PDA

View Full Version : Terragen 3

rcallicotte
06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Maybe you've heard, but his is on the horizon - http://terragen3.com/

You can sign up for a free give-away, too.

prometheus
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
interesting, need to find out how fast the new previewer is, the former tested demoīs of terragen 2 was way to slow for meto get involved in it since that held back artistic creativity.Nice to see FBX support, hat might be a very good option.

Men in steel..now is there any info on how or on what they used terragen for? landscape or perhaps cloud renders? on the link I only find statements.Hereīs some Terragen showcases
http://planetside.co.uk/galleries/tg-in-film

terragen 3 news..
http://terragen3.com/announcing-terragen-3-professional/

rcallicotte
06-21-2013, 10:43 AM
One of the biggest selling points for TG3, I believe, is the rendering in layers - much better results to an already great render engine. I am hearing the renderer is faster and the preview window much faster. Not sure what was done in the recent Star Trek or Superman, but both used some Terragen. You could ask on the forums. Planetside community, including the staff, are always very friendly.

prometheus
06-21-2013, 03:58 PM
One of the biggest selling points for TG3, I believe, is the rendering in layers - much better results to an already great render engine. I am hearing the renderer is faster and the preview window much faster. Not sure what was done in the recent Star Trek or Superman, but both used some Terragen. You could ask on the forums. Planetside community, including the staff, are always very friendly.

Thanks..I might ask abut that on those forums.

jwiede
06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I'll definitely upgrade my Terragen regardless, but I'm interested to see how much they've incorporated from "terrain map prep tools" like World Machine and Geocontrol. Terragen has an extremely powerful engine, but it has a very steep learning curve to get realistic results. Apparently it's pretty common for folks to use World Machine or Geocontrol to do a lot of the map prep work, and then shift everything over to Terragen for integration and rendering. I definitely find that approach easier than trying to get a realistic broadly- and deeply-detailed terrain from scratch using just Terragen's nodes.

silkroadgame
06-23-2013, 01:29 AM
It's interesting!

prometheus
06-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I'll definitely upgrade my Terragen regardless, but I'm interested to see how much they've incorporated from "terrain map prep tools" like World Machine and Geocontrol. Terragen has an extremely powerful engine, but it has a very steep learning curve to get realistic results. Apparently it's pretty common for folks to use World Machine or Geocontrol to do a lot of the map prep work, and then shift everything over to Terragen for integration and rendering. I definitely find that approach easier than trying to get a realistic broadly- and deeply-detailed terrain from scratch using just Terragen's nodes.

I think you would run into detail qualilty issues when using the height map and displacement approach, but that depends on how
close you aim to focus with the camera etc, so the infinite detail fractal approach delivers at all time no matter how close the cam
gets, thatīs the beauty of vue infinite procedural detail, comes with a cost of rendering time though, but it is unsurpassed in detail quallity.
It would also depend on how youré system can handle displacement levels at several millions of polygons.

Using fractals based on procedurals also means the option to change the terrain if you need it, where you with heightmaps need to go back to world machine or geocontrol and redo it over again, but then again ..if you plan carefully or is satisfied with the output
from world machine or geocontrol, that might not be such a big issue, It is interesting discussing the proīs and conīs of the two methods between generated height maps, and creating procedural terrains.

Please shout out loud if you see any demo version of terragen 3 available on planetside.

Michael

rcallicotte
06-23-2013, 09:16 PM
@jwiede - yes, using imported heightmaps is pretty standard and both of the software packages you mentioned, GeoControl and World Machine, are very popular. This is true even among the staff, but I can't speak to what has been done on all of the projects Matt (the programmer) has done. I know it was used on Tron, which seems really non-conventional for Terragen, but it sure was cool looking.

@Michael - yes, I will. The demo might come later, though.

prometheus
07-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Crosspost here...
nahh...I just installed the terragen 3 free version, same ol slow previewer that canīt display clouds in a decent fast manner, I mean...ogo taiki in lightwave is much much faster...and I consider that normally to be slow that could
need a speed boost of 5-10 times...so imagine how I feel about previewing this in terragen, think i still need to look over to vue unfortunatly.

Michael

rcallicotte
07-24-2013, 09:54 PM
In my opinion, Vue is not as robust as Terragen overall, but Vue is better at including objects with a decent renderer, albeit thin overall presentation. TG is solid all around. Also, the new layers system for compositing in TG3 is going to be the best. I have Vue, but TG3 will be very good for stills. Animation is something I'm unsure about right now with TG. I didn't have much luck in TG2 and yet Vue always seems sorta fragile. But, maybe that's because I have the Artist's version of Vue...not sure how the more expensive versions are.

