence of ground fog (fast fog mode) causes all geometry to disappear from the scene when viewed in vpr, I mean totally gone not obscured by the fog

XswampyX
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Hello. Could someone report if the Flocking Presets have been restored in this update, like they existed in 11.0. I'm using a Mac. I don't know if that even is a factor.

Thanks!

Yep! Herd,flock,fleet,swarm,school. :)

hrgiger
06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Yep! Herd,flock,fleet,swarm,school. :)

No angry mob yet?

XswampyX
06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
No angry mob yet?

Well you can save your own presets! :D

Sanchon
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Sanchon

2. Set your instances to Shaded mode and change the color you want each instance to have. Now set your viewport window to wireframe this will show you colored wireframe instances.

Hope this helps, hopefully they will get these bugs fixed soon

Jason

Thank you. This will help me a lot with some big scenes. Front face wireframe preview of instances is very slow.

dreamtracing
06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Shift camera mode seems not working correctlly ><

inkpen3d
06-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Whilst on the topic of the cameras, the bug report #49923 (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?49923_dguujrj6qvrqlt35) I submitted back on the 6th September of last year reporting that "Controlling camera antialiasing using graph envelope doesn't work" is still not fixed. Surprising given that it should be a simple thing to fix and could significantly cut render times on some projects.

However, good to see that they've squashed a good number of other bugs, so not really complaining too much! :D

BTW, it would be really nice to be able to see a complete list of bug reports that still remain open, though I suspect that NT would want to play that set of cards VERY close to their chest! ;)

Regards,
Peter

dwburman
06-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Is this the issue you're referring too?

From the LW3D 11.5.1 Change List .pdf

• ShiftCamera wasn’t rendering F9 at the same projection as OpenGL. This was due to an attempted fix so that
banking the camera would render correctly. Both issues should be fixed now with a caveat. The fix altered the
way the projection is calculated when you pitch the camera up or down. Old scenes will require that you adjust
the zoom manually to correct.

jwiede
06-27-2013, 07:34 PM
No angry mob yet?

See note w.r.t. volumetrics, and await angry Fx users. ;)

v1u1ant
06-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Just moved house, so not had chance to get the point release until just now. Thanks Newtek for this and your hard work in fixing so many bugs so soon after the 11.5 release, thats really sweet. Id like to also add, as some others here have already, that the documentation on bug fixes is a great thing to have (at last??? I dont remember seeing this information included before, unless ive missed it). It really feels that the coders and the system they are working under is much more aligned to modern project management methods. Good stuff which certainly builds my confidence in the way Lightwave is developing now. Nice and polished feel to the overall release management.

dreamtracing
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
SO....does it means Shift camera changes a new way of contorl? It is not a bug,RIGHT?

sami
06-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Is it me or does 11.5.1 feel a bit snappier? It seems to be faster switching in and out of VPR and other modes...

lardbros
07-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Not keen on those flocking preset icons... strange choice... and please change it to something prettier and less ambiguous.

BUT, as usual... a nice solid release from Newtek!

Still hating the .mdd loader plugin! All I want it to do is match my .mdd to the object name, that is named the same bloody thing! It can't even do that still... seems VERY strange to have a tolerance setting for matching. I just want it to match my objects, not guess... something as simple as:

Objects named:

Tower_Blocks_001
Tower_Blocks_002
Tower_Blocks_003

Mdd's named:

Tower_Blocks_001.mdd
Tower_Blocks_002.mdd
Tower_Blocks_003.mdd

and it can't manage to match those, no matter what tolerance is set. It either does nothing, or gets it completely wrong!

(Oh... and I've got the patch update for the plugin, so it's not fixed in the most current realease either!)

jwiede
07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Volumetrics is definitely odd in 11.5.1, the presence of ground fog (fast fog mode) causes all geometry to disappear from the scene when viewed in vpr, I mean totally gone not obscured by the fog

Unfortunately, nigh-all volumetrics in VPR seem broken to some extent. I really hope there's a 11.5.2 planned, because this and a couple other new bugs in 11.5.1 qualify as "showstoppers" in my book.

Matt
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Not keen on those flocking preset icons... strange choice... and please change it to something prettier and less ambiguous.

BUT, as usual... a nice solid release from Newtek!

Still hating the .mdd loader plugin! All I want it to do is match my .mdd to the object name, that is named the same bloody thing!

I would love this content, because it totally works here.