By the way, the Terragen 3 Beta is FREE RIGHT NOW!

http://planetside.co.uk/terragen-3-free-download

jwiede
07-24-2013, 11:02 PM
And having upgraded, I'll just say I'm finding Terragen 3's performance _much improved_ over 2.

prometheus
07-25-2013, 04:51 AM
And having upgraded, I'll just say I'm finding Terragen 3's performance _much improved_ over 2.

I couldnīt see any of that in the previewer with atmosphere and clouds turned on, extremly slow, vue is way more effective when tweaking atmosphere and to get feedback on what to expect.
if it just were for the atmosphere i think even ogo taiki would be a much better deal since you have a faster preview of clouds in VPR.

Michael

rcallicotte
07-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Good to hear. I have plans to upgrade.

sadkkf
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I've used TG off and on (always the free version) and really found it painfully slow. It's good to know TG3 could be faster.

Of course, I just bought Vue 11 Infinite.

How well does TG work with LW? Can I export trees, rocks, etc into LW with textures and vice-versa?

rcallicotte
07-25-2013, 03:00 PM
There's a way to export terrain as an LWO (Microexport) and FBX, but as far as other things like objects in the scene - I haven't tried it with the new version, since I don't yet have it. You could ask on their site and someone would answer it explicitly without you needing to wait very long to get an answer.

I've used TG off and on (always the free version) and really found it painfully slow. It's good to know TG3 could be faster.

How well does TG work with LW? Can I export trees, rocks, etc into LW with textures and vice-versa?

prometheus
07-25-2013, 06:10 PM

As I discovered, terragen 3 doesnīt show any significant speed improvement for the previewer when tweaking clouds and atmosphere,
its still very slow so thatīs a dissapointment, at least on my machine with 8 cores, asus laptop 64bit windows7 home i7-2670 QM CPU 2,2 GHz
8GB ram, nvidia gtx 560M.

canīt test it on my better comp yet, specs under my sign.

I could tweak and render ogo taiki volumetric clouds in lightwave with VPR faster, and also faster in final render, also vpr can give larger previewer.

Ivé just stumbled upon a new cloud tool called Helios that might be promizing..you should have looked in to vueXstream for combination with lightwave, and this
new Helios system is said to be working with xstream and lightwave.
So Helion as I understand it will be a module with a seperate interface, but can render inside of vue or xstream version working with lightwave for example.

I just today asked Dax pandhi about the system, and got some interesting answers, the system isnīt available yet ..maybe a couple of months to go.
there will be new cloud fractals, faster and a new way to render clouds and a whole lot more that seems promizing.
image sample, clouds from Helios.
http://www.daxpandhi.com/image.axd?picture=waDark.jpg
http://www.quadspinner.com/helios.aspx

Michael

rcallicotte
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Looks beautiful, Prometheus. Dax is an awesome person - very friendly and helpful. A genius.

prometheus
07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Looks beautiful, Prometheus. Dax is an awesome person - very friendly and helpful. A genius.

good to see him thrive, think he started out as hobby artist with vue, not sure though.
Now involved as environmental artist and contributed to battlestar galactica chrome, and defiance, and also space command in the works.

Regarding terragen... for me it looks like I wonīt dig deeper in to that, will also wait to see what next versions of vue will bring and how the Helios addon cloud system works.
apart from that I think the previewer is still utterly slow in terragen, I simply donīt like the interface and since Ive tested vue before, I know that I am much more comfortable with that
and can be up and running quickly with that.
Also given some opinions on how well it worked with lightwave does matter.

Rob Powers has mentioned that it worked great ..at least for him with avatar etc.
On the other hand there are those not thinking it be all so good though, like Kat Myers it seems, I think he wrote that the vue and ozone products
was crap to work with in production, probably highly dependent on pipeline and what shots are required etc.

I will have to read up on those Issues Kat had with it and make my own conclusions later on, thereīs a difference working as a one man guy with simple shots perhaps, compared to trying and fit
it in to a studio pipeline.

Michael

kadri
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Prometheus from the speed of the 3D previewer point of view you are right.
I said it in the past on the Terragen forum too that using a standard render node instead of the Previewer would be better.
I use another low quality node for previewing mostly.
That is much much faster (it uses all cpu cores to thee maximum in this way) then the 3D Preview window and much more accurate too with lower resolution and detail settings etc..
Terragen is much more usable in this way and the new features are very nice.