It can't even do that still... seems VERY strange to have a tolerance setting for matching

This was a request during it's development. For situations where the objects might have spaces in the names, but the MDDs have underscores. it uses Levenshtein's distance to do some 'fuzzy' name matching. If you don't want to have it do any of that set it to zero.

lardbros
07-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Oh, okay Matt... just presumed it didn't work, as I've tried it 3 times, on 3 separate scenes, and it works in none of them. Tried on 0% and it didn't match any of them, then tried on 20% and it wrongly matched 2 or 3 of them. Despite them being named as above. Also, in v11.5 it seemed to get point counts wrong too...

Unfortunately the content is at work, and I won't be able to share, but will attempt to duplicate it for you at home, and get it to you.

ivanze
07-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Has anyone used that Python city block in the Instancer?? I haven't seen any info about that.

jwiede
07-04-2013, 10:10 AM
it uses Levenshtein's distance to do some 'fuzzy' name matching. If you don't want to have it do any of that set it to zero.

Matt, might want to add tooltip or such giving what the value's unit "represents" and/or some appropriate range values (ideally using examples). That info would be very useful, that field's usage is kind of "opaque" right now.

allabulle
07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree with jwiede.

Matt
07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh, okay Matt... just presumed it didn't work, as I've tried it 3 times, on 3 separate scenes, and it works in none of them. Tried on 0% and it didn't match any of them, then tried on 20% and it wrongly matched 2 or 3 of them. Despite them being named as above. Also, in v11.5 it seemed to get point counts wrong too...

Unfortunately the content is at work, and I won't be able to share, but will attempt to duplicate it for you at home, and get it to you.

Please, if you can get some content that recreates this I would appreciate it. As I say, it works perfectly fine on the various test content I have here.

Matt, might want to add tooltip or such giving what the value's unit "represents" and/or some appropriate range values (ideally using examples). That info would be very useful, that field's usage is kind of "opaque" right now.

It should be in the manual. Failing that here's how it works, and why it's a percentage.

Levenshtein's distance (in this particular usage) represents the minimum number of changes via insertion, deletion, substitution needed to turn one string into another. But as the string sizes can change completely for each of the objects & MDDs, giving it an absolute number wouldn't work, so a percentage was used. It can be quite sensitive, and honestly, I would rather just stick with exact name matching.

That said, I just am not seeing the issue with it failing to catch straight matches such as "Object.lwo" and "Object.mdd", it works for me here every time.

If anyone can get me content that fails in this regard I would be very interested.

Philbert
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
What's this about a python city block.

Matt
07-05-2013, 12:15 AM
What's this about a python city block.

It's simply an example Python script that shows how to control the instancer via scripting.

Philbert
07-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Oh ok it sounded like the start of a City-Gen type of thing.

geo_n
07-05-2013, 10:22 AM
so stick with 11.5 till 11.5.2 comes around with critical fixes?

lardbros
07-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Found a repeatable bug with FFX.... each and every build, i try and use FFX again, and fail! Very frustrating indeed.

Steps to reproduce:
1. In layout, create a sphere
2. Add fiberfx to the sphere
3. Now right-click the FFX on the sphere to turn it into 'Polygonized Mixed'
4. Now, deactivate FFX
5. Select the sphere, and save it as a new object.
6. Now open up FFX again, choose the new polygonal surface that has been created.
7. Add fiberFX to this surface
8. Render or click 'show in viewport' for the FFX and it will crash.
9. Tried this multiple times, and it does it every time

lardbros
07-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh, and Matt... on the MDD multi-loader issue... I think it's layers that are the problem. I did another quick test with a multilayered object, with bullet, and again... the multiloader doesn't even recognise the difference between two different layers.

Will test again at home, and duplicate! :D

Matt
07-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh, and Matt... on the MDD multi-loader issue... I think it's layers that are the problem. I did another quick test with a multilayered object, with bullet, and again... the multiloader doesn't even recognise the difference between two different layers.

Will test again at home, and duplicate! :D

Layout doesn't really have "layers" as such. They are just objects grouped together. Did you try checking the "Object Layer names Only" checkbox?

lardbros
07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Layout doesn't really have "layers" as such. They are just objects grouped together. Did you try checking the "Object Layer names Only" checkbox?

Errmmmm... didn't try that I don't think... or didn't notice it. Hang on, I haven't had a chance to deal with this... absolutely crazy with work at the mo! Sorry Matt!

Oh... and just out of interest... how come the MDD MultiLoader can't just match everything? Not that I've tried the tick box, but surely if I had 100s of objects that needed matching, some layers and some just objects, this wouldn't work very well would it?

lardbros
07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Just tried this at home... exactly as I did at work, and it's absolutely fine!

Will double check my scene at work, it may have been something that was dodgy in 11.5, and is now sorted completely?! I hope so! :D

Looking forward to some Siggraph streaming from you guys, unfortunately can't be there... but will see you next year in Vancouver (if you go to Vancouver next year of course...